Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
you will have to look carefully. can anyone tell me how this is fixed? note, wheels are perfect match on each side and camber is close match from side to side. the reason this concerns me is i want to either rebarel my current wheels in the rear wider and more flush or get new wheels (20x11 w/ 305s) . the differance from left to right is right wheel is about 1/4 to 3/8 in more from the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Have you seen my PMs? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It's more likely to be differences in the rear wings. My suggestion tould be to have the dealership look at it and potentially get them to 'tug' at the wing to pull it out 1/4"... ??

·
Registered
432 Posts
So, I decided to make my PM to John public to see if anyone has anything to add. I know its a longshot, but it might help his situation.

Since these cars have been out a while now, most of the wheel manufacturers have figured out that you need to run a staggered offset to get the best look out of your wheels when you are running the same size at all four corners. The difference in offset is very small (~10mm) and is very difficult to notice unless you are looking for it. I think it is possible that your wheels are done this way and for whatever reason, the driver's side has the ones meant for the rear and the passenger side has the ones meant for the front. Does this sound like a possibility?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this has been an issue for a while and yes i have been on a level surface and the symptom is still the same. i would be shocked if my wheels had that much play just by a small incline. any how i am still trying to make it to the shop today to see what i can do. i guess does anyone else have this issue please reply. more "no"s i get the better chance i have getting this fixed for free. my plan is to show the shop foreman at my audi dealer

·
Registered
58 Posts
and yes i have been on a level surface and the symptom is still the same. i would be shocked if my wheels had that much play just by a small incline.
Just look at the offset between the wheel and sideskirt, it looks like there's no difference between the left and right wheel. The only difference is that the one wheel is pushed more inwards (if you look at the wheel arches), most likely, because of that incline. On another forum, I was asked to measure the distance between the wheel arches and wheels (long story), and by doing so, I noticed that my left wheel was pushed inwards more than the right. I was puzzled for a sec, but the small incline of my driveway was enough. Looking at your pictures... I think it's probably just that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alinement has been done and again the camber is in spec. the driveway was just a photo that shows an example. if i am on a flat shop garage surface it is the same outcome. i thought it was the body to the frame being a little off. does it look like i can go another .5 inch out on the left . i wanna try 20x11 in rear like TX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i guess it is true if you want it done right you do it your self.

i use autoscope in dallas to service my audi and we believe this issue is a subframe problem in the rear. once we do some shifting (which throws all the wheels out of alinement temporarily) this should fix my problem. then we aline after that. wish me luck

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Good luck! :p I've heard Autoscope do good work... a bit pricey, but good work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wheelbase measurements

I would check that the wheel base on either side is exactly the same.

Its possible to screw up the 4 wheel alignment, but still have all 4 wheels in line - you can that usually detect this problem via an alignment called the thrust angle.

This is easy to detect on 2 wheel drive cars - you pick a flat surface and accelerate hard without holding the steering wheel and the car should go in a straight line if the thrust angle alignment is correct.

Not easy to on a a 4 wheel drive, but if the alignment is out you eventually see it from tyre wear. My advice is to get it checked by the dealer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get it fixed?

Did you ever get this fixed? I just got my car back from the body shop and I noticed the same thing on my car. Everything lines in terms of the body but the rear driver side tire stickS out further than the passenger tire. Your description is exactly what mine sounds like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts