Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions and need some "groupthink"

1. If my car went into production on 3/14 do you think it'll be an '08 or an '09?

2. Is my thinking flawed that I want an '08? My logic is that the S5 is going to be a true "classic" and isn't it way better to own the inaugural year?

3. And finally, what is the economic value of: a) getting an '08 instead of an '09 (assuming my logic is valid), plus; b) having slipped into a spot in the queue on 3/10, which was originally ordered on 10/29/07, and which was released to production on 3/14, and which is scheduled to arrive at the dealer on 7/7?

The reason I ask #3 is because I know I'm going to end up paying a premium to keep this spot. Dealer wants $5K and I'm sure I can negotiate that down, but doubt I can get it to $0.... At what $ level should I walk? At what $ level should I buy? This is really an ego and emotional issue - I could afford the extra $5K if I had to.

Looking forward to your input! :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
3a) The higher the model year, the higher the resale value. A 2009 will be worth more on paper than a 2008. The drawback is that you have to wait a few months longer.

The general consensus is that you shouldn't be paying a premium over the MSRP because most folks didn't have to.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Never pay over MSRP :(

It's sad that dealers are being like that, they already have a profit AT MSRP.

·
Registered
151 Posts
First, yes, dont pay over MSRP. Take a look at my spreadsheet and you'll see that most people are getting discounts.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pabJfKBTupkm7RHi6xUbceA

Second, the calculus on whether 08 or 09 is a better buy is tricky. You have a valid point about the initial year production, but I personally tend to doubt that this will really matter over the short run, and over the long term, it might, but you cant really say for sure this becomes a collector car, which is what I think you are implying. Also, do you plan to keep it 20 years?

That said, the other issue that you can't overlook, is that the 09s are going to get a price increase. So, if someone wants an S5, they'll soon have to pay quite a bit more for a new one. Minimum Ive heard is $3K. Now, since the cars are basically the same (yes, some minor differences, but nothing that makes the 08 wholly inferior to the 09) 08 buyers gain resale value due to the 09 markup. For example - imagine the 09 went up 8000? Think about what a new buyer would face? People could probably get more on resale of their 08 than they actually paid originally? So, it is going to depend on how much the 09 price increase is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Other thoughts:

Many people avoid the first model year on a new car line due to bugs and other things that manufacturers inevitably have to work out through the year.

Even if the S5 becomes a classic as the original coupe did, you're still only talking a minimum return on your investment, it's actually more like not as horrible a depreciation as usual.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive noticed that the initially built S5's had various problems...seat rails, rattles here and there, drains on sunroof, etc. Also, the infamous door lock wont work problem. But later produced 08s seem likely to have much of this resolved. Typically, when issues like this come up in bulk, word gets back to the manufacture so that they dont keep repeating the same problem.

We'll see though...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hope you're not dealing with Royal Motors in San Francisco. They are the worst audi dealership in the Bay area. I've had much better experiences with Rector in Burlingame and Carlsen in Palo Alto. From my reading forums on the internet your dealership sounds like the only one in the country that is trying to charge a premium over MSRP. I would tell them to go to hell. It's true that in California it's harder to get discounts so MSRP is the most you should pay.

Yeah if possible an 09 would be better for resale as it will appear newer on paper if decide to sell it a few years from now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't believe some dealers are trying to rip people off like that. $5k for a spot? Crazy. I'm surprised AoA isn't threatening penalties for dealerships who are auctioning off allocations spots like this (especially since it's just the dealer that pockets the money, not Audi).

I'm sure there are quite a few Audi dealers in the Bay area -- go spend your money elsewhere. If you call around to various dealers in California (it's a big state with a lot of money... you can always buy from So Cal dealers too), my guess is you can find an available S5 without paying more than MSRP if you want it immediately.

As for 09/08, there are pros and cons. 08 gets you the car sooner and will probably be cheaper than the 09. But 09 might have some (very minor) improvements and will be worth more if you decide to sell the car later. FYI, my 08 was delivered at the end of January and I have had zero problems, so I wouldn't worry about that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a few questions and need some "groupthink"

1. If my car went into production on 3/14 do you think it'll be an '08 or an '09?

2. Is my thinking flawed that I want an '08? My logic is that the S5 is going to be a true "classic" and isn't it way better to own the inaugural year?

3. And finally, what is the economic value of: a) getting an '08 instead of an '09 (assuming my logic is valid), plus; b) having slipped into a spot in the queue on 3/10, which was originally ordered on 10/29/07, and which was released to production on 3/14, and which is scheduled to arrive at the dealer on 7/7?

The reason I ask #3 is because I know I'm going to end up paying a premium to keep this spot. Dealer wants $5K and I'm sure I can negotiate that down, but doubt I can get it to $0.... At what $ level should I walk? At what $ level should I buy? This is really an ego and emotional issue - I could afford the extra $5K if I had to.

Looking forward to your input! :p

Bad news pal, "inaugural year" was 2007:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really?? That's good input Balikoti, cause it definitely impacts my decision. Thanks. I know the car debuted at the 2007 Geneva Motor Show and that they went on sale in the US in Fall, 2007, but I thought those were still all "2008" models? That's not right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts