Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Shame the S5 will go back to a V6... I think there's room in the S5 range to have 3 sport variants:

1) S5 Clubsport 330HP 3.0l supercharged V6, light-weight with aggressive suspension and with DTM style body kit.

2) S5 GT 350HP 4.2V8 ( like current model, but with luxury stuff as standard)

3) RS5 450HP Uber racer wide, low and effing fast, but subtle styling... like the current S5 on sterroids.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Wait a minute... one site says that the S5 will change to a SUPERCHARGED V6, and the other says twin-turbo... So which is it gonna be? I wish there was some consistency in these "rumours"!!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wait a minute... one site says that the S5 will change to a SUPERCHARGED V6, and the other says twin-turbo... So which is it gonna be? I wish there was some consistency in these "rumours"!!!
I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed as a supercharger, although there's still some questions about twin-charging (supercharger AND turbocharger). At the very least, it'll have a supercharger. It will not have turbos by themselves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Oops, didn't read the autoblog article so closely.

Has there been any Supercharged Audis from factory? I would think Twin Turbo would be a logical choise, since they had some experience with TT S4.

Well, regardless of which engine the S5 gets. RS5 will be sweet.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Glad I have my S5 now, would never give up the V8 for the supercharger V6. The whole reason I bought the S5 was for the V8 and nothing else, other wise I would have bought the 3.0 TDI.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Shame the S5 will go back to a V6... I think there's room in the S5 range to have 3 sport variants:

1) S5 Clubsport 330HP 3.0l supercharged V6, light-weight with aggressive suspension and with DTM style body kit.

3) RS5 450HP Uber racer wide, low and effing fast, but subtle styling... like the current S5 on sterroids.
Totally agree with you there Ianhp1

Oh and what the hell is the point in the A7? I like the rendered speculation but i dont really see the point in the car myself.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Totally agree with you there Ianhp1

Oh and what the hell is the point in the A7? I like the rendered speculation but i dont really see the point in the car myself.
'
...They are already struggling to sell A8s. The A7 will be the death of the A8... not to mention the A6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This doesnt make much sense...a twin turbo V6 ? You mean like the BMW 335 motor ? Doesnt seem very evolutionary....

I expect Audi would like to keep in touch with BMW and MB in the sport coupe/sedan horsepower wars. For the S5 to offer less horsepower in its next engine variation wouldnt seem to give the S5 much of a fighting chance.

It's possible that Audi wants to try and offer a better fuel economy package with performance but given the S5's limited production - why bother ?

I take these rumors with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
750 Posts

+1 :cool:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Exactly, I agree! That's why I don't get too excited when I read some of these things from online magazines. They frequently have incorrect specs, and they are almost always off on delivery dates. I guess they are good at telling half truth though. I seriously doubt Audi would drop the horsepower back down to 333 bhp after having had a 354bhp power output.

·
Registered
677 Posts
A few less ponies but -200 lbs. will be a quicker car. It does make sense. Also the fuel mileage should be several points higher getting away from the gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
A few less ponies but -200 lbs. will be a quicker car. It does make sense. Also the fuel mileage should be several points higher getting away from the gas guzzler tax.
True but no V8 sound, thats what puts the smile on my face :D
V8 rumble or Supercharger Whine.......

·
Registered
677 Posts
True but no V8 sound, thats what puts the smile on my face :D
V8 rumble or Supercharger Whine.......
Here in the States V8's are everywhere. For me they hold no special place for me. Supercharger whine, V10, V12's and other odd sounds like Ducati's and Subaru's find attention with my ears.

However the supercharged V6 should sound very well if exhausted correctly. Listen to the Infinity FX35 for a really good sounding V6. However a high revving TT V8 in the RS5 will be just fine for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Guys, the supercharged V6 is already all-but-confirmed for both the A6 (in 290hp trim) and the next S4 (in 330-350hp trim). It may not find its way into the S5 since it already has the V8, but a soop'd V6 *IS* coming. And it's supposed to be a supremely flexible engine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
cool

I would like to get an S5 with a V8.. but with gas the way it is... it would be hard for me to justify getting it. I drove the 3.0TDI here in germany and its a great engine! But, if they come out with the v6 that has turbos on it or something like that, that would be good enough for power.. and better on gas. If I could afford the gas in the S5, I would buy one though :) They are planning to release a TDI engine for the A4 and the Q7.. but not sure when that is going to happen. The dealer guy here told me most car co.s are waiting til the dollar goes up in value a bit more to release a new product.

But, Audi has really hit it off with the A5/S5. I hope the future cars they come out with are just as good!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Worldcarfans.com just reported yesterday that the new 2009 Audi S4 will in fact have a supercharged 3.0 liter V-6 engine making 350 HP.

This engine WILL replace the 4.2 liter V-8 in the S5 as well!

Better fuel economy and no loss of performance.... so they say!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update on when the supercharged V6 will debut?

Hi all;
When will the new supercharged 6 be available in the US?
This is my first post on the forum so please go easy on me...:D
I have had an S5 on order since last August and was recently advised to expect delivery this August. I think the S5 is one of the most gorgeous cars I have seen rolling down the road, ever! But since I ordered the car the gas situation has changed and now troubles me. It isn't so much the cost as I have paid plenty to keep my ex-VW Phaeton well fed. No, it is more a problem of wrapping my head around how much gas I am consuming.
I am about to cancel my order for the V8 and wait for the supercharged 6. I fear the V8 will become a dinosaur in 4 or 5 years and the 6 will be still be current and desireable at that time. My love affair with V8's is about to end...:mad: (that's all I've had for years; 740, CLK430, Phaeton, etc...
But when will the 6 be available?
My plan is to assume a short-term lease on a 330xi for about 1 1/2 years and then move into the supercharged S5. Is my timing about right?
Thanks for your thoughts!
PopSpin

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Well, they probably want to create bigger gap between S5 and RS5. S5 will become quick car, RS5 would kill M3, C63 and so on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts