Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I am getting a new 360 Forged Split Seven wheels, and I was wondering what tire size would fit best on my 08 A5 (no lowerings, just regular suspension at this moment).

This is the wheel size: 20x9.5. I checked several tire websites, all of them recommend me to use 265/30/20. However, the problem is there is not that many reputable tire manufacturers that produce tires in this specific size. I was thinking instead to use a 255/30/20. However, I don't know exactly if this will be okay for my car. The only thing I know is that a TireRack dealer does not recommend this for me as he mentioned about load ratings and comfort etc.

Does anyone here have experience putting 255/30/20 on 20x9.5 wheels? I would appreciate if you can share your thoughts on this. As far as tire goes, I am considering either a Nitto invo 255/30/20 or a General Exclaim UHP 265/30/20.

I would really appreciate your comments / thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

-Al-

·
Registered
432 Posts
You'll get a better overall ride and look from a 275/30/20. Why aren't you considering this tire size? There are lots of folks around here are running these including myself. You don't need to worry about clearance, these cars have enough room to clear a 285 in the front and as much as a 315 in the rear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOO I c. I didnt consider this size at all previously. The thing is that I tried calculating the fitment, and because my stock A5 wheel is a 18", this new 275/30 setting would cause the rolling diameter to differ by more than 3% which is not recommended. Hmmm.. are you running a 275/30 on a 20x9.5"?

·
Registered
432 Posts
My wheels are actually 20x10, but the 20x9.5 is the perfect size for a 275 tire. Yes, the overall diameter is a slightly larger than stock, so your speedo and odometer will read lower than actual, but it isn't much. You should be ok with this setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, thanks for your comment. I was wondering, will my car look really bad if I opted to use 275/30/20 without lowering the car? My understanding is 275 tire will be larger than 255 or 265. Therefore the overall height of my ride will be increased. What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You'll get a better overall ride and look from a 275/30/20. Why aren't you considering this tire size? There are lots of folks around here are running these including myself. You don't need to worry about clearance, these cars have enough room to clear a 285 in the front and as much as a 315 in the rear.
+1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stratdan, thank you for the picture. Is that a picture of your car? Oh by the way, do you have more pictures of it? Can you comment on noise, ride quality etc?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are a couple more at this post: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/20-dpe-s7-6460/index.html

Keep in mind I do have an Sline so mine may be a bit lower than yours to start. I have only had them on for a week and I went from the 19". I have not noticed much difference in ride quality. There is a slight bit more noise but these tires were used (6000 miles) so I expected that coming from a tire with only 2000 miles on it. I think you should seriously consider this size tire with you wheels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I have no option but to lower my A5 car if I go with that setup... Does anyone else have an unlowered A5 with a 20" wheel?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Unlowered S5

Yes, it looks high next to a lowered car but on it's own it looks and feels good.

I'm running 275/35/20's on 20"x9.5" wheels and 15mm spacers all round.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my gosh...275/35? Aint that gonna be a little too big in terms of the rolling diameter? According to my calculation the rolling diameter is like 6" more.. which translates to 7% difference in speedometer. Correct me if I am wrong, but I've read somewhere that maintaining more than 3% difference is not good... Oh and also, A5 and S5 have different starting heights right?

Hmm anyways, your car looks damn nice, and yes I complete agree with you that if you compare with a lowered one, it seems high. Otherwise, I won't complain with the look...

Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Oh my gosh...275/35? Aint that gonna be a little too big in terms of the rolling diameter? According to my calculation the rolling diameter is like 6" more.. which translates to 7% difference in speedometer. Correct me if I am wrong, but I've read somewhere that maintaining more than 3% difference is not good... Oh and also, A5 and S5 have different starting heights right?

Hmm anyways, your car looks damn nice, and yes I complete agree with you that if you compare with a lowered one, it seems high. Otherwise, I won't complain with the look...

Thanks!
Yeah, the tyres were "free" with the wheels so I couldn't refuse. When they wear out, I'll replace with 285/25/20 and install 1" lower springs.

Difference in circumference: 123.77mm (4.87") or 5.96%. So when the speedo reads 70mph, I'm actually travelling at 74.17mph.

I made myself a small table, which I carry in the car with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh sorry, I was referring to that particular set compared to my A5, which has 18" diameter by standard. I guess installing 275/35 is out of question for me... lol..

·
Registered
39 Posts
guys have a s- line 20/9 in the front 255/30/20 20/10'5 in the back 295/25/20 do you this think this setup will work?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, it looks high next to a lowered car but on it's own it looks and feels good.

I'm running 275/35/20's on 20"x9.5" wheels and 15mm spacers all round.

So u use 9,5" wide wheels on all 4 ? My Dealer say I cant use over 9"
well I read u use spacer 15mm So if I do that I can have wider wheels, right?

sorry for my bad english :no:

Thanx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts