Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
returned my a5 today, Ive had it just over a week and its been at audi for 4 days now, i have a friend who works at another audi dealership as a mechanic. He found out for me what was going on. This is no joke, he stated there was over 8 major parts replaced, the windshield, which had a leak at the bottom, my ecu had to be updated but the ecu crashed so they had to install another one, the advanced key thing wont work had to replace that, the main beam headlight wont come on even though the dash is lit, both door sensors are not working, so the interior light does not go off, and the rear led light is malfunctioning. the best part of all this is that the dealership didnt want to give me back all my money. After speaking with the manager, they refunded me almost all my money back, minus the 129 miles i drove. My mechanic friend at audi stated they have had several a5 come in for mechanical problems and have had 2 returned. I will never buy AUDI again, they are terribly made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ive experienced a good amount of problems also and took it up with audi north america and they really took care of me but i think im also moving on to another brand

·
Registered
457 Posts
My friend bought an 06 BMW M5 and experienced even more horrific things than you:
1. Defective transmission (had to be replaced)
2. Defective iDrive, constantly freezing (had to be replaced)
3. Traction control lights constantly going off (chip replaced)
4. Engine over-heated 3 times and check oil light constantly going off (radiator, maf, oil sensors, engine etc replaced)

For a $115,000 BMW he had to deal with all this + no money back + 1 1/2 months with no car. He ultimately sold the car later in 3 months at a loss of $35,000. Does that make all BMWs horrible? I dont think so. I've owned an e46 M3 for 5yrs with no issues. Owned an X5 and 540 for 2yrs and also no issues.

You just got unlucky. Sorry, that u had to go through with it all but at least u got ur money back.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
returned my a5 today, Ive had it just over a week...
Had it just over a week? How is that possible? :confused:

You just posted only 4 days ago (in your other thread) that you weren't wanting to spend over 45K for the car. How do you figure that you've had the car for "over a week" if on last Thursday you're still trying to figure out how much you want to pay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
actually found one on the 13th but not for what i wanted ,bought it outright took it home 15th morning had problems that night took it back 15th night been in the shop for 4 days so far then just sold it back to the dealer on the 4th day in the shop. almost a week 6 days. 4 of which was in the shop.
sorry i was counting the days since i signed my life over to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Obviously you've had a bad experience, as I can see. But I wouldnt come to the conclusion that every Audi is terribly made. The same thing can happen to any car from any manufacturer.

Members of this forum, as with any owners club, will automatically defend the marque. But it does seem that you were terribly unlucky.

Audi is one of the most reliable manufacturers you'll find (although, the Japanese manufacturers will never really be beaten). The reason I chose my audi was for reliability, after 18months of owning an Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Similar story from my dad's M-B CL600. He had it 10 days in the first 3 months of ownership. Tranny, tranny ecu, engine ecu, wiring, sensors, etc. were all replaced trying to get the car to work. Does this mean all M-B are bad? He and mom have owned about 10 M-B in the last 10 years. All the rest were fairly trouble free.

Of all the cars my wife or myself have owned the one with the least troubles was a Dodge minivan we purchased with 2,000 miles on it that the dealership owners wife had been driving. 7 years and it never once went into the shop. I have owned Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Pontiac, Eagle, Honda, Subaru, Acura, and currently MINI and Audi in the past 15 years. Each of them has been in the shop at least once. Had the most problems with the Acura (transmission recall). Does this make all these bad brands? No. Just bad luck.

I think it is a double problem with high end cars. One they have more gadgets and widgets to break. Second you expect more out of the car so anything that is just not right you complain about and want fixed. With a cheap car if it rattles or squeaks you just deal with it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Audis are great quality motors IMHO

returned my a5 today, Ive had it just over a week and its been at audi for 4 days now, i have a friend who works at another audi dealership as a mechanic. I will never buy AUDI again, they are terribly made.
This seems unbelievable, bad luck.

I am sure Audi would not want this to happen. I have been regularly buying VAG products for 25+ years and in the main they have been excellent. (Cheque in the post please Audi... joke!!):D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry to see you got a lemon. Happens to all car manufacturers. Just goes to show that every product out there can't be 100% guaranteed perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.