Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my S5 remapped to give the above. The company that carried out the work advised me to use Tesco 99ron. Has anybody else tried and what are the results etc?

The remap is really noticeable through the extra torque, as soon as you touch the pedal it jolts immediately, well worth doing :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those new figures seem pretty good! Are these from dyno results on your car (before and after). If true, for just getting remapped, it's an awful lot of "bang for the buck (pound)".

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Just had my S5 remapped to give the above. The company that carried out the work advised me to use Tesco 99ron. Has anybody else tried and what are the results etc?

The remap is really noticeable through the extra torque, as soon as you touch the pedal it jolts immediately, well worth doing :D
I use Tesco 99ron and yes definatley notice a differnce. In comparison the car feels sluggish on any 97ron and below. What fuel have you been using till now.
Incidently I'm presently in contact with a company called Sanspeed over a remap from Koch Tuning and the first thing they also stated was to use this fuel.
Who did your remap and are the figures you quote real (i.e. backed up with dyno/rolling road testing) or estimates?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Who did the remap and did they offer a dyno report?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, I am also interested in who did the tuining.

The best I have near me is shell V-Power 93 octane, which isn't as bad as people who live on the west coast with their 91 octane.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, I knew there was a difference, like metric vs. standard measurements, but I didn't know what the difference was or why they existed, so thanks for that article.

Anyways, by reading the article I see that US V-Power 93 PON is equivalent to Euro 97 RON, which isn't much down from the T99 RON that you guys get. Although, as I said, the highest the west coast gets, minus a few stations, is US 91 PON, which is the equivalent to Euro 95 RON, which is quite a bit less than 99 RON.

So, for you Euro guys, what is the RON ratings for the usual 3 kinds of fuel? In the US (well, the east coast, which is where I live), they are called Regular, which is 87 PON (equivalent to Euro 90/91 RON), Super, which is 89 PON (equivalent to Euro 92/93 RON), and Premium, which is 93 PON (equivalent to, as I said previously, Euro 97 RON). In the US, I have seen some specialty gas stations that sell 104 PON gas, which is equivalent to around Euro 109/110 RON... do you know of any gas stations around you that sell that high of an octane gas?

Also, a little fun tidbit. Did you know that E85 Ethanol, which I believe is a mix of 85% ethanol made from corn and 15% regular gas, and usually used by economy cars, US postal cars and some public transport vehicles, has a rating of US 105 RON, equivalent to Euro 111 RON? People, including me, usually think that E85 ethanol cars are for environmentalist pussies (even though science proves that although E85 cars produce 15-20% less greenhouse gases than their gas counterparts, E85 run cars are also 25-30% less efficient than their equal gas counterparts, which totally negates the emission benefit), an engine that can take both E85 and gas would be more powerful when its given E85 ethanol. I found this out after reading about the new Koenigsegg CCX-R, which gets 1018 HP on E85, but only 888 HP on regular 93 PON/ 97 RON gas... amazing!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The company I used was recommended by the Audi main dealership where I bought the car.

http://www.torquingbhp.co.uk/

The re-map costed £699 + VAT.

'All our remaps are fully tested and written by ourselves, they function with all VAG diagnostic equipment, respect all emission regulations and increased power and torque is well within the design limits of the engine and transmission and providing your car is serviced at the correct intervals and good quality oil is used there will be no issues at all.'

At present I have no physical evidence to prove what the current bhp and torque is following the mod, however I will look into it further and have the car tested on dyno for current power.

Over the past 2 days I have been running on Tesco 99ron, the results are amazing. Since the mod last week, after covering some miles and changing fuel the differences are phenominal. The car sounds and runs very differently from before.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The APS remap adds a similar HP. They didnt specify you use Tesco but I think they worked on the assumption that anyone with an S5 would be using higher octane fuel anyway.

Personally, I find shell and Tesco are fine but BT Ultimate doesnt run as well. However, it is more important to get fresh fuel and I dont think the local BP does much in the way of Ultimate. Tesco seems to run very well for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DoubleDoom -

I did look into that re-map, but had the following reply from APS:

"Hi Mark,

Stage 1 remap is £500 INC VAT fitted. Gains are approximately +20bhp and +15lbs.ft of torque.

Stage 2 is priced at £1249 INC VAT fitted. Gains are as above but with further improvements in throttle response. "

Which is half the power from the mod that I have had (hopefully). I'm hoping that as an Audi main dealer recommended and passed on the details of, the company I used should be good.

·
Registered
914 Posts
@JimmyZ:

Here in Holland and Germany we have "normal" (which is 91 octan, but almost not available), "euro" (which is 95 octan, most commonly used), Shell V-Power (which is sold as 95, but in fact is 97 octan!), "superplus" (which is 98 octan) and BP/Aral Ultimate (which is sold as 98, but in fact is 100 octan).

Whenever possible I use BP/Aral Ultimate, and the engine is much more responsive and fuel economics is about 50 kilometers more with a full tank!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hmmm, an 11% power gain and a 9-10% torque uplift via a re-map on a nat-asp engine already in a reasonably high state of tune sounds a little 'optimistic' (and I'm being charitable here).

Any modern engine can benefit from use of a higher octane fuel (although the many (UK) tests to this end have shown that different fuels produce varying results in different engines - there doesn't seem to be a clear 'Brand XYZ is best - period' conclusion. In fact, some engines were negatively affected by use of a higher-octane diet.

What was consistent across all the tests though was that rarely did the 'before' dyno figures correlate with the manufacturers' claims - some cars had extra ponies, some had lost some (I seem to remember by as much as 10% or so).

With this in mind, re-map figures, claimed or actual (dyno results), are more about making us feel comfortable with our outlay than a realistic yardstick. Unless a car's output is measured before and after, on the same day and same fuel diet, none of us will ever really know if we got and extra 20 or an extra 40 bhp. And consider also that dyno-testing is a bit of a dark science - the same car will produce two totally different readings on two separate dynos, depending on how the various algorithms pertaining to transmission losses, etc, were derived.

In the absence of a benchmark, it boils down to how the car feels afterwards. You could argue that the more you've spent, the better the car feels! E.g., once I've spent 10% more on a tank of T99 than the poverty-spec stuff, it had damn well better make my car go a hell of a lot faster! - oh, and guess what? It does!

·
Registered
750 Posts
...Audi main dealer recommended...
:confused: I was under the impression that a remap is generally frowned upon by manufacturers so, I am surprised that the dealer volunteered the info. You're pretty lucky. I'd love to see a dyno! I wish we had a local place to do that kind of mod.

Enjoy that mod.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your help and advice with the fuel etc. Running on the T99 seems to do the trick quite nicely :D

I have questioned the mod with Torquingbhp, their reponse:

"The difference between our remaps and most others is that we write all our code in-house as opposed to buying in 3rd party software. There are benefits for retailers in offering “staged” tuning packages as the gains offered go up incrementally with each modification, this makes it easier to sell mechanical modifications such as exhausts etc.

If you consider that on the old 2.0 20 valve non-turbo VAG engine we could easily gain an extra 15bhp from a remap alone, a 20bhp gain on the S5 engine is either code that has not been fully optimised or deliberately dumbed down."

It would be nice to get it on a rolling road or dyno to find out what the current outputs are but I do take on board your comments about the inaccurate measurements and the before and after tests.

I guess that if I had the results and they weren't in line with what I have been sold there may be a case to argue, all I know is that since the mod the performance has definately improved, considerably.

Would it be possible to hire a rolling road for the Norolk meet if anybody else is interested? 6th September?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did contact Clive last week, he has quoted £55 + VAT for a single car, however it could be hired out for part or a full day, in which case any number(time permitting) of cars could be tested, which seems very reasonable.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.