Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above rearly I will be taking delivery of a new A5 3.0 tdi sport in a couple of weeks and just woundered if this could be fitted by the dealers at PDI. Has any body had this carried out yet, Factory fitted cost of this option in the UK is £100 many thanks for your help.

John

· Registered
1,269 Posts
I doubt you can retro fit it and if you could I would imagine the cost would be prohibitive. With an average labour rate of around £70 per hour I'm guessing even if they could do it, with parts you'd be talking hundreds of pounds. I forgot to order the extended lighting pack on my last 6 series BM and tried to get the dealer to retrofit the illuminated sill protectors but they couldn't do it. I could be wrong but with the music interface retro fit issues - and thats a popular option - I'd guess thats how it'll be. Have you asked your dealer ?

Rear Reading lights & glove compartment illumination may be possible.
Entrance light, front footwell lights (LED),vents, door control illumination and active door reflectors doubtfull.

I'd forget about it if I was you, the rest of the interior lights up like a Christmas tree anyway..

· Registered
269 Posts
I have lighting pack in my car can someone please tell me exactly what I should expect from it unlike my last A6 these led footwell lights do not remain on while the car is driving thus setting up a great interior ambience

· Registered
18 Posts
Is that correct, do the led footwell lights in the A5 not stay illuminated whilst driving? Is there anyway of keeping them illumanated? Ive got an A6 s-line at the moment which is being traded in for an A5, love the night driving experience, its like the cockpit in an airplane!

· Registered
464 Posts
i am doing the exact same thing as you, tried to da deal with preston no joy, ended up at warrington

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Is that correct, do the led footwell lights in the A5 not stay illuminated whilst driving? Is there anyway of keeping them illumanated? Ive got an A6 s-line at the moment which is being traded in for an A5, love the night driving experience, its like the cockpit in an airplane!
A6 is a different beast, the interior ambiance lighting is adjustable too (well, A8 is on another level still). A5 is more subdued, no signature elements like light bars in the doors or things like that and there are no settings for interior lights (except the usual brightness control for all car interior light).

No, the footwell lights are not lit when driving an A5 (much like an A3, although A5 does have LEDs instead of bulbs so the footwell lights do look nice) and the only interior lightpack lights visible in the front when driving are the vents lights I think (since the usual lightpacket element roof LEDs are standard (!), which is funny considering a glove compartment light isn't standard...).

I don't think there is any known way to keep the footwell lights on when driving. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a VAG COM code that could keep them on, but as far as I know none has been discovered yet. One could try asking Audi or an authorized maintenance shop, please report if you do find out something.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Rear Reading lights & glove compartment illumination may be possible.
Entrance light, front footwell lights (LED),vents, door control illumination and active door reflectors doubtfull.
Blade made a good post. (Rear reading lights might be especially easy since light is already there isn't it, so just replace it with a module that houses reading lights - cabling might be the same, so spare part cost mostly...) Since the lightpack doesn't probably include any difficult electronics or changes to the structure of the car, the general answer is, sure, get all the parts and strip half the car inside out, sure it can be done. The realistic answer is that a dealer probably will not do it, not all anyway.

People have retrofitted lightpack elements on an A6, for example here (and do browse the rest of the thread too), the door light bars:

http://www.navplus.us/forums/showthread.php?t=7887&page=4

But since A5 doesn't have door light bars (the long ambience bars under the decorative trim), that isn't really relevant, just an example of what it takes.

The actual fitting of the lights is probably the easy part. Place for the light is probably already there in many cases, just with some cover, you just need to add the light element (or replace the existing part with one compatible/including the light). The hard part is wiring the cabling to all these lights that might not (probably isn't) be there readily.

The realistic answer is, choose one or two most important lights for you and try and get a quote from the Audi dealer for those. They could probably do some of them, like Blade suggested above. Or, try doing it yourself and you can, in time, even complete the entire retrofit since your own time (freetime) doesn't cost in money terms and you can space out the project as you need.

You could get Audi repair manual and find out yourself how to remove the necessary trim and wire cabling and lights there (which you could probably buy from spares, cables you might have to do partially yourself or try to get e.g. Kufatec.de to help you, if they are not available as separate cables from Audi).

Notes on Audi repair manuals - How to find/access them
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/audirepairmanuals.html

· Registered
152 Posts
I would need urgently instructions how to connect the wires for the door lights (red & clear ones) to my A5 Coupe that was also without interior light package.

I managed to add lights to floor and glove compartment but cannot find a suitable connection for the door lights. I have also activated the left and right door light with Ross-Tech already.

HELP!!!

· Registered
244 Posts
Web Link...

I would need urgently instructions how to connect the wires for the door lights (red & clear ones) to my A5 Coupe that was also without interior light package.

I managed to add lights to floor and glove compartment but cannot find a suitable connection for the door lights. I have also activated the left and right door light with Ross-Tech already.

HELP!!!
Hi Robstu

I found this link on another forum which hopefully will be of help, try: http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a4-s4-cabrio/117862-door-red-white-light-retrofit.html

Please check out your other post, I'm needing info for footwell light install!!:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Here is the wiring diagram to connect your door lights if you already havent done it.

This is the module you need to connect it too mounted behind the door panel.

Attachments

· Registered
152 Posts
Thanks a lot!I managed to get the lights lit! It is pin nr 16 in the connector for + (if somebody else needs to do this job).

The clue was that it could not be measured before an actual light was connected, the door closed and opened once. Only after closing and opening the door this lightpackage option is activated.

· Registered
2,353 Posts
Contrats on the retrofit Robstu

Hows about posting the steps you took and some pics for others who are considering a similar project.

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.