Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quote from my local UK dealer for retrofitting the iPod connectivity to the MMI. It was about £600! This seems extremely high for something you can spec at build time for £200. Anyone had it done for cheaper? Does it have to be an Audi dealer? I'm wondering if I should just make do with the SD card functionality.

·
Registered
464 Posts
if you dont have sat nav then no ami ipod, i had it fitted to my 2006 a6 for £400

·
Registered
549 Posts
You're right Laingy, it is expensive.

My S5 was a demonstrator without factory fitted iPod adaptor. I had the Denison Gateway fitted for AUD $1100.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Are you sure its £600. I had heard figures from dealers for much less than that. I think your dealer is marking up big time.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Are you sure its £600. I had heard figures from dealers for much less than that. I think your dealer is marking up big time.
That may be true if you say so (for me 600 pounds actually sound less I've heard quoted for it in places), but anyway, comparing factory price like the original poster and retrofit price is not really useful. Retrofits usually require some redundant new components (that redundancy is not there at factory) and they are labour-intensive (and labour costs a lot). All retrofits (some exceptions, of course) cost more than factory price. Audi also prices spareparts usually higher than factory parts.

The dealer might insist on replacing the glove compartment for instance, adding to cost. Own retrofitters might just cut some holes and stuff the unit there - proper retrofitting of AMI (that looks like factory fully) requires a new glove compartment and other parts...

The age old adage: Order it from factory, stupid. :) I'm all for retrofits, but people should accept that they do cost more.

Of course, look around for the best deal or even do it yourself to save monetary cost (replaced by time cost and associated risks), but comparing factory and retrofit pricing isn't useful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably would have specced it if I had oredered the car from new, but I picked up an ex-demonstrator and saved on all that initial depreciation. I'll make do with the SD slot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
well getting it from the factory means you have to pay for $2900 the navigation to get the AMI
so its still a saving

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
well getting it from the factory means you have to pay for $2900 the navigation to get the AMI
so its still a saving
Is AMI not orderable without navi in the U.S.? In Europe starting with model-year 2009 it is orderable separately without navi.

But anyway, retrofits almost always cost more (when installing factory parts), so one shouldn't wonder about it too much - just make the call is it worth it. Don't worry too much about what you should or should not have done when ordering the car, that is water under the bridge, the most important thing is what do you want for your car today and can you afford it. Don't worry if it costs more than factory option would have cost, that is hindsight, just get it if you want and can afford it. The psychological price of lamenting something you don't have and would have wanted can be much higher... You'll be sure to enjoy the new toy and the car gets a bit of new flare and longevity with the small upgrade...

Of course doing the retrofit yourself and/or ordering partially used-part kits from a place like Kufatec.de will allow you to save money, sometimes making it even cheaper (although rarely for the U.S. with the dollar and all) than a factory option would have been.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It AMI not orderable without navi in the U.S.? In Europe starting with model-year 2009 it is orderable separately without navi.
Yes, AMI is now available to be ordered separately on US spec MY2009 A5/S5s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts