Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to eliminate the chrome around the windows on the car? Maybe replace it with a racier looking black finish? I'm going to start looking into this, too bad I still don't have a car to do it on. Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I know people on e90post are putting a vinyl over the chrome trim on there cars.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If several photoshops which have surfaced on this board are any indication, blacking out the aluminum (not chrome, not that shiny) trim around the windows changes the look of the car's lines dramatically. And not in a good way. It really takes away all the car's character. I hate unnecessary shiny bits as much as the next guy, but in this case, it seems to add something essential to the lines of the car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If several photoshops which have surfaced on this board are any indication, blacking out the aluminum (not chrome, not that shiny) trim around the windows changes the look of the car's lines dramatically. And not in a good way. It really takes away all the car's character. I hate unnecessary shiny bits as much as the next guy, but in this case, it seems to add something essential to the lines of the car.
I'm not sure that I've seen even a single one without the chrome. Maybe I didn't notice.

TX, where are you with the pictures already!?!?!?! :D

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think that would look a lot better in the flesh than it does in the photo. Maybe leave the wheels silver.

ETKA does not have any replacement non-chrome strips so i dont think you can 'officially' delete the chrome details.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't think the change is as dramatic as described. The blacked out car above is an example of taking it too far and "murdering out" your car. Disgusting in my view.

I will be removing the chrome surround and blacking it out in the next couple of weeks. I think with my new rims and some remaining brightwork on the car it will look pretty balanced.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sizzle!!

Have to done the mod yet? I'd like to see how it turned out!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
He hasn't done it yet.

BTW, there's a place in DFW where you can get it done. The guy simply installs adhesive black vinyl over the aluminum trim (without the need to remove the trim). I saw an A4 where he had blacked out the window trim, and for the life of me I could not tell it was done aftermarket. It literally looked like the car had come from the factory that way! Send me a PM if you want more details.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just ran across these pics of a blacked out S5 in the Netherlands. They blacked out the factory wheels, Audi emblem, front grille surround, and window trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too am interested in this. Does anyone know how to go about this? Can we come up with a kit or does it require just taking it to a shop and having them apply it and cut it?

Has anyone tried to eliminate the chrome around the windows on the car? Maybe replace it with a racier looking black finish? I'm going to start looking into this, too bad I still don't have a car to do it on. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will be removing the chrome surround and blacking it out in the next couple of weeks. I think with my new rims and some remaining brightwork on the car it will look pretty balanced.
Sizzle - have you done this yet? Has anyone used adhesive black vinyl over the aluminum trim? I'm curious about result and looking for a good SoCal shop to do this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just ran across these pics of a blacked out S5 in the Netherlands. They blacked out the factory wheels, Audi emblem, front grille surround, and window trim.
I like it but I think the rings should be left alone. Also did you see they left the crome around the fog lights. I dunno.....the front end just looks weird with that combination. Looks great from all the other angles.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Here's an S5 in Monaco with black wheels (with red pinstripe) and blacked out window trim. Also, it appears they painted the front grille and rear valance black, which are normally dark gray.

Gangsta!

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I photoshopped these pics to show what it would look like with the window chrome blacked out and then both the window and grill edge blacked out.

I think it looks ok.

Original without photoshop:

With window trim blacked out in photoshop:

With window and edge of grill blacked out in photoshop:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
IMHO... it looks so much better with the gloss!

PS. Did someone steel the number plate too??

·
Registered
371 Posts

Agreed about the chrome looking better. It makes the car look classier. The blacked out car looks sportier but cheaper.

And you saw that too huh? The plate looks awful on the front of any car. So I removed it to show the cars true potential. I figured that most of whom would be blackening their cars would also forgo the front plate also.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't think the change is as dramatic as described. The blacked out car above is an example of taking it too far and "murdering out" your car. Disgusting in my view.

I thought Id take the time to see what it would look like. Not the best quality but the pic was low on pixels.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I don't know... Just the window chrome done makes the mirrors stand out more. And in Australia where this pic is from we are not allowed to not have the front plate. :wall:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts