Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,

Really got a question that's been bugging me for my next buy. I'm hoping to get some clarity on from both owners.
RS5 B8 Onwers > would you swap the NA V8 for the newer model S5/RS5 ?
New S5 owners > do you have fun with this new model?

Curious to get some random thoughts from people that experienced both.

Cheers

·
Registered
544 Posts
Can't say about the RS5, but I did have a B8 coupe and B8.5 Cabriolet before my B9 S5 cabriolet.

The B9 is just a jump forward in every way, newer suspension design, much stiffer body, no DSG/S-Tronic worries (the ZF 8HP is just better in every way), better MMI system with Android Auto / Carplay, better headlights.

I have the sport differential, it's the 2nd Generation compared to the B8 version and more pro-active (so Audi said), like it's on rails, rollercoaster rails, describes it nicely.

Though I do like the sexy curves of the B8.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Fisher, the answer just now is no. Reasons for that is this is the first time I’ve had a real performance car and I want to experience a true naturally aspirated V8. My RS is not a daily driver, purely one for enjoyment. If I’d went for the V6 S5 I think I’d have missed out on this experience. Have a read of this, it says all...
Also, the heavy depreciation has already affected my B8.5 so for me that’s where the smart money is as well as being last of a kind.
Break in mind you will get views from both sides, for and against. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't vouch for the B9 S5, because I've never driven one. In fact, I've never even sat in a B9 A5 model.

I have, however, owned a 2011 8P S3 Sportback, with a manual transmission and a 2014 B8.5 S5 Sportback, prior to my current B8.5 RS5 coupe. The truth is, there is no comparison between owning and driving an S versus an RS model. For me, it's as simple as that. It's night and day. If you own an S model then you have a very capable machine, and one with the potential to be as fast, if not faster, than the equivalent RS5, but it's still an S model! Drive an A5 and then drive an S5 and you'll be staggered at the improvement, but the truth is, an S5 is still an A5.

Drive an RS5 and you'll have no doubt that this is a completely different car. If you can afford to run either then test drive both. But once you get behind the wheel of an RS5 and you hear that NA V8 roar you'll be hooked. Tech improvement is a complete red herring, IMO. There's nothing that the current A/S5 can do that's going to stimulate the feeling you get from the look, sound and performance of the B8.5 RS5. I've got a sports diff as standard. I've got a sports exhaust as standard. I've got dynamic ride control as standard. I've also got a speed-activated spoiler. In my opinion, I've got the most beautiful model (excluding the R8, perhaps), Audi have designed and manufactured! One thing I haven't got, nor do I need, is a soundaktor to pipe fake engine noise into the cabin. My 3.0 V6 supercharged S5 did and it was fakery.

I have nothing against A models, nor S models. I have owned both, and loved both, but there's a reason that Audi produces an RS model. Drive one and you'll understand!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Been viewing some videos on particularly the B8 RS5 lately, and it's funny how, back in the day, more or less the entire motor press slated it for it's unsportscarlike drive, especially compared to the, of the time, benchmark E9x BMW M3.

Looking at videos now it is lauded especially for it's NA V8 (rightly so IMO), now that everyone has gone the downsizing + turbo way in one form or another, but also for it being a high watermark for GT/sports cars in general before the "new" current generation set in with the aforementioned engines and trends.

The B8 has been very stout reliability wise for Audi, the V8 is literally a Lambo engine short of a pair of cylinders & pistons. Why wouldn't you like an atmospheric V8 with an 8200 rpm redline? The current major car manufacturers don't make these cars anymore, and despite what the motoring press said back when it was new, I think the general consensus now is that the B8 RS5 was somewhat quintessential Audi, despite lacking a turbo even when viewed without rose tinted spectacles.

Not to slate on the old or new S cars, I would dare suggest the B9 S5 is an improvement in every way over it's predecessor, but IMO I subjectively believe the old V8 RS5, with that engine, will go down as a special Audi before RS became a gmBh of Audi Sport. Before it was run by engineers, now it is run by bean counters. Nothing bad about the new RS5 either, it's a fantastic car, but IMO it is a bit "paint by numbers" simply following the legislative trend of today.

Regards

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can't vouch for the B9 S5, because I've never driven one. In fact, I've never even sat in a B9 A5 model.

I have, however, owned a 2011 8P S3 Sportback, with a manual transmission and a 2014 B8.5 S5 Sportback, prior to my current B8.5 RS5 coupe. The truth is, there is no comparison between owning and driving an S versus an RS model. For me, it's as simple as that. It's night and day. If you own an S model then you have a very capable machine, and one with the potential to be as fast, if not faster, than the equivalent RS5, but it's still an S model! Drive an A5 and then drive an S5 and you'll be staggered at the improvement, but the truth is, an S5 is still an A5.

Drive an RS5 and you'll have no doubt that this is a completely different car. If you can afford to run either then test drive both. But once you get behind the wheel of an RS5 and you hear that NA V8 roar you'll be hooked. Tech improvement is a complete red herring, IMO. There's nothing that the current A/S5 can do that's going to stimulate the feeling you get from the look, sound and performance of the B8.5 RS5. I've got a sports diff as standard. I've got a sports exhaust as standard. I've got dynamic ride control as standard. I've also got a speed-activated spoiler. In my opinion, I've got the most beautiful model (excluding the R8, perhaps), Audi have designed and manufactured! One thing I haven't got, nor do I need, is a soundaktor to pipe fake engine noise into the cabin. My 3.0 V6 supercharged S5 did and it was fakery.

I have nothing against A models, nor S models. I have owned both, and loved both, but there's a reason that Audi produces an RS model. Drive one and you'll understand!
You’ve nailed it with that reply. Say no more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts