Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, a friend of mine had APS install their performance maps in his S5 today and I had a chance to try it out... :cool:

Firstly, +20BHP and +15NM torque are the estimated gains, however I have to report this is only part of the story...

There is no doubt that the car has a little more 'grunt' in flat out accelleration and third gear is awesome! But there are other factors concerned with the power deliver that impreses me most with the remapped vehicle and makes it both more fun and more rapid:

1) The extra power is delivered right across the rev range, making gears like third and fourth seem practically endless. :cool:

2) Pick-up... the engine was never slow to pick up, but it is definately more 'lively' than stock, pulling harder after the gear change and responding more closely to throttle inputs, making the car feel more 'controllable'

3) The engine has regained the 'tractability' low down in the rev range that was lost with the fitting of the free flowing Milltek

Finally, and perhaps the best is that the feel and sound of the engine seems more 'tuned'. In that you really feel like you are driving a performance car and not justr a powerful one. I wasn't expecting the change in the exhaust sound, but it's great, slightly more 'edgy' than pre-remap with a bit more 'burble'. :cool: An added bonus is that lower down the revs it 'booms' slightly less too. All in all this is an excellent compliment to the Milltek exhaust.

The extra power won't blow your socks off, but the overall effect on the drivability and feel of the engine, coupled with the increased power make this modification 'the icing on the cake!'.

Much impressed.

I must say too, that APS were as excellent and accomodating as always.

My friend is very happy. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
great review ian, thanks! it definitely sounds like your uh, "friend" is very excited... ;) so how much did that remap set you - i mean, "your friend" back? :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great review ian, thanks! it definitely sounds like your uh, "friend" is very excited... ;) so how much did that remap set you - i mean, "your friend" back? :D
'
APS is currently charging £500 for the remap, so I assume that's what they charged my friend. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Are there any warranty issues if you get this done????

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would like to see a dyno comparison......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are there any warranty issues if you get this done????
Up to your dealer, really. I had a 911 with a piggy back chip on it. I brought the car in for a warranty repair for a leaking oil valve and they wouldn't repair it under warranty due to the piggy back chip. It cost me $2K out of pocket even though they could not show any reason why a chip could cause an oil valve to fail. I took it all the way to the zone rep and PCNA without success.

Now granted, a ECU flash will be harder to detect than a piggy back chip but it is detectable. So, if you really take your chances with this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks Ian, sounds very interesting. I like Sizzle's comment, I am sure APS already has (or will) have a dyno comparison. This is very nice info regardless, I was wondering about the progress of any tuner tweaking the computer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My philosophy on all hp performance-related mods:
No dyno, no go.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, a Dyno would be great, but just wasn't possible on the day as the dyno is at a different site... However, with all these things, what the dyno cannot show you...

How the throttle responds to input (the maps make this a lot more controllable and responsive)

How the 28 different maps which are used by the engine for all the different conditions respond when the car is actually driven. (only one map will be used in the dyno test)

Improved responsiveness

Improved engine sound

... with a N/A car, where the power gains may be meagre, this is where the speed, sportiness and driveability comes.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My philosophy on all hp performance-related mods:
No dyno, no go.
I disagree slightly, vagcom data logging on the open road has its place, no ambient temp issues or roller slip to contend with, you can get very VERY different results on the same dyno on the same day....

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts