Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to teach myself how to video edit and this is my first proper go at it :nerd:

Would ya'll mind having a watch and posting a few critiques?

I filmed it all on my Samsung S7 Edge with a 37mm Aukey Circular Polarizer Lens and edited the videos in Lightworks. If I really get into it I'll get some proper gear.

I've learnt loads already, but mostly that I need to hold the phone steady :laugh:

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Nice first effort, Andy. Your framing is good, and you've pretty much nailed keeping the camera steady (which is always the very bugger when working with phone cameras). Tracking is, likewise, good, and the slo-mo drift sequence worked particularly well.
Watch how you pace your cuts. Some of them are a little too quick, and out of kilter with others in the block, especially early on. You evened things out later, so all good.
When you're working with a music track that has such a defined beat, your cuts have to be on the beat every time. Because your audience will key to the audio, a literal off-beat cut will make for dissonance every time. A little jarring.
Don't race into getting "proper gear". Several of the videographers I know are using their phone cameras in place of dedicated equipment more and more frequently. They like the immediacy, rawness and straight-up handiness of the phones. They're also of the opinion that the dramatic evolution in phone camera sensors and optics, exemplified by the likes of the S7 Edge and the iPhone 7 Plus, coupled with the explosion in high quality third party apps, lenses and rigs (and, yes, there's a steadicam rig for phone cameras out there!), pushes back the need for dedicated kit. One of them has just about completely abandoned his pro camera when doing field work, preferring his trusty 7 Plus!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice first effort, Andy...

Watch how you pace your cuts. Some of them are a little too quick...

When you're working with a music track that has such a defined beat, your cuts have to be on the beat every time...

Don't race into getting "proper gear"...
Thanks Julian for taking the time to view and comment.

Completely agree with you on the pace and the cuts to beat, I had a couple of problems achieving exactly what I wanted, one being my clips weren't the right length to hit the beat (lesson learnt capture slightly more footage that can be trimmed), and my laptop isn't quite powerful enough, so when previewing in Lightworks the sound is out by roughly a second.

Quite coincidentally, I happened across this article in Mashable:
Michel Gondry debuts film shot entirely on Apple's iPhone 7
Just read the article, really interesting, I'm fully on board if it saves me some money :grin2: more money for car parts :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts