Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one for the Audi Technical guru's

My dealer has just found a fault in my front offside shock absorber and is replacing it.
My concern is that the car has done 10000 miles and they are not replacing both.
Will the car be ok with one new shock and one with 10000 miles on it ?
The dealer has said it will be ok and if it had been necessary to replace both then they would have done
Your help would be appreciated

Steve

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I can't see an issue with just replacing the one at 10,000 miles. These things are designed to do 100,000 miles and operate optimally to about 60,000 miles. After you have done about 2,000 miles on the new shock, you will have a 'matched pair' for all intents and purposes.

Further to this, on UK roads, expecially if you live in a rural area, the nearside (left) front shock will wear out 20% faster than the off-side, due to the roads having more 'undulations' near the verge, so they wear at different rates through their life anyhow.

The only question I would ask them is that when the shock is very new (first few hundred miles), will it affect stability under high-speed braking? If so, get them to write that down so you have some comeback if you have to do an emergency stop and the car does not behave.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats put my mind at rest
thanks for the quick reply :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think, they must be changed both, after 10000 miles, you have one 100% and old one is "only" in 90% condition. :thumbsdown:
They are sold in package of two only.

In my car, I would never change only one shock absorber.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have a choice as its a warranty issue.
If it feels wrong when the fix is done then I will complain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts