Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kept it under wraps unit completed ....

APS have had my car for the last 2 weeks to perfect the fitting of the RS brake kit (see pic) :D

As far as we know this is the first converstion to have been done and from the discussions I've held with APS they've had a real job on their hands including having special components made (I'm sure Ed will elaborate on this in time), hats off lads!

The car is being collected on Saturday. I know Ess5ive, possible IanHP1 and some of the TDi owners will already be there. Also expecting Neil Brikitt from Autometrix (Audi Driver mag) at some point in the day. Any other UK'ers interested you're welcome to come and have a butchers.

Full report will follow after Saturday. God the wait :(

P.S. Please don't ask for price as Ed has yet to work this out but I'm sure he'll post it up in the near future ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper and better (both look + performance) off we went with cross-ventilated Brembo GT kits or equivalent (when all parts considered are new)? Custom fabrication is always costly.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't it be cheaper and better (both look + performance) off we went with cross-ventilated Brembo GT kits or equivalent (when all parts considered are new)? Custom fabrication is always costly.
Custom components were things like hoses and washers. The one thing I can say is that I am sure they are cheaper than the Brembo's.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Custom components were things like hoses and washers. The one thing I can say is that I am sure they are cheaper than the Brembo's.
Oh those are miniscule, the way you described it I was thinking of things like custom fabricated brackets etc. Happy modding!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bugger! I want those :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks very much to Matt for the kind loan of his S5 to us to develop this kit.

To a degree this was a known quantity as we are already fitting it to the early B5 RS4/S4 and also to the later VW/Audi range with 5x112 stud pattern such as the new S3 and Golf R32 and MKII TT, all we needed to do was manufacture a fitting kit on our lathe which was all straight forward enough and have some hoses made to suit.

To give a bit of background on the kit, and the reasons for the selection of this over a Brembo GT kit is firstly the look of OEM+. We often get asked to fit a large brake upgrade like this but that the customer would like it to be subtle and to appear as if Audi had actually fitted this kit in the first place, this criteria is obviously met here as this complete kit is from Audi. The callipers are manufactured by Brembo so therefore of the highest quality and with eight pistons per calliper have an extremely powerful clamp over a large surface area. One of the other reasons is that if for example you are driving abroad or quite a distance from home and you find yourself in a situation where you require new pads or new discs most Audi dealers now keep these off the shelf. Having run this setup on my old B5 RS4 I can state the obvious that it is a huge improvement in braking power and the pedal feel is excellent, the S5 being no exception. So that details a few reasons there for the selection of this kit.

In terms of the kit itself it is made up of:-

- Brembo 8 piston callipers
- 365mm drilled two piece disc
- APS fitting kit
- Stock pads or Pagid Blue pads available for track use
- Goodridge braided hose lines
- ATE high performance brake fluid

- Cost to supply and fit: £1799 INC VAT, this includes parts and labour.

The callipers as the picture shows above come with the Audi RS logo but if you would like something a little different we can offer the calliper from the Audi R8 instead if you would like it to say ‘R8’ although this comes at a £200 premium from Audi.

Also arriving nest week we will have the long awaited braided Goodridge brake line kits for the S5’s too, prices to follow soon.

I’ll pop a few more pictures up a bit later showing the comparison between the stock S5 calliper and the RS calliper and discs setup.

These kits are available from stock now and take about five hours drive in drive out to fit.

Kind regards,

Ed

P.S. A picture of the disc and calliper off the car:-

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
That's a bargain! I paid £4000 for my supra brakes.

... Same brakes as the ferarri F50 right enough :p

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
That's a bargain! I paid £4000 for my supra brakes.

... Same brakes as the ferarri F50 right enough :p
Damn that is a very good price. Nice one Ed.

Just out of interest what would replacement discs and pads cost when the time came?

Also its bit of a mission to come down to APS from Scotland for this kit, what is the cost of the whole kit supplied only?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Damn that is a very good price. Nice one Ed.

Just out of interest what would replacement discs and pads cost when the time came?

Also its bit of a mission to come down to APS from Scotland for this kit, what is the cost of the whole kit supplied only?

Hi Saj,

Discs are approximately £285-£290+VAT each and pads are £210-£220 +VAT a set. Plus fitting. The prices will vary between dealers I’m sure.

Supply only you would be looking at £1678.60 INC VAT and shipping. This is less the fluid though as we cannot post this.

Kind regards,

Ed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice, thanks APS, that will be going on my Christmas list. You say the upgraged discs are 365mm...what diameter are the standard ones?? Also how many pistons have the standard ones?

·
Registered
112 Posts
As if the hole burning in my wallet wasn't big enough....

Looks like these'll go on when the remap's ready. Oh, but I forgot, I'm not getting the remap, am I... (Usual upgrade vs. losing warranty issues) Damn this forum - it's a complete tease I tell you! ;o)

T

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Thanks Ed...

Great detail and info... OUTSTANDING PRICE!!!

This kit really is a no-brainer. It looks great and at that cost including fitting it's less than just buying the AP kit alone!

...I'm saving my pennies as we speak!

Ian.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks guys, I’m glad this has been well received and sorry if I’m threatening your wallets some more!

So the stock discs are 345mm and the callipers just use one large piston.

Kind regards,

Ed

·
Registered
457 Posts
In terms of the kit itself it is made up of:-

- Brembo 8 piston callipers
- 365mm drilled two piece disc
- APS fitting kit
- Stock pads or Pagid Blue pads available for track use
- Goodridge braided hose lines
- ATE high performance brake fluid

- Cost to supply and fit: £1799 INC VAT, this includes parts and labour.
Good deal, maybe us americano folks will be able to find something stateside as well. Do you know how much unsprung weight is saved vs the stock setup, and what about a rear kit?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts