Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m collecting my 2023 carbon black edition this weekend so have been researching remap options (as you do)

I’ve used TDI-tuning boxes in the past but like the idea of SW only to save the frame off add and remove all the time.

Has anyone had any experiences on the quantum tuning type boxes that Let you map then remove for trips to the dealer etc?

· Registered
1 Posts
I’m collecting my 2023 carbon black edition this weekend so have been researching remap options (as you do)

I’ve used TDI-tuning boxes in the past but like the idea of SW only to save the frame off add and remove all the time.

Has anyone had any experiences on the quantum tuning type boxes that Let you map then remove for trips to the dealer etc?
Following thread

· Registered
24 Posts
I've used TDI as I like the idea that the box can be removed to avoid any issues with warranty. If you have a software re-map of the ECU, how is this 'undone' when a service visit is required? I didn't see anything on the quantum website about resetting the ECU but I may have missed it.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
There are only 2 ways to address the problem with an ECU remap:
Depending on the ECU hardware it may be possible to have switchable maps and the car switched back to stock prior to a dealer visit. I know that APR offer this for some models. Of course this only avoids a tech discovering the tune from a test drive. If the tech uses a scanner on the ECU the reflash can be detected.
Flash back to stock map. But as above a tech can still scan the ECU and see that it has been flashed, however since the map is stock then the car has not been modified, as per terms of warranty.

The "piggyback" tuning box avoids this issue because they are easy to remove leaving no evidence, however there genuinely are two other issues:
It is not possible to achieve the same level of performance as with a proper ECU remap.
Related to this they can be crude and as such "possibly" detrimental to long-term reliability. For example if they only fool the ECU by interposing in pressure measurement without any affect on fuelling, relying on the ECU to detect lean and make its own adjustments then the ECU will be operating outside the range qualified by the OEM. If the OEM has a very rigorous design and testing system then this might be OK, but if not then the engine might still run a bit lean, and that is bad, especially for turbo cars.

FYI I have never had any issue with dealers and my tuned cars. I am honest with them and they have been fair in return. This has included warranty work where the failure was unrelated to the engine.

Reactions: HTB and Darklight

· Registered
174 Posts
I also got a main dealer warranty repair done on my tuned car - replacement of faulty water pump. The dealer phoned me to say they'd discovered the remap so they were contacting Audi UK.

The answer came back that the pump could be replaced under warranty because it wasn't engine/power train related, so defect not due to remap.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I came across this company - Performance Centre | Dragon Remapping | Scotland who use quantum tuning maps as their base. Their ODB tuner reads your base map then lets you apply and remove the remap on demand, apparantly leaving no trace behind. I've got a TDI tuning box on my Mini JCW with the bluetooth option which seems to work really well, but the wiring loom and connectors are pretty brittle and i skin my nuckles every time i remove and re-add it, so liked the idea of software.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
As HTB and I have experienced, Audi is not automatically hostile to remapping and will honour warranty claims which are unrelated to the tuning. In my case I told the dealer in advance that my S5 was tuned. If I understand HTB's post correctly the dealer was initially unaware but discovered the remap and contacted Audi UK.

If the ECU is scanned with a diagnostic tool the "Flash Status" will be seen in which the programming attempts are listed. If a tuner is claiming that their mapping process is undetectable it is worth testing this by asking how they circumvent the programming attempts being recorded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts