Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been getting at random

Stability Control Fault + TPMS Fault + Handbrake Fault + Sport Differential Fault>

Most of the time they clear overnight, and even had a 3 week stint of no errors.

Took car in for a VCDS scan today and they reckon that Throttle body bank 1 controller is faulty. (and #2 may be on way due to matching wear...80,000 kms)

Other than those errors coming up and going into limp mode when it happens (limited acceleration and no greater then 4000 rpm) the car runs great once the codes are gone, smooth even idle, full power upto 8250 rpm.

Can an intermittent control module on throttle body cause these errors ?. I'm look at around $2000 NZD to replace both throttle bodies.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had your battery checked, even if it starts ok a low voltage can throw intermintant errors.
Yeah replaced that about 4 weeks ago. Reading a bit tonight I see if the throttle body control has even an intermittent glitch on acceleration it can result in other systems in the PCM showing error (Stability Control, TPMS, Sport Diff and Handbrake) would potentially explain why it does it on quick acceleration from low speed.

The car is 10 years old and ex Singapore (heat and stop start traffic) so its plausible the throttle bodies are worn to the point of causing occasional error.

They checked all the wiring and harnesses etc and VCDS said Throttle Controller Error Bank 1.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
BUT if your errors started after u changed the battery then you MAY need to have the battery programmed to your car???

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BUT if your errors started after u changed the battery then you MAY need to have the battery programmed to your car???
Nah the errors were popping up before hand, every few weeks, the battery was ruled out first by replacing (resting voltage was 11.9V so pretty dead) Errors were all cleared and then after about 4 weeks of trouble free motoring got them again.

According to dealer the control unit on the throttle body Is faulty and enough to causes a glitch and fault everything in the PCM that relys on throttle control data (is sport diff, Stability, and for some reason Tpms and Handbrake...)

For some reason they adapted the throttle body again in VCDS so wonder if it loses its adaptations over time due to these errors?

Another weird thing is the car is fractionally harder to start just before these errors happen... Ie an extra 1.5 seconds to start... Possibly the throttle body not opening up?

Anyway I've got 2 new throttle bodies on way and might even treat the car to some JHM intake pipes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just reviving this thread with an update to see if anyone has any ideas. heres the story so far.

1) Stability Control, TPMS, Sport Diff and Handbrake Error
2) Cleared codes and replaced battery
3) 1 month later Stability Control, TPMS, Sport Diff and Handbrake Error + Stored code for bank 1 throttle body
4) Audi replaced throttle body and did adaptation and I fixed a broken PCV nipple on bank 2 intake with jbweld (they reckoned it was causing a vac leak). They also checked wiring and harnesses
5) 4 days later - Stability Control, TPMS, Sport Diff and Handbrake Error + Stored code for bank 2 throttle body + Knock Sensor Error
6) Audi states the vac leak is still present on bank 2 and most likely caused knock sensor to trigger. Bank 2 throttle is now suspected electrical fault

These errors have been intermittant since July this year.

Main difference now after Bank 1 replacement is the dashboard lights seem to clear when restarting twice and I dont get limp mode.
Previously I had to get audi to do a throttle adapation and clear codes to get running again.

So ive ordered a 2nd throttle body and a pair of JHM pipes to ensure the PCV connection never breaks again (although my fix did look solid)

BUT !!!!

Im now wondering is this a potential PCM issue and im playing the parts replacement game ? it does seem strange to have 2 throttle bodies fail back to back after having 4 months of troublefree driving. (Mar -Jul this year). It is a 2010 RS5 with 80,000 kms (ex Singapore) so possible mabey.The errors seem to orginate with stored electrical faults on the throttle bodies which of course would direct the PCM to error out on all the connected sensors that rely on throttle position (Stability Control, Sport Diff etc)

One other bit of info, not sure if related, in Jul the engine and front subframe was out to get crank seals replaced and thats about when these errors started. So I did think mabey a PCM harness \ loom issue, but that would be more regular vs intermittant.

Alot of $$$ spent so far chasing this :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.