Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When idling my s5 will not rev above 4000rpm and sounds as if it is misfiring.I contacted the dealer and they said this is normal as the car has a rev limiter when stationary.The car drives ok but I am curious to know if any other s5 owners have tried this and what the result was.Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know why it has a Rev limiter? Is it to protect the engine from over revving?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Does anyone know why it has a Rev limiter? Is it to protect the engine from over revving?
There's not much space under the boonet, so my guess is that you wouldn't have to rev it above 4,000 for long before it overheats (when not in motion).

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Audi are once again thinking ahead, into the future... into the days when the S5 has depreciated greatly, and the juvenile delinquents have managed to save up all their pocket money to buy that (now old) S5. The days of sitting in the McDonald's car park, with their loud banging music, and engines revving loudly are over (thank's to the rev limiter). :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
With VAG-COM, you can remove the rev limiter, and delimit the radio volume to double the level of standard... sorry Rab. :cool: Forever young!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Also to lessen the torque load on a standstill launch. Or perhaps this is the best launch rpm for the car. It would make staging for a drag race easier to just keep the loud pedal pegged and dump the clutch.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
'
Yes... overreving... especially as with no load on the engine as due to fuel in the system it would be possible to exceed the normal rev limiter by quite a lot.

Also... hot starts. with no limiter, people would be tempted to 'peg it and drop the clutch' unfortunately, the clutch simply wouldn't cope with this and would firstly: not grip and secondly: fry. If it did grip, the inertia in the engine vs the inertia in the car would damage the transmission because it's awd... and hence high levels of grip.... To design the car with a stronger clutch and the necessary transmission to cope with this would add a lot of weight to the car, making it slower and affecting the handling.

The perfect fast-start in this car involves feathering the clutch at 3,000rpm until full-bite, and then hitting second before you get to the limiter (7,000)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dont seem to have a rev limiter!!

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum - i have a red S5, Black leather - NAV, TECH, B&O with about 2k miles on it now

I read the post about the rev limiter on 4k and tried it - mine does not have it???????

·
Registered
33 Posts
on my us-spec car the 4k rev limiter is enabled as long as esp/asr are on. when both are off, i can rev to redline while stationary.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Australian delivered cars also do not have the rev limiter. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
135 Posts
What is the rev limiter set at on the S5? I took mine slowly up to 7,000 RPM and never hit a rev limiter. I would've thought that the rev limiter would be set at redline (7,000 RPM).
Just to clarify, I'm asking about the rev limiter while driving. My S5 has the 4,000 RPM limiter while stationary. I haven't tried disabling ASR to see if it disables the limiter, though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
+1. I've also got a rev limiter at around 4000 rpm (2009 model). You guys that don't have a rev limiter, what year model have you got?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2009 and have noticed that after driving for a while, once the car has heated up, I am able to get past the 4000 rpm rev limit while stationary. When I first start the car up, I am never able to rev past 4000, only after about 30 minutes of driving am I able to break the 4000 limit. WEIIIIRDDDD

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
With VAG-COM, you can remove the rev limiter, and delimit the radio volume to double the level of standard... sorry Rab. :cool: Forever young!
Good joke man :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to clarify, I'm asking about the rev limiter while driving. My S5 has the 4,000 RPM limiter while stationary. I haven't tried disabling ASR to see if it disables the limiter, though.
OK, if you just disable ASR, the 4,000 RPM limiter remains.
If you disable ASR & ESP, the 4,000 RPM limiter is removed.

What about the regular rev limiter while driving? Did anyone check theirs?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.