Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ordered these thru ECS Tuning as my Christmas Gift! The God of Shipping smiled upon me and delivered them on Christmas Eve. I installed them yesterday and snapped a photo today. The hardest part of the install was the Clutch pedal; PITA to get on there! I feel like my foot sticks a bit better where it should now. Looks so much better in my opinion!

Props to ECS Tuning!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cool... any modification needed to the pedals or the footrest?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Sorry not for me.

RG

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Do you like anything aftermarket?
Only if it is tasteful and could have been there in the first place. I can understand the attraction of some engineering 'improvements' but sticking things on for no real benefit does nothing for me I'm afraid and in many cases can detract from the genuine original beauty of many vehicles.... BUT as we've said many time on this forum each to their own.:cool:

Cheers
RG

PS... I don't sew badges on my anorak either:eek::eek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Only if it is tasteful and could have been there in the first place.
But this could absolutely have been there? When the RS5 will finally arrive it will most probably have those exact pedals. Just like the A6 didn't have them, the S6 didn't have them, but the RS6 got the whole package. So putting RS6 pedals on a S6 isn't wrong at all. Or putting these pedals on an A5/S5.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry not for me.

RG
I have a strong history of tinkering with any vehicle I've owned. Custom Turbo system on a Dodge Neon. My Dodge Dakota. My 07 GTI that was putting out 265 WHP.

The A5 is the first vehicle that I really don't want to make significant changes too. Audi did a bang-up job out of the door; however there is still some room for improvement.

Factory Air Filter is always made from paper which is very restrictive and over the long-term cost of ownership, expensive. Changing that out for a K&N not only makes financial sense, but performance sense as well. Allowing the engine to breather easier and produce better HP and increasing fuel efficiency.

Wheel Spacers. The Rims on the A5 S-Line have been voted as among the Top 10 wheel designs in the world. Why leave them tucked into the wheel well!? Even Walter de'Silva's original design sketches had the wheels flush with the lines of the body. By properly pushing them to the intended design location, you are returning to the designers intended location while also improving the handling.

Regular incandescent light bulbs vs. LED's for interior lighting. One of the most stunning parts of the A5/S5 design is created with LED's on the front of the car. Audi recognized this in part and attempted to carry that to the interior by placing LED lamps in the foot-well. Why not in the entire interior of the car!? You are finishing what Audi intended to do, plus it provides a "cleaner" and crisper interior light.

These are only three cases which I submit to you for consideration. If chosen carefully the Aftermarket can assist in returning the car to what Audi intended to build, but for whatever bean-counter reasons, changed their path on. Compliment the design, don't trample the design.

Humble thoughts.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like them,nice job :cool:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Why bother??

I have a strong history of tinkering with any vehicle I've owned.

Your shout.

The A5 is the first vehicle that I really don't want to make significant changes too. Audi did a bang-up job out of the door;

Here here

however there is still some room for improvement.

Not sure what?

Factory Air Filter is always made from paper which is very restrictive and over the long-term cost of ownership, expensive. Changing that out for a K&N not only makes financial sense, but performance sense as well. Allowing the engine to breather easier and produce better HP and increasing fuel efficiency.

Evidence?

Wheel Spacers. The Rims on the A5 S-Line have been voted as among the Top 10 wheel designs in the world. Why leave them tucked into the wheel well!? Even Walter de'Silva's original design sketches had the wheels flush with the lines of the body. By properly pushing them to the intended design location, you are returning to the designers intended location while also improving the handling.

If they are Y spokes IMHO they look cool as they are (Thanks)

Regular incandescent light bulbs vs. LED's for interior lighting. One of the most stunning parts of the A5/S5 design is created with LED's on the front of the car. Audi recognized this in part and attempted to carry that to the interior by placing LED lamps in the foot-well. Why not in the entire interior of the car!? You are finishing what Audi intended to do, plus it provides a "cleaner" and crisper interior light.

Evidence please.... who said Audi 'intended to do'???

These are only three cases which I submit to you for consideration. If chosen carefully the Aftermarket can assist in returning the car to what Audi intended to build, but for whatever bean-counter reasons, changed their path on. Compliment the design, don't trample the design.

Agree with the final sentence but do not agree with 'buggering up' pretty decent standard kit...:cool:

Humble thoughts.

See my comments above for discussion??

·
Registered
642 Posts
hey RG, just curious, whats the difference between a sport vs s-line a5

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See my comments above for discussion??
I would suggest that you review Audi's Development of the Nuvolari Concept from birth to production of the A5/S5. I am not going to post the multiple sites I visited, articles read, or research so you can have an easy/quick fix.

Research and understanding before making a purchase of a first run model year of a automobile is rather vital and necessary. Doing that research yourself is more rewarding and you will learn things you never expected too about the car!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
hey RG, just curious, whats the difference between a sport vs s-line a5
Hi

Take a look on Audi.co.uk configurator.

Basically IMHO the S Line in the UK is a cynical attempt to increase sales due to the credit crunch.

S Line = DRL's standard, 18 in Alloys, Black headlining...and a few plastic spoiler bits, nothing of any great note ( I hope!) I would probably have bought one if Audi had told me the SLine was coming!:cool:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I would suggest that you review Audi's Development of the Nuvolari Concept from birth to production of the A5/S5. I am not going to post the multiple sites I visited, articles read, or research so you can have an easy/quick fix.

Research and understanding before making a purchase of a first run model year of a automobile is rather vital and necessary. Doing that research yourself is more rewarding and you will learn things you never expected too about the car!
Yes well... I don't think I'll bother thanks... I like the final version just as it is.. and no thanks I don't need an easy fix!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
PB4UGO

The look good. These have bee on my list too.
How much work was involved... any drilling, other mods needed?
Also, I did not see these on ECS's website. How did you specify them to order them?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PB4UGO

The look good. These have bee on my list too.
How much work was involved... any drilling, other mods needed?
Also, I did not see these on ECS's website. How did you specify them to order them?
No drilling. Just needed to remove the packing on the Dead Pedal and secure it to the existing rubber pedal. Nothing too complicated.

They are not listed on their website. Send them an e-mail. I think its [email protected] but am not sure. Took about 3-4 days for them to arrive from the time I ordered them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Done a little different

To create flush, oem look to install I would suggest to do the following for the dead pedal.

Remove factory dead pedal by doing the following.

1) Detach clip on top of pedal from plastic shrould under the dash (by light and diagnostic plug in) - Push in pedal and pull away from clip

2) Slide finger under panel on left side of dead pedal by starting directly under where you would open hood and pull panel up on dead pedal and then reslide over so it sits outside the grove. It will be positioned to the far left, do not let it fall back into groove.

3) now you can pull dead pedal off. There are 4 plastic clips on the back side of the oem s5 dead pedal. It needs to be pulled straight back so you do not break the clips. You could use a large straight head screw driver for leverage.
It does not come off easy.

1/2 way there

Now remove the stainless and rubber insert from RS4 pedal and transfer over to S5 plastic dead pedal. You will need to use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull tabs up and slide stainless off.

Now you can lay it over the factory s5 dead pedal and use pencil to draw a line along the left bottom to indicate where the plastic needs to be cut to sit flush with the RS4 piece. You will also need to mark a line on the top of the pedal for the top left tab. Once you have everything marked you can cut.

I used a pair of wire cutters to cut the small piece and followed my pencil lines then used a file to create perfect oem coutour and was able to get it to look perfect.

You will need to cut a small incision on the top left of the dead pedal for the top left tab to go through. This way you will not need to use any glue and will give piece a oem fit and finish. I used a capenter knife to cut a small incision and then the head of a small straight screw driver to create a hole big enough for the tab.

Now take your time make everything look perfect as you will need to fit and refit until everything is flush.

Rebend all tabs over OEM S5 plastic dead pedal and reinstall.

I am not the best at writing instuctions, but this may help those who are a little leary of getting this great mod done.

I will post pics later today or tomorrow.

I ordered all mine through alexander at europrice http://www.euro-audi-parts.com/

·
Registered
373 Posts
Rab88
RG, I think if you want to post up subjects such as "why bother?", then dont bother browsing the performance and mods forums. Simple.
Mmm,just what i was thinking :confused:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts