Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forgive me but I am not that familiar with exhuast mods.

I love the sound of the AWE pipes but hate the tips. Thinking a compromise would be keeping the stock exhuast but having a resonator removed (or two, not sure how many there are).

Would this make the stock exhuast sound the same but louder? Would it still sound good or like crap?

Would it be an easy thing for an exhuast shop to do?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
From experience with other cars, bypassing resonators with straight pipes will mostly affect the sound of the exhaust during partial throttle. Depending on how restrictive the OE units are, it may not be a big change. Overall, most of the exhaust note is affected by the final muffler at the very end. The other thing to note is that you won't really get much performance increase. The upside is that it should be a relatively inexpensive mod.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think that removing the resonators also improves the throttle response... at least it did on the M5.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys,

I've done some youtubing and most cars sounded way too ricey for my tatse after the resonators were removed.

I like the sound of the stock setup on the S5 I would just like it to be a little louder but not tinny and ricey.

Maybe getting a smaller aftermarket resonator installed would achieve this . . .

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys,

I've done some youtubing and most cars sounded way too ricey for my tatse after the resonators were removed.

I like the sound of the stock setup on the S5 I would just like it to be a little louder but not tinny and ricey.

Maybe getting a smaller aftermarket resonator installed would achieve this . . .
Absolute cheapest/easiest/cleanest solution would be to get an aftermarket high flow muffler like Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc or even Remus, Eisenmann, if you're feeling euro about it and then have the shop weld the stock tips to the aftermarket muffler. It will keep the stock look, you'll get the aftermarket sound, and it will still be resonated so you won't get the raspy-ness that you're probably referring to as ricey.

All said and done you should be under $500 USD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts