Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I was just wondering if the exterior components of the S-line package can be retro-fitted. I didn't order the S-line package because I wanted the Cinnamon Brown Leather so any ideas? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On order:
A5 3.2 quattro
6-speed automatic transmission, Quartz Gray metallic, Cinnamon Brown Milano Leather, Technologoy Package, Navigation Package, and B&O Sound System.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, I have installed the side skirts from the S5. The installation is very easy, but be careful that the dealer must order eighteen clips for both skirts.

The cost fot the spares is 85 euro for every skirt(at least here in Greece) and for the painting and installation the dealer charged me 100euros.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, of course all the exterior components can be retrofitted if you want to spend the money to get everything painted etc. Front is probably a tad bit expensive because you need, in addition to the bumper, new plastic surroundings for the fog lights etc.

I guess the side-skirts are one of the easier/cheaper ones and have been done by many people here, see:

S5 Side Skirts
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/s5-side-skirts-2338/index.html

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hi all!
I was just wondering if the exterior components of the S-line package can be retro-fitted. I didn't order the S-line package because I wanted the Cinnamon Brown Leather so any ideas? Thanks!
Just like you, I did not order the S-line package because I really wanted CB interior. But, I also really wanted the rear diffuser that comes with the S-line. So, I chose to have it retro-fitted after taking delivery of my car. I decided not to bother with the side skirts (called "stone guards" by Audi) because I actually like the look of the car without them.

How about the rear bumper (vent looking thing)? Can it be retro-fitted?
In order to fit the diffuser ("vent") to a non S-line A5, you have to purchase an entirely new bumper cover. That's because the bumper cover on the regular A5 is not the same as the S-line one, and the diffuser simply will not fit the regular A5. (FYI, the S-line rear bumper cover is the exact same as the S5's.)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, I have installed the side skirts from the S5. The installation is very easy, but be careful that the dealer must order eighteen clips for both skirts.

The cost fot the spares is 85 euro for every skirt(at least here in Greece) and for the painting and installation the dealer charged me 100euros.

Go for it.
Emegal can you speculate a little bit more on that please... I also have a non-sline a5 1.8 and I want to have the side skirts on. The local dealer here in Larisa told me the only way to put them on is to use glue but I dont want them that way. You said that there are some clips that go with the skirts. Do you have their part number? Are they 18 per skirt? And moreover, is a non-sline A5 already properly drilled by the factory in order to get those clips on, or did you have to drill/modify the car yourself? I also would be greatful if you informed me about which dealer in Athens did the job so I can contact him directly. Thank you.

PS. I also sent you this message in Greek, as I Private Message.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The local dealer here in Larisa told me the only way to put them on is to use glue but I dont want them that way. You said that there are some clips that go with the skirts. Do you have their part number? Are they 18 per skirt? And moreover, is a non-sline A5 already properly drilled by the factory in order to get those clips on, or did you have to drill/modify the car yourself?
FWIW, the part number for those clips in the US parts system is 8T0 853 909. There are 9 clips per skirt. I know this because I had previously looked into having the side skirts fitted to my car.

From what I and the technicians at my dealership were able to determine, the non S-line A5 does not already have pre-drilled holes for the clips (unless perhaps there are perforations for the holes hidden under the paint :confused:). So, that means the options are to either (1) drill holes into the side of the car, or (2) install the skirts with a strong bonding agent.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have all those holes drilled into my car, as one never knows if they're going to get lined up properly by the body shop. So, if I were going to install them, I'd go with the bonding agent option. (See this thread.)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want to have all those holes drilled into my car, as one never knows if they're going to get lined up properly by the body shop.
There is also the point of corrosion/rust - any new holes just drilled into the car might introduce risks like that too. 18 new holes near the bottom of the car would make me a bit nervous unless they were painted and protected properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a A5 3 litre tdi quattro. I just fitted the side skirts and rear difuser, double pipe exausts. The kit is made by ABT in Germany. Check it out on the net.
The istallation is easy and you glue mostly the side skirts. The rear bumper insert is mostly plug on and 5 screws.The exausts have to be cut. Check my car. This mod is not cheap but it looks great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a A5 3 litre tdi quattro. I just fitted the side skirts and rear difuser, double pipe exausts. The kit is made by ABT in Germany. Check it out on the net.
The istallation is easy and you glue mostly the side skirts. The rear bumper insert is mostly plug on and 5 screws.The exausts have to be cut. Check my car. This mod is not cheap but it looks great.
How much they cost in total? It looks really promising. :D How about the exhausts? They look great as well. :cool:

Nice mods!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much they cost in total? It looks really promising. :D How about the exhausts? They look great as well. :cool:

Nice mods!!!
Hi,
The total cost 2000 euros.;)
That includes painting. The "kit" was installed by my self.
Check the ABT dealer in Canada. There is one there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Side skirt

FWIW, the part number for those clips in the US parts system is 8T0 853 909. There are 9 clips per skirt. I know this because I had previously looked into having the side skirts fitted to my car.

From what I and the technicians at my dealership were able to determine, the non S-line A5 does not already have pre-drilled holes for the clips (unless perhaps there are perforations for the holes hidden under the paint :confused:). So, that means the options are to either (1) drill holes into the side of the car, or (2) install the skirts with a strong bonding agent.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have all those holes drilled into my car, as one never knows if they're going to get lined up properly by the body shop. So, if I were going to install them, I'd go with the bonding agent option. (See this thread.)

Could you tell me if you glue the clips on or the side skirt itself to the body? i have ordered the parts from outside including the clips and getting it tomorrow but the local dealer says he can only install it 2 weeks from today so i may take it to another workshop and they may not be familiar with the installation procedures.

thanks

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Could you tell me if you glue the clips on or the side skirt itself to the body?
The clips are not glued onto the body or the side skirt. You would only use glue (i.e., strong bonding agent) if you chose not to use the clips at all and instead decided to glue the side skirts directly to the body of the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am wondering how a non s-line A5 would look with the side skirts on. Would they visually fit with the less aggressive bumper? Pics anyone?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You cannot simply drill the sill and screw in the these pins for the clips to attach to. They are welded onto the body and can be done by a pro body shop but you would be silly to go this route as the paint would need to be rubbed back to bare metal in order to achieve the weld. The pins are 'T' shaped and the same as the ones holding the wheel liners under each of the wings.
Any one wanting to fit the stone guards needs to use 3M tape which is what the guards have fitted as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I guess there may be many ways to do the mod. In the end an ABT body kit is going to look like this . These pics taken yesterday, in a town in Portugal, close to one of the oldest (Roman) but functional briges in Europe.
Note the wheels, 20mm spacers have been installed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Morski is it experience or common sence talking? Some members here have followed the drilling method with no complaints so far. I am sceptical about this as well.
Anyway though the abt skirts complement the car I was talking about the S5 side skirts. Anyone has any pics? Thanx!

·
Registered
152 Posts
"I am wondering how a non s-line A5 would look with the side skirts on. Would they visually fit with the less aggressive bumper? Pics anyone?"

In Finland all A5's come standard from factory with these S-line side skirts..so at least the importer things they visually fit:) ..I agree!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
is anyone know any trusted garages (prefered london area if possible) to paint and fit sideskirts, grille and bumpers ?? Where U guys getting them from? dealers only?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts