Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon one and all......

Long story, so bear with me, and sorry to start my postings with a moan....

Well, I've returned to Audi, after a brief encounter with a 350Z.

I had many problems with my last Audi a 225 TTc but I won't bore you with the details......

I swore never to return to Audi, until I saw the A5, and just had to have one.

Well, the dealer delayed the the delivery date, from 30th May to the following week as the paper work for my private plate had been delayed.

The car was delivered on 4th June, it what can only be describe as a very poor condition, I think it had been mopped not washed.
But as I was away from the office, that morning I didn't sign for the car.

I noticed that the tax was dated from the 20th with my reg no.... so explain the delay please Mr Dealer.......

But this is where it gets complicated.

I began to wash the car on the Friday night after work, and realised how much of the transit wax was still left on the car. It was a mess.

But on closer inspection, I found a few areas of paintwork damage.
and evidence that the car had had "paint" and whoever had done it, had "cut" the runs / drips with a blade / razor.

These are mainly on the bonnet but are also visible on the wings and other areas.

There is also signs of impact damage on the trim on the side of the windscreen.

After almost one month of email tennis, they have instructed me to take it to an Audi approved body shop to check it over.

The chap looked over the car for almost 30 mins, and in his opionion, its had a complete respray, looking at the depth of paint over the whole body of the car.

He thinks its been done at the factory, as the fixed panels are very well done, but still too much paint. but the bolt-on panels have even more paint and every one has evidence of runs, and botched "cuts" to remove the drips.

This doesn't explain the trim damage near the screen.

Audi claim its now too late to reject the car, the delays caused by them not making a decision what to do, as their manager was off on paternaty leave.

To say I'm a little mift would put it mildly.
I was going to say its took the shine of it..........

Anyone else had any paint issues from delivery and did you get them resolved ?

They want to re-paint the front end again, to remove the runs / drips.

But two lots of paint of a month old car is just not on.

I will add some pics to show the damage / drips, including bits of fluff stuck in the paint drips.

Thanks for taking the time to read ......

Ian.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'll start by saying that its not too late to reject the car..But you need to do so in writing straight away clearly detailing the issues and providing supportive evidence where possible. The dealer has failed to provide a satisfactory explanation of the delay and so have Audi. New cars get damaged during transit all the time, I remember a freak hail storm denting hundreds of new cars awaiting shipment to the UK..But it is unacceptable to have runs and paint damage on delivery. Both Audi and the dealer will obviously dig their heals in but you have a sound case for rejection and in my opinion (and I work in the industry) you should demand a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
(Edit - Sorry Blade, echoing what you said as we posted at the same time)

Hi Ian, welcome to the Forum and back to Audi but commiserations on your experience.
Personally, I'd be very loathe to let them touch it - I'm no lawyer but irrespective of what they've said thus far, I suspect you still have a good chance of being able to reject the vehicle - consumer protection is one area in the UK which still favours the man in the street (in many cases at least).

I understand that you don't want this to turn into a long drawn-out saga but once you've allowed them an attempt to repair it, you're pretty much stuck with it.

Getting an independent inspection carried out and then paying a solicitor a few quid to have drafted a well-worded letter, laying out the facts, dates, commitments, etc. (and copied to Audi UK) will likely have the effect of changing your dealer's position.

Hope it works out for you - and again - welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
~Thanks for the welcomes..........

Its a bit complicated as its a Lease / Company car supplied from their choosen dealer.

I will post more info as and when I get a result......

Ian

·
Registered
162 Posts
The chap looked over the car for almost 30 mins, and in his opionion, its had a complete respray, looking at the depth of paint over the whole body of the car.

He thinks its been done at the factory, as the fixed panels are very well done, but still too much paint. but the bolt-on panels have even more paint and every one has evidence of runs, and botched "cuts" to remove the drips.
I find it VERY hard to believe that this was done at the paint shop in Ingolstadt.

Audi claim its now too late to reject the car, the delays caused by them not making a decision what to do, as their manager was off on paternaty leave.
When you say Audi, do you mean your dealer?
Without hesitation I recommend you write a letter to Audi UK and CC the customer care and B8 production manager in Germany.

I have friends at Audi HQ, if you give me a bit of time and I will find the postal address/email to send CC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find it VERY hard to believe that this was done at the paint shop in Ingolstadt.

When you say Audi, do you mean your dealer?
Without hesitation I recommend you write a letter to Audi UK and CC the customer care and B8 production manager in Germany.

I have friends at Audi HQ, if you give me a bit of time and I will find the postal address/email to send CC.

I know what you mean, but the shell is in much better condition than the panels.... if you know what I mean.

If you hav any inside contacts then that would be a great help, last time I had to deal with Audi Customer services, I ended up putting them on my "friends and family" list I rang them that often.

Ian.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Woah!!!!
That is just not on:eek:

No way has that been done in an Audi approved body shop let alone at the Audi factory.

Looks like a kid with a spray gun!

You need to make sure that the lease company are fully aware of the situation and get something in writing from them. If you end up keeping the car (which I would do but only until the one they order you in replacement arrives) they might try and say that you had a prang in it and you would be liable for the cost of repairing that sh1te workmanship.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
(Edit - Sorry Blade, echoing what you said as we posted at the same time)

Hi Ian, welcome to the Forum and back to Audi but commiserations on your experience.
Personally, I'd be very loathe to let them touch it - I'm no lawyer but irrespective of what they've said thus far, I suspect you still have a good chance of being able to reject the vehicle - consumer protection is one area in the UK which still favours the man in the street (in many cases at least).

I understand that you don't want this to turn into a long drawn-out saga but once you've allowed them an attempt to repair it, you're pretty much stuck with it.

Getting an independent inspection carried out and then paying a solicitor a few quid to have drafted a well-worded letter, laying out the facts, dates, commitments, etc. (and copied to Audi UK) will likely have the effect of changing your dealer's position.

Hope it works out for you - and again - welcome!
Just seen the pictures, that is unbelievable and totally not acceptable. IU would do exactly what these guyz have recommended.

I think that is an absolute piss take......don't take no for an answer. Also which dealer was this??

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think the pics speak for themselves..I'd get a set of those off in an email to Audi Customer Services demanding a solution within 7 working days or you will take the matter to the solicitors...Sorry you're having this agro..that is just totally unacceptable...Where on the car is the second from last pic taken ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know what you mean, but the shell is in much better condition than the panels.... if you know what I mean.

If you hav any inside contacts then that would be a great help, last time I had to deal with Audi Customer services, I ended up putting them on my "friends and family" list I rang them that often.

Ian.
Sure. I'll PM you with the names as soon as my friend calls me back..

- I suggest you CC them purely as an 'FYI' activity so there is some visibility in Audi HQ. This should help maintain the corporate procedure in the UK

In my opinion, this reeks of a cover-up by the UK supplier or probably more likely the leasing company.

I'm certain Audi Germany have a piece of paper with the Audi UK dealers signature on it for the condition of the car.

I suspect the finger pointing will occur between the UK dealer and your leasing company.

Lets see what they have to say. Did you or can you get anything in writing from the Audi bodyshop you took it to? Would help at this stage to first clear up the factory paint-shop questions.

I'll eat my hat if this is a factory issue - they are obsessed with quality!
After saying that, I should warn you I have a nice spaghetti fedora standing by ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll eat my hat if this is a factory issue - they are obsessed with quality!
After saying that, I should warn you I have a nice spaghetti fedora standing by ;)
Scrub that, I've just looked at those pictures again..

I'll up the ante to an 18" fur & lambswool Busby this is not the factory's work

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Wow, unbelievable.

I'm sure if you've let the leasing company know, they'll be on your side and they'll take action as well. At the end of the day, the car belongs to the leasing company.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Woah! That's something VERY Shady...

Hi Ian and Welcome.

DO NOT ACCEPT THIS CAR and DO NOT ACCEPT that you cannot reject this car... Remember under your statutory rights, the 'goods' must match the description. This is NOT a perfect, OR by the looks of it New car and the paintwork is NOT fit for purpose as the finish is not suitable.

DO NOT ACCEPT the respray option until you have this sorted...

In my experience, Trading Standards are very helpful in both helping you understand your options and persuing beaches of standards, so I would call them immediately.

Finally I suspect that this car either has a very 'dodgy' history prior to registration, or has been damaged in transit or at the dealership and repaired very poorly. I think the 'supply chain' of this car is at fault.

I doubt that the factory has any facility to respray cars, because they are painted as seperate panels on the production line, so I think this has happened after leaving the factory.

Keep us informed of your progress and we will chip in what advice we can.

I'm sorry your experience is so poor, as the car is just beautiful (well most are!)

Ian.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So, here's a link from another forum post that covers the painting process. As others have mentioned, I think it would be unlikely that this damage happened at the factory.

http://tv.audi.com/index.aspx?lan=en&vid=970&skiplink=1&q=3

Playing investigator - I suspect that there was damage or something happened when the car was delivered to the dealer. They wanted to get it fixed, and this is what caused the delay in you taking delivery of the car. Of course, the results are that some less than quality body shop did the work as you've seen.

This is of course all purely speculation on my part, so take it for what it's worth. Ian's last post is spot on - don't let them get away with it.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would think that if you got your hands on some picures of other "new" A5/S5 autos you could show the level of quality and its difference to what you received. That being the playing field the photos you have show someone tried to cover up someone else's bad day. Don't settle for what you didn't pay for, reject this car and push it through any Audi channel you can find. Quality is foremost in marketing autos in this day and age.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Ian,

Something is very fishy to me. From your original post there seems to be a delay from the time the car was shipped to the time it was delivered.

Sometimes, the car is damaged at the port, usually because of careless port drivers clipping the bumpers, then they can re-paint near the port at a local body shop, prior to dealer delivery. It could be that your car had a more serious repair that was needed or more likely that they could not match the colour from the minor repair so re-painted the complete car! (Morons do this kind of thing)

Do as others have advised - return the car and give it them back.

I am not a legal expert, but I am sure that a dealer that fails to disclose a major repair at the point of sale, selling "new" for "repaired" is liable for prosecution.

Well, what you will be up against is the dealer telling you - its OK its still under warranty. Just stand your ground and don't buy that line of BS.

I did a huge ammount of research on Audi paint in 2000 when I received my new S4 with a paint defect on the air dam - the paint was just flaking off. This included going down the legal route (beter Business Burea, lawyer, independant analysis, etc) but the law is different in US than the UK, but I bet the basic principle is the same.

At that time I swore never to buy another Audi, due to poor quality control- uncanny how history repeats itself - now with the S5 and the clutch bearing.

Anyway, its pretty certain that you are not looking at factory paint - but some local aftermarket body shop work. Check inside the door near the pillars for a change in colour or in the trunk (boot) lid.

Let us know....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...Where on the car is the second from last pic taken ?
That impact damage is on the lower front spoiler where it meets the wing.

I will take another shot of the whole front of the car and "arrow" the damage areas.

The letter to reject the car has gone, and the lease compnay are right behind me. they have also notified the suppling dealer and Audi HQ.

I am now waiting for their offer of how we proceed......

A replacement car will be weeks / months away, so who knows what I'll end up with for the next 3 months......

Not even sure if I want to give them another chance....... as mentioned before I had a right royal run-a-round with my last Audi.

Audi and I seem to taken up where we left off.

Anyone what a WHITE ( silent S ) 3.0 Tdi.sport with low miles...........

Ian.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That impact damage is on the lower front spoiler where it meets the wing.

I will take another shot of the whole front of the car and "arrow" the damage areas.

The letter to reject the car has gone, and the lease compnay are right behind me. they have also notified the suppling dealer and Audi HQ.

I am now waiting for their offer of how we proceed......

A replacement car will be weeks / months away, so who knows what I'll end up with for the next 3 months......

Not even sure if I want to give them another chance....... as mentioned before I had a right royal run-a-round with my last Audi.

Audi and I seem to taken up where we left off.

Anyone what a WHITE ( silent S ) 3.0 Tdi.sport with low miles...........

Ian.
Hi Ian,

Glad to hear wheels are in motion. Don't be too hasty waving Audi off.
If Audi UK/Germany do the right thing and make good with a new build, they should be able to offer a jump on the production slot.

Keep us informed on the progress!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.