Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this in the general forumn but hoping some local Canadians here can help as well....

----------
Hi guys, I've tried searching around but can't seem to find any posts on this issue.... wondering if this is normal or if I should get it checked out as my car is still under Warranty.

In the mornings, I start up my car in the Garage and the Car idles fine at 1100 RPM for a few mins. If I put the car in D or R during this high idle then I hear a loud Roaring/vacuum type of sound. If I put the car back in P or N the noise goes away. Or once I start driving away after about 5 seconds the noise goes away... Also, If I let the car "warm up" and the RPMs drop to about 900 and I put it into D or R then there's no noise. The noise does not return at any other time, only if its been sitting for a long time/cold start.

I got the car back in MArch and dont remember this happening back then, but I had my ECU updated last month and its been there ever since... wondering if the car is doing this now due to that software update or I just never noticed it before... Just hoping its nothing to due with Transmission issues.

I have a 2011 A5 2.0T 8-speed Auto (triptronic)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The RS models do this in all temperatures, and i suspect your model does it due to the cold weather.

the pistons need to warm up and expand which is why the car is reving at 1100rpm for about 20-30 seconds. You are best off not reving the car in that period.

I dont believe you should be worried about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Molle.... Yes, I spoke to the Service Manager at my Audi Dealership and he said this is normal and it's the Secondary Air Pump or something that is working during cold starts in trying to warm up the engine... then if/when I put the car in gear during this time the noise gets louder since the engine is under load. He said its normal and nothing wrong with my transmission or I would be hearing noises all the time or while driving.

Was just wondering if other's have noticed this too or if I'm just too picky :)

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I always try and sit in the car and wait for the revs to drop before I set off in the morning. OK when I'm not running late as I can get comfy and choose the music, but more difficult to practice when I am!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts