Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an ACNA event two weeks ago at club Motorsport in NH with my 4.2 S5 six speed manual transmission. The instructor I had was good and I had a blast on track. One concern I had during the event was rev matching and Heel/Toe.

On normal day to day driving I usually blip the throttle and shift then brake method but on the track it really upsets the dynamics of the vehicle in braking zones. My track event this weekend at NJMP I am trying to focus on the heel/toe technique but the gas and brake seem a little too far away from each other to be able to do consistently. When I do get it, my foot just barely rubs the pedal but I do get the RPM bump I need. Other times its not enough and I end up only bumping 200-300 RPM.

Basically, I want to know if anyone has any suggestions for more track friendly pedals or if anyone has any experience with the Rennsport Heel/Toe Throttle Extension (linked below).
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rennline-parts/rennline-throttle-extension-heel-toe-audi/pe75hblack~rel/

If you do have the extension linked above, Does it work on a stock pedal or do I need the full Rennsport pedal set?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This post is over a year old, but no responses yet so I thought I'd throw in my two cents:

I too had issues with heel-and-toe downshifting in my S5. It's a technique that I have used quite well in other cars, including an E36 BMW and Porsche Cayman. But the pedal placement in the Audi is just too far apart to be comfortable. However, an instructor at a DE event I was doing with Chicagoland Audi Club suggested a slight change in technique that really worked wonders. If you're like most drivers when you drive your right foot is probably positioned so that your heel is directly under the brake pedal (this comes as a surprise to most people, who would swear that their heel is midway between brake and throttle pedals, when it's actually under the brake pedal - take a look at the wear pattern in the carpet to see what I mean). With the Audi the trick is to position your right heel as far to the right as possible - right up against the center tunnel if possible. It will feel awkward at first, but you'll find that you can now do heel-and-toe with no problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts