Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I losing my mind or has this gone up in price massively?

I know this is the US price but the awesome price is now over £1000. Could have sworn it was £800 or so last month.

Now that design has been done, since it’s a cnc part why is it so much money?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Because the tuners think they can charge over inflated prices!!

Like your Forge charge cooling system at £1000, it should cost no more than £400 with the parts involved, even the heat exchange rad being specifically made for the S4/S5! MercRacing prove this by selling the same kit (effectively) at around £400!

But if people buy them, then they will keep charging those sorts of prices!

Out of curiosity why would you want to buy an alloy version of what's already on the car? Unless you are competing in a motorsport event that requires grams shaved off the car's weight? :) It's not as if you can even see either in all it's shiny aluminium glory! :)

If the tuners sold at more reasonable prices, they would sell more!! In my opinion at least twice the amount of sales if they reduced the price!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s actually heavier than the stock part. The point is it’s billet ally and a lot more rigid as it’s one piece rather than multilayered pressed steel.

It tightens up the front end which affects steering feel which you can sense whilst driving.

Re forge Intercoolers, there’s a lot more in the kit than just the merc racing core but that should make it more like £600. I think retail is closer to £850 than £1000. Also the merc racing core is quad pass which I am not a fan of.

My issue with the brace is that the LHD one is $400, so why is the RHD one double the price given that the r and d has been done on both, the cost to develop is the same.

Then to make matters worse, international shipping, import duty and vat make it so much more than the LHD version. Seems unfair.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It’s actually heavier than the stock part. The point is it’s billet ally and a lot more rigid as it’s one piece rather than multilayered pressed steel.

It tightens up the front end which affects steering feel which you can sense whilst driving.

Re forge Intercoolers, there’s a lot more in the kit than just the merc racing core but that should make it more like £600. I think retail is closer to £850 than £1000. Also the merc racing core is quad pass which I am not a fan of.

My issue with the brace is that the LHD one is $400, so why is the RHD one double the price given that the r and d has been done on both, the cost to develop is the same.

Then to make matters worse, international shipping, import duty and vat make it so much more than the LHD version. Seems unfair.
Yep, the LHD will be cheaper purely because it sells more in the US, for obvious reasons. But you're correct, it should be the same price! It's mainly the dome bit with a hole in it that is on the other side as this where the universal joint on the steering shaft is located.

But it really is the tuners trying to push a 'brand value' rather than the actual costs. I got a universal large intercooler for my 3.0tdi, it was £85! Get a branded one and that cost goes up, a lot! I totally understand branding, but I wouldn't pay that sort of money for a radiator and some pipes and clips. :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Have you tried or have a strut/tower brace to tighten the front end up/ Most of the flex is the strut towers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I’m looking at the CR-15 but am happy to home make it.

I’d rather brace the top and the bottom.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crazy price drop at Awesome £363 shipped in the UK

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
£363 pounds to save a few pounds in weight, does seem like a waste of money! :)
It's slightly heavier than the stock part. But it's not intended as a weight saving mod.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got mine yesterday.

Now I just need a car to put it on 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's slightly heavier than the stock part. But it's not intended as a weight saving mod.
Sooo, what's the point of it then? :) Just asking why you would want to replace a steel part with an aluminium version. If it was visible and all shiny and nice, then cosmetically, I could see some reason. :)

Is it stiffer?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sooo, what's the point of it then? :) Just asking why you would want to replace a steel part with an aluminium version. If it was visible and all shiny and nice, then cosmetically, I could see some reason. :)

Is it stiffer?
I think the 034 page explains it quite well...

This robust billet aluminum brace replaces the original lower subframe brace to increase torsional rigidity, resulting in improved handling characteristics and enhanced steering precision. The 034Motorsport X-Brace was engineered and tested to outperform the factory’s welded, stamped steel part and ensure your vehicle's suspension geometry is not compromised by chassis flex under hard cornering.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sorry just read the info! :) It adds torsional rigidity!

But question is how much? I remember adding a similar brace to a BMW coupe that was only fitted to convertible models for the torsional rigidity reason. But I don't recall any improvement in handling. Could it be a case of only effective on the track when more at the limits?

So have you not got an S5 yet? :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry just read the info! :) It adds torsional rigidity!

But question is how much? I remember adding a similar brace to a BMW coupe that was only fitted to convertible models for the torsional rigidity reason. But I don't recall any improvement in handling. Could it be a case of only effective on the track when more at the limits?

So have you not got an S5 yet? :)

Not yet, the hunt continues 🤞

My plan is to do a few Nürburgring trips and maybe UK based track days during my ownership.

I'll give my opinion on the mod when I can, but I've read so many glowing reviews on multiple forums about the chassis brace mod. Be it DIY strengthen stock, Ali Kreuz or 034 X-Brace.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My brother has done quite a few ring trips. I'd like to, too. But watched too many Nurburgring crashes on You Tube! :D Seems it's an ice rink a soon as it's slightly damp! :)

DIY strengthening!? That's got my attention! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brother has done quite a few ring trips. I'd like to, too. But watched too many Nurburgring crashes on You Tube! :D Seems it's an ice rink a soon as it's slightly damp! :)

DIY strengthening!? That's got my attention! ;)
👉DIY mod example

I've been to the ring 4 times but it's been 13 years since my last trip. Really looking forward to going back.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
👉DIY mod example

I've been to the ring 4 times but it's been 13 years since my last trip. Really looking forward to going back.
Thanks! I know 'DessertStorm has a 3.0tdi and not sure of the differences, if there are between the A5 and S5 braces. I did read that the S and especially the RS are different.

I can see how adding some extra square tubing both sides front to back could improve rigidity.

Now looking at the opinions of the top strut tower brace as some say the is a big difference! And it's a cheap upgrade! :)

Just when you're thinking of, I don't need anymore mods!!

Looking at the threads on the lower brace and top brace, I think adding the top and modding the std lower brace should give some positive results!?

Need to finish my custom exhaust project first!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll be bracing the front top too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts