Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to come on here as a new member and ask a question right away about what may appear to some of you to be a very simple mod, but I want to replace the gearstick gaiter (shift boot) on my brand new A5 Cabriolet with a custom one and cannot for the life of me find an existing thread explaining how to remove the old one.
The big question as far as I am concerned (I think I can work out the rest) is, "How do I get the base of the gaiter out of the centre console?". Is it just a question of applying brute force or is there a trick to it?
I would appreciate any help... Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Move the stick to give some slack on the boot and stick your fingers into the boot and pull upwards. It is just clipped in and will pop out. You then must remove the clamp holding the knob on to remove the boot. Look on youtube for JHM short shifter install video for a B8 as it will show you exactly what I am talking about for more clarity. Just be somewhat careful as you don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Move the stick to give some slack on the boot and stick your fingers into the boot and pull upwards. It is just clipped in and will pop out. You then must remove the clamp holding the knob on to remove the boot. Look on youtube for JHM short shifter install video for a B8 as it will show you exactly what I am talking about for more clarity. Just be somewhat careful as you don't want to break anything.
Thanks for the speedy reply, TapouTx914. Its the last sentence of what you wrote that led me to ask the question, rather than just try to force it. The car is just 2 weeks old!
Do you happen to know if the plastic(?) frame is supposed to come up with the gaiter/boot or does is remain in the console?

I couldn't find that video, by the way...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There IS a plastic frame inside the boot that has spring clips (also plastic) that snap into the console - If you grab from the sides rather than the top & bottom you can spring the frame inwards a bit and flex it enough to make the snaps easier to release ...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There IS a plastic frame inside the boot that has spring clips (also plastic) that snap into the console - If you grab from the sides rather than the top & bottom you can spring the frame inwards a bit and flex it enough to make the snaps easier to release ...
Thanks, Roger. That did the trick. Pulling inwards and upwards from the sides, specifically in the four corners, allows the plastic frame to pop out of the restraining clips easily and with little force required.

Now all I have to do it get the new gaiter/boot to fit...

I'll post a photo with details if I get it to fit nicely.

Btw... the URL you posted only links to a video from JHM on why their short shifter is best. No installation instruction as far as I could see. But thanks anyway!

John

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Please do :D
OK. As there are no replacement leather gaiters available for the A5 (at least I couldn't find any), I decided to see if a leather gaiter from another model could be made to fit...

The first one I tried was a red leather gaiter for an AUDI 80 B3/B4 CONVERTIBLE 86-00 from a company in the UK. (I don't know if I am allowed to name them here...)

I had to do surprisingly little to get it to fit - just a little bit of trimming around the base.

This is how it turned out...

As you can see the general fit was excellent!

There were however 2 small problems:
1. The colour much a much brighter red than my red leather upholstery
2. This was a 4 panel gaiter, rather than a 2 panel, as the factory fitted gaiter is. When I lined up the front and back seams, the left and right seams would not line up correctly, as you can just about see in the photo.

I decided to try again...

The next one I tried was a two-tone (red & black) leather gaiter for an AUDI A4 MK2 B6 01-05 from the same company.

Again, I had to do almost nothing at all to get it to fit.

This is how it turned out...

As you can see again the fit was excellent and this time the seams (2 at the front & 1 at the back) lined up perfectly! The shade of red is also a better match to my seats...

So I'm going to stick with this one at least until such time as 'official' A5 gaiters start to appear on eBay.

This will hopefully be soon as I intend to send my 'old' gaiter off to one of the companies who make these replacement gaiters as they are very keen of course to get one, so they can use it to create a template.

If anyone else is thinking of following my example, I can probably provide some additional tips as there were a couple of quite tricky steps required to separate the old gaiter from the factory gear knob.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update... Final version...

OK... Final update on this...

I have now received back, from the company I sent my factory gaiter to, a 'prototype' A5 leather shift boot/gaiter - this was part of the 'deal'.

It fits perfectly and looks excellent. They even managed to find a relatively close match to the shade of red I needed, despite my not being able to send them a sample...!

As you can see, it really looks well...

I'm guessing that they will soon be advertising these on eBay. The company is based in the UK and already have a large offering of replacement gaiters for sale. (I don't know if I am allowed to name them here...)

If anyone needs a gaiter for an automatic, they will probably offer you a similar deal...

Before anyone asks... The gear knob is one I picked up cheap on eBay...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Replacing gaiter - help please

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a leather gaiter off Ebay with white stitching which I think will look miles better than the current black stock gaiter. The leather seems pretty good too.

I have lifted up the gaiter but there is a clip holding the gear knob on. Do I need to get a screwdriver in here to release the clip, how do I remove the gearknob to get the gaiter on, or do I need to take the whole shifter out? anyone?

Thanks JB

P1010006.JPG P1010007.JPG

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Managed to ease the clip off and then ease the gear knob up and off.

Took me a while to get the plastic collar off securing the top of the gaiter onto the gear knob but managed it, cracked it but after putting the new gaiter on, and then collar wrapped the collar in strong fabric tape.

Also couldn't get the metal collar/clip back on so had to use a jubliee clip to hold it all secure which aint a bad thing because Im thinking possibly of getting the rs gear knob if it will fit.

The gaiter looks pretty good, the white stitching just providing a contrast. It was a perfect sizes and had all the holes/shapes as the original so clipped straight onto the lower plastic bracket.

There also a cover available with white stitching (and lots of other colours) for the armrest which I may also get.

P1010008.JPG P1010009.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, Jonnie. I only just received notification of your post in this thread today!

But it looks like you've worked it all out for yourself anyway.

Just to confirm...

I don't think the clamp that Audi fit to hold the top of the gaiter in place can be re-used; at least not without some sort of special tool or a lot more patience than I possess. There's probably something better out there somewhere, but I used a jubilee clip as well. It leaves a little bump under the leather where the screw sits, but its not really noticeable and as you say, it can be re-used.

For anyone else thinking of replacing the original gaiter, I would just say to be careful removing the plastic clip. You DO need to use a screwdriver or something to prise it off. But, as you learnt to your cost, it WILL crack if you apply too much pressure!

I hope you enjoy your new gaiter as much as I do mine. It is definitely a big improvement on the cheap-looking one supplied by Audi!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Sorry, Jonnie. I only just received notification of your post in this thread today!

But it looks like you've worked it all out for yourself anyway.

Just to confirm...

I don't think the clamp that Audi fit to hold the top of the gaiter in place can be re-used; at least not without some sort of special tool or a lot more patience than I possess. There's probably something better out there somewhere, but I used a jubilee clip as well. It leaves a little bump under the leather where the screw sits, but its not really noticeable and as you say, it can be re-used.

For anyone else thinking of replacing the original gaiter, I would just say to be careful removing the plastic clip. You DO need to use a screwdriver or something to prise it off. But, as you learnt to your cost, it WILL crack if you apply too much pressure!

I hope you enjoy your new gaiter as much as I do mine. It is definitely a big improvement on the cheap-looking one supplied by Audi!
Thanks for coming back, yes looks good and even with tape around the cracked collar, it aint going anywhere. Dont know whether to do the armrest too?

JB:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts