Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am replacing the rims on my 2009 A5 3.2 (apparently the rims that I got with my car are replicas and one has a warp). I found a set that are in budget and look decent enough for the winter. They are 18" and the seller says they are OEM from an A5. However, from looking at every googled photo I can find the center cap (round/button style on the left) is different than what I am seeing on known legit OEM rim (cap covers the studs as in the right photo) and they are missing the "groove" to accommodate that cap from the left photo. Maybe what I am looking at is an early model? I don't want to end up with another set of crappy replicas 馃槧. Any help would be appreciated!

Registered
They don't look to be the same wheel at all to me, the spoke design is "similar" but the flaring and contouring of the spokes are obviously different. I'd be surprised to find it an OE wheel, but a photo of the rear markings should be definitive.

That being said, I wouldn't be hell bent on an OE wheel. OE's are in it to produce cars, not wheels, and usually it's the larger wheel companies that supply OE's with wheels anyways. I'm sure you can get a quality wheel without paying through the nose if you should be so inclined.

Regards

Reactions: SimonRoma

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't look to be the same wheel at all to me, the spoke design is "similar" but the flaring and contouring of the spokes are obviously different. I'd be surprised to find it an OE wheel, but a photo of the rear markings should be definitive.

That being said, I wouldn't be hell bent on an OE wheel. OE's are in it to produce cars, not wheels, and usually it's the larger wheel companies that supply OE's with wheels anyways. I'm sure you can get a quality wheel without paying through the nose if you should be so inclined.

Regards
Thanks Mr.wreckless! I guess I got too caught up focusing on the center cap to notice the other obvious differences in the rim. I totally agree with what you said about oe vs aftermarket (as long as they are not poorly made). I ended up finding another set/style wheel today. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!

Premium Member
Whats the bike Andy???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts