Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing the horrible OE tips on my B8 S5 4.2. Really struggling to find suppliers in the UK, but have found these on eBay.

Anyone using them or have experience in the past? I'm pretty sure they'll fit as the inlet is 2.25 inches

Any tips (pardon the pun) appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm currently making a custom exhaust using V8 S5 back boxes. The bore sizes are different to the 3.0 V6! V6 bore size = 54mm / V8 bore size is 57mm :) Not 100% sure on the outlet bore size as I haven't removed the tail pipes yet, so not got an accurate measurement.

The back box outlets are estimated at 56mm-ish and the tail pipes could be easily welded on.

BUT!
The OE tail pipes are molded around the outlet pipes (round to oval), welded on, then chrome dipped. You will either have to grind the heck out of the welds and hope they pull off. From what I can see, the easiest way is to cut them off, outlet pipes included, then weld a bit of outlet pipe onto the back box outlets as I guess the pipe may not be long enough after you have cut them off.

The other main issue is, 4" tail pipes won't fit side by side on the original outlet pipes! You will have to manipulate the outlet pipes to make a wider gap between them if you want to fit 4" tail pipes.
I have 3.5" tail pipes and even with these, they either will sit touching each other, or I have to widen the gap. I've not removed the OE tail pipes yet, so not sure yet how close they will be.

So it is possible with some choppin and welding. But definitely no a case of grind weld off and slip new ones on! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I am getting an X Pipe fitted with the above tips fitted next weekend, by a top exhaust fabricator, so expecting it to be a doddle for him.

Once they're on, new rear diffuser and wheels then the car is done!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm currently making a custom exhaust using V8 S5 back boxes. The bore sizes are different to the 3.0 V6! V6 bore size = 54mm / V8 bore size is 57mm :) Not 100% sure on the outlet bore size as I haven't removed the tail pipes yet, so not got an accurate measurement.

The back box outlets are estimated at 56mm-ish and the tail pipes could be easily welded on.

BUT!
The OE tail pipes are molded around the outlet pipes (round to oval), welded on, then chrome dipped. You will either have to grind the heck out of the welds and hope they pull off. From what I can see, the easiest way is to cut them off, outlet pipes included, then weld a bit of outlet pipe onto the back box outlets as I guess the pipe may not be long enough after you have cut them off.

The other main issue is, 4" tail pipes won't fit side by side on the original outlet pipes! You will have to manipulate the outlet pipes to make a wider gap between them if you want to fit 4" tail pipes.
I have 3.5" tail pipes and even with these, they either will sit touching each other, or I have to widen the gap. I've not removed the OE tail pipes yet, so not sure yet how close they will be.

So it is possible with some choppin and welding. But definitely no a case of grind weld off and slip new ones on! :)

You were right those tips wouldn't fit!

I need to source some 3.5" tips any ideas?

On a side note, just the X Pipe is perfect... not offensive and enough rumble.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
You can get those same tips in different sizes.

Have to do some searching. :)

Yes removing the centre resonator and adding the X pipe does improves the sound without being too much! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't seem to find them anywhere!! The company who offered those tips don't have any 3.5" in the style i like.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where are you?

Tony Banks Longlife exhausts in Leeds maybe able to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts