Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have been lurking around these forums forever and finally pulled the trigger on the A5.

I recently had my A5 delivered (6/3/2009) to my house in Dallas from a dealership in Arizona and had a few questions about dealer tags, registration, insurance and stuff.

So the car came with the 90 day dealer tags, but the car has no Texas Registration or Inspection.....obviously so.

1. What exactly does the 90 day tags buy me?

2. Am I allowed to drive on Texas roads even though I dont have insurance on the new car yet? I have full coverage on my old vehicle, which I still have, would that cover me for some sort of grace period while I shop around prices, get inspection and get registered?

3. What order events do I need to go through to get the car registered?

Insurance coverage >>> State Inspection >>> Registration/Taxes?

Or can it be in some other order? I wasn't sure if I had to have the State Inspection to get registered or if I had to be registered to get the state inspection?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had a similar situation when my car came from Maine here are your questions:

1. What exactly does the 90 day tags buy me?

not much, since they are out-of-state...typically, the police and highway patrol will let it slide for a while, but you'll need to get the real registration soon.

2. Am I allowed to drive on Texas roads even though I dont have insurance on the new car yet? I have full coverage on my old vehicle, which I still have, would that cover me for some sort of grace period while I shop around prices, get inspection and get registered?

It is actually illegal to drive an uninsured car in Texas, so you need to call your insurance company asap. There is no grace period, or "roll over" from your previous car.

3. What order events do I need to go through to get the car registered?

Insurance coverage >>> State Inspection >>> Registration/Taxes?

That's the right order.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts