Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I know there have been discussions about whether the grill looks better with or with out the numberplate. Some think it's too plain without and some think it ruins the look.

Now I personally think it looks better without, but being in the UK its a must.

I've seen this picture before and was wondering what people think and how difficult it would be to locate the plate there? I know it looks a little jap, but I think I kind of like it (weirdly).

I'd appreciate your thoughts :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Plus I think it'd look a little better here in that offset place as ours are a little smaller, although I'm not a fan of that placement. Have you considered pouring the plate right low down below the usual spot near the front splitter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plus I think it'd look a little better here in that offset place as ours are a little smaller, although I'm not a fan of that placement. Have you considered pouring the plate right low down below the usual spot near the front splitter?
I did think that actually but couldn't find a picture of it as an example :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a license plate holder for the tow hook. I've got one. They install in 5 mins. Literally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ah no way! So it is haha

Thanks a bunch - did you buy yours online?

Yeah I got mine on eBay. For like 40 I think. The one above this post is exactly the one I have. At the end of the day i think it looks clean. Gives a good asymmetrical look.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm on fence. I really like the idea of keeping the grill clear and the fact it attaches to the tow hook is clever. However it kind of reminds me of a taxi with a square plate to the side and won't a square plate up front be illegal?

Of course what we need is too lose the plate on the front completely!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm on fence. I really like the idea of keeping the grill clear and the fact it attaches to the tow hook is clever. However it kind of reminds me of a taxi with a square plate to the side and won't a square plate up front be illegal?

Of course what we need is too lose the plate on the front completely!
I wish! haha

As for legality, I'm sure it will have been discussed before but as far as I can see, the only mention of it on cars is:

For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted from 1 September 2001, registration numbers can no longer be shown over three lines (unless the vehicle was first registered before 1 January 1973). https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/327622/INF104_230913.pdf

Nice and clear as always! I assume that means it's fine?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not sure I like the offset idea. I would keep it in the middle, but then I like things to be as symmetrical as possible

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new front square number plate in the UK (new BS AU 145e standard) and was wondering if anyone had any tips for mounting it to the tow hole? Specifically the number plate seems to be a lot bigger than ones in the US and the subsequent brackets I can find online... Anyone else done this in the UK recently? I've put the RS honeycomb grill on the car and just think the number plates looks way better when mounted on the side (as seems to be common practice in the US).

Mounting it to a 2014 Audi S5 in the UK.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just bought a new front square number plate in the UK (new BS AU 145e standard) and was wondering if anyone had any tips for mounting it to the tow hole? Specifically the number plate seems to be a lot bigger than ones in the US and the subsequent brackets I can find online... Anyone else done this in the UK recently? I've put the RS honeycomb grill on the car and just think the number plates looks way better when mounted on the side (as seems to be common practice in the US).

Mounting it to a 2014 Audi S5 in the UK.
I'm not sure it will work with a UK plate, unless you get one of the smaller ones (like a bike plate), which are also illegal, depending on how small you go. I think the UK square plates maybe a bit too big for the US style tow mount. I have a private plate on mine so it's only 5 digits long and have cut the ends off and mounted in the middle of the RS grille. :)

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Tire Grille

1 - 14 of 14 Posts