Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Thought i would put this up here as this is an odd one i believe!

I was at Audis in the Park yesterday and thought i would treat myself to a stage 1 remap.

After the remap was performed it was verified that the remap file was successfully uploaded to the ECU and it was taken for a test drive.

Unfortunately there was absolutely no change in the performance of the car. This is a 2010 pre face lift S5 3.0 V6 Supercharged.

The car was then put back to stock ECU then reflashed again to see if this would resolve the issue - absolutely no change once again.

The remapper also mentioned that my car seemed very underpowered and wondered if there was another underlaying issue.

a full scan was performed on the car but no fault codes where flagged up.

The remapper was absolutely fantastic with dealing with this issue and i will be working closely with them to get the car sorted. They had used the same remap file on 5 previous S5s with the same ECU ID as my own and never had any problem

Has anyone ever seen this issue before though where the car is remapped but there was no change in the power???

Nick

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Sorry cant provide any insight, but that does sound pretty worrying...! Have you ever noticed that it was slower? Been in other S5's to compare?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Goodness that is a strange one indeed......please keep us posted!!! Mine is normally aspirated so I have zero ezperience sorry.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
my suspicion is that the car was not taking the program, but he said your car was down on power, do you feel this way? have you had it dynoed?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very very odd right!

We did a live road test run.... had the car on the stock map low RPM in third gear, part way through the rev range we switched to the performance map and there was absolutely no difference in power etc.

The car has not been dyno'd yet but thats the next thing to try.

The company that did the mapping compared my car to an R32 Golf..... a V6 without the supercharger!!!

I went for a drive in Sportbacks S5 before i bought his AWE exhaust... i didnt think there was much difference in the power.

Im pretty lost to be honest

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems :(

Id check fueling, ignition, intakes, cooling and oil, and exhaust. Depending on how comfy you are with a spanner and have tools.

not that any of these are particularly quick checks, the fact the car feels the same before and after the map may mean one or more problem is a restriction that will cap the engine performance physically that no amount of map changes would fix.

From what I understand, there are many different 'maps' within the ecu that will adjust the power based on variables like temperature/pressure that work to reduce power in cases to avoid unwanted conditions and engine damage, these operate in the same way on all maps and it may not realize performance from a more aggressive map if other factors are telling the engine its not happy.

Are there any times of day/points in driving that it feels sprightlier? How do you use the car? Are there any noticeable surges or flat spots in the rev range?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont have any tools what so ever so it will all have to be booked in with a garage.

The car always performs the same, there are no times when the car is better that another time etc.

Car always seems to be pretty good to be honest, i had a carbon clean done on it at the weekend from Cuppas company which has made it feel a bit better still .

Car has stock intake, AWE Touring exhaust and no other performance enhancements.

Nick

·
Registered
303 Posts
Could it be it was already mapped by a previous owner? How have you fared erm 'comparing' you car performance wise to other road users?

Where are you based? Could you find a member to compare with

Failing all that maybe sell me your exhaust and see if that fixes it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im thinking about changing the exhaust as it happens so my AWE might be up for grabs soon.

At the moment i just want to get to the bottom of whats causing my car to be un mapable!!

To the best of my knowledge the car has never been remapped but who knows!!

compared to other S5s/... i have no idea i havent had a "meeting" with one ;-)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you have no check engine lights, and the car is not back firing or missing- its hard to believe that ITS DOWN ON POWER, this car as all audi's are very sophisticated and they can tell when something has gone wrong especially a power loss-have you had it carbon cleaned and what is the milage -since the last cleaning if ever

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the car carbon cleaned at Audis in the Park then went straight on to get it remapped.

To the best of my knowledge i doubt the car had ever been carbon cleaned until that point

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i did as the map didnt work!!

Initially i didnt feel too much difference but it was a hot day and the car was all over the place being played with .... after i got home and everything calmed down it does feel a bit more sharp with acceleration but its not a massive massive difference.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Nick, can you get access to VCDS? If you can then you can log the boost pressure - and compare to one from an unmapped car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes have got a cable ( currently for sale :p ) are they measuring blocks if so do you know where i have to go?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Accord 2.2 I-Dtec , same issue , got a stage 1 ECU Remap. 30 KW's extra. I feel no difference in the power. I was expecting some more Geforce, but it felt the same as always :( .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts