Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although the European headlights (and the factory lights as well) provide excellent lighting, I was looking for a little more as I'm always concerned at night about overdriving my lights (especially since I don't have the adaptive Xenons). I installed the Hoen H11s when I got the car but that was done more from a color-matching perspective than actual light output.

I researched on-line doing a HID/Xenon conversion for the fogs and tried a couple of kits but always ended-up with a bulb-out warning. I then found the kit provided by SharpHID which included an option for "Computer Bulb Out Warning Cancellers". Total price for the H11 35W kit and the cancellers was $130.

Installation was relatively straightforward (truly "plug-n-play"):

1. Remove front wheels
2. Remove most of the screws holding the fender liner and peel it back
3. Unplug factory harness from the fog lights and replace the standard H11 bulbs with the HID/Xenon bulbs
4. Find a good location for the ballasts (I chose the inner radiator support) and drill holes. Mount ballasts.
5. Connect the ballasts and cancellers to the factory harness:

6. Reinstall the fender liner and wheels

(Total time for a novice should be about 1.5 hours / definitely under an hour if you know what you're doing)

I've been running the kit now for a month now and finally got around to taking some pics at night (I do not have before and after pics; sorry):

HID/Xenon Fogs Only:

Headlights and HID/Xenon Fogs:

Side-by-Side Comparison (Fogs Only v. Headlights & Fogs):

Overall, a worthwhile mod IMHO!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great news, been thinking about doing this myself. Any concerns about HID heat output on the foglamp housing?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great news, been thinking about doing this myself. Any concerns about HID heat output on the foglamp housing?
Yes but I've run the fogs for nearly four hours straight on one trip and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Great. What temp are those in your pics? 4300K?

$130 is a great price.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Can you post the light pattern of the fogs-only (even better if you can disable the DRL's for the pic) against a wall?

I always thought about doing this, but my biggest concern is not having a sufficient cut-off line. My old Supra has a D2S retrofit, but using a custom made shield and housing to ensure that I'm not blinding anyone. My experience is that without this, not only are you possibly blinding oncoming traffic, you're also not getting all of your light output focused to the ground where you want it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what a cool mod. this, plus the vag-com mod to have the rear tails act as DRLs would be a neat alternative to nighttime lights. the drls plus fogs only looks really aggressive.

the only downside would be the interior gauges would be off...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you post the light pattern of the fogs-only (even better if you can disable the DRL's for the pic) against a wall?
Will see what I can do!

I always thought about doing this, but my biggest concern is not having a sufficient cut-off line. My old Supra has a D2S retrofit, but using a custom made shield and housing to ensure that I'm not blinding anyone. My experience is that without this, not only are you possibly blinding oncoming traffic, you're also not getting all of your light output focused to the ground where you want it.
I've seen other cars where the fog light cut-off is razor sharp - the S5 is not one of them (unfortunately). I've been very careful about aiming the fogs though...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is that light on always?? (circled in attached image)

I have US spec A5 and it looks like the housing is there but instead of a bulb there is a rubber plug....how can i replace that?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've seen other cars where the fog light cut-off is razor sharp - the S5 is not one of them (unfortunately). I've been very careful about aiming the fogs though...
Worst case scenario -- if you've upgraded to Euro headlamps, it means you have an extra set of headlamps lying around, which means you have an extra set of projectors you can extract. If you don't mind being past the point of no return, you can hack up your OE fog housings and jam the low beam HID projectors into it, and then just source another pair of Philips D2S burners. You'd have identical light output on low beams and fogs with identical cutoff lines (albeit at different height levels).

Optionally you could also get them out of another car. Retrofitters like using the Valeo projectors out of the E46 Bimmer or the Acura TSX because they are very small.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that light on always?? (circled in attached image)

I have US spec A5 and it looks like the housing is there but instead of a bulb there is a rubber plug....how can i replace that?
That is the parking light in the European headlights and yes, it is on when the fogs and/or headlights are turned on. The European headlights originally came with a standard halogen bulb which looked like $hit surrounded by the LEDs and Xenon lights (IMHO) so I swapped it out with a LED version to better match.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well you sure got that right because it looks awesome.

would you happen to know what kind of bulb it is? and if replacing it is difficult?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went on the website but dont know which to order.... did you get the "slim line" one and which one performance or race version? Also I could not find the "Computer Bulb Out Warning Cancellers" anywhere ...

·
Registered
384 Posts
That is the parking light in the European headlights and yes, it is on when the fogs and/or headlights are turned on. The European headlights originally came with a standard halogen bulb which looked like $hit surrounded by the LEDs and Xenon lights (IMHO) so I swapped it out with a LED version to better match.
Euro codes have a halogen bulb for city lights? What bulb did you use to replace this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Euro codes have a halogen bulb for city lights? What bulb did you use to replace this?
you plug the corner bulbs in there which the euro codes do not have...

·
Registered
384 Posts
The corner bulbs from the US spec healights?

Are these LEDs?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The corner bulbs from the US spec healights?

Are these LEDs?
no...just a normal bulb but in the US its in the corner instead of the middle so you just have to re-locate the bulb...

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's why I asked what LED bulb he replaced it with...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went on the website but dont know which to order.... did you get the "slim line" one and which one performance or race version? Also I could not find the "Computer Bulb Out Warning Cancellers" anywhere ...
Do the following:

1. Order the DDM Ultra Slim Series 35W HID Kit / H11 / 4300K or 5000K ($100)
2. On this same page, click on "To order a wiring harness with this kit click here."
3. Order a pair of the "Computer Bulb Out Warning Cancellers (Pair) - Plug and Play" ($30)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Worst case scenario -- if you've upgraded to Euro headlamps, it means you have an extra set of headlamps lying around, which means you have an extra set of projectors you can extract. If you don't mind being past the point of no return, you can hack up your OE fog housings and jam the low beam HID projectors into it, and then just source another pair of Philips D2S burners. You'd have identical light output on low beams and fogs with identical cutoff lines (albeit at different height levels).

Optionally you could also get them out of another car. Retrofitters like using the Valeo projectors out of the E46 Bimmer or the Acura TSX because they are very small.
Excellent suggestions! Not to go too OT but how did you create your custom shield and housing on the Supra? I definitely don't want to trash my factory headlights and would prefer not to carve-up the factory housings with a projector replacement (I'm not that creative or brave).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts