Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have recently purchased a 2017 Audi S5 sportback.

Has anyone installed the RS style front grill on their car? I have had a look online and there seem to be a few options with the Audi badge but some of them require you to cut into the crash structure behind the bumper. Obviously this is something I don't want to do and was wondering if anyone has found one that fits well without having to do any modifications.

I did do a search on here but I couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
903 Posts
Hi, if you don’t remove the crash bar, then you’ll have an ugly looking grey polystyrene directly behind large honeycomb grille...

I mean each to their own, but it’s going to be an eyesore behind.

I removed mine and proceeded to paint the crash bar and anything else behind with black enamel so it’s long lasting and matches the colour well to “hide” bare metal behind the large honeycomb grill structure.

replacing the B9 grill is straight forward if you have done it before for B8 model.

Hope This helps!

~Alex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, if you don’t remove the crash bar, then you’ll have an ugly looking grey polystyrene directly behind large honeycomb grille...

I mean each to their own, but it’s going to be an eyesore behind.

I removed mine and proceeded to paint the crash bar and anything else behind with black enamel so it’s long lasting and matches the colour well to “hide” bare metal behind the large honeycomb grill structure.

replacing the B9 grill is straight forward if you have done it before for B8 model.

Hope This helps!

~Alex View attachment 180117
Thanks Alex,

I knew that the crash bar needed to be painted for the reasons you mentioned but did you need to cut anything to make the grill fit?
Can I ask where you purchased your grill from?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks Alex,

I knew that the crash bar needed to be painted for the reasons you mentioned but did you need to cut anything to make the grill fit?
Can I ask where you purchased your grill from?
eBay job, paid £160 at the time. I believe it’s far cheaper now on Aliexpress or eBay still.

And no cutting, just straight swap and actually good quality fit you know 👍🏻👍🏻✌🏻
~Alex

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eBay job, paid £160 at the time. I believe it’s far cheaper now on Aliexpress or eBay still.

And no cutting, just straight swap and actually good quality fit you know 👍🏻👍🏻✌🏻
~Alex
Yours looks pretty smart. I did order one from ebay but the quality was shocking and wasn't worth the price I paid for it, so I ended up returning it.
I'm now in two minds whether or not to de-chrome the car. So now I just need to decide if I go for the satin finish or all black.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yours looks pretty smart. I did order one from ebay but the quality was shocking and wasn't worth the price I paid for it, so I ended up returning it.
I'm now in two minds whether or not to de-chrome the car. So now I just need to decide if I go for the satin finish or all black.
The one I received was honestly well made.

It didn’t come from overseas though, it was a UK seller. The packaging itself was also very good, enough to protect everything.

I received the Audi Black rings but decided to keep chrome so took the original rings off my original grill.

Maybe in the future I might go all Black 👍🏻
I do like that style and look tbh!

let us know with pics what you do! 👍🏻
~Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts