Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being a parent changes your priorities a bit so after getting the S5 on Fri getting the 1" drop, wheel spacers, Milltek exhaust, etc.. is the last on the this and Evan is priority one! For all those S5 owners and potential owners, here is justification toward the WIF - Wife Influencing Factor that the S5 is child seat friendly.

Over the weekend, I spent mt time in search for the child seat mod - that is, a reputable baby seat that fits into the rear seats both forward and rear facing that has offers 120% protection for the little one. After trying the Britax, Sunshine Kids, Graco, etc...the Recaro Signo fits perfectly forward and back and looks great in the S5.

US law saids that a infant must be 20lbs and 1 yr before they can be forward facing. However, the safest is to have your infant REAR FACING AS LONG AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE! I did the research and Evan will be rear facing and there lies the problem. Most convertibles have a bad rear facing footprint because you need to tilt the seat at least 40 degrees which makes the back of the child seat push into the front seats. Most convertibles will require you the move the front seats forward. That's acceptable on the passenger side granted no one is sitting there but I wanted Evan in the center where he is most protected and I did not want to alter my driving position.

I am 6.1" and 180 lbs so my seat is further back than the typical person and surprisingly the Signo fits rear facing in the center with a couple of inches to spare. We took a hour ride int the S5 and my wife can even sit in the back with him and she is 5.8. The signo fits b/c is has a reclining feature that pivots (forward and back) at the base vs. others that just tilt back when rear facing (coincidently, Recaro is the only convertible that reclines). Evan's seat is now technically safer than mine being in the center of the car with side impact head protection and a kick butt 5 point harness - NICE!

However, and there always are some...its a pain to get him in/out of the car seat but its like that for most convertibles in the rear facing position which is the distance or lack thereof between the sides of the car seat to the back of the rear seats. In the forward facing position it can't look better and his view of the road rushing by is awesome. I can't wait for him to appreciate the RUSH of the S5. I joke with my wife saying that this will be his car when he turns 16 (he is 8 months) :D

PS: We have a the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio infant carrier as well and that fits once inside but getting it in/out requires you to adjust the seat all the way forward. I use the passenger side then use the seat symmetry function to sync the seat with mine - you gotta love that feature!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
wow, thanks for this.. currently we use the britax decathalon in both of our vehicles, but will be adding a new person to the mix in august.. thankfully we'll have the Q7 full-time until about 8-9 months at which point our oldest will hopefully be in a booster seat, so i'll be looking to fit both a booster seat and a rear-facing seat in the back of the S5.. the rear-facing will go behind the passenger, i suppose.. thankfully i'll only need to use this in emergencies in getting the kids to-from school once in a while, but still, the possibility needs to be there.. as soon as the youngest flips around it'll be a lot easier to manage, i hope..

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Great info, Dave, but do you guys not get ISOFIX seats on that side of the pond? One of the main selling points for my wife was the standard ISOFIX on all 3 seats available (front passenger and both rear seats) although not on the centre rear. Is this a Europe only thing?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Donno about the Euro as I am from PA, ISOFIX aka LATCH as it is known in the US is on both of the rear seats but I did not look in the front passenger. I figured out that you can place the car seat in the center by using each one of the LATCH hooks on each side.

The rear center console is layed out in such a way that the car sat is very stable and when you tighen the straps "forget about it" (aka no worries). In fact, I think it fits better in the center b/c the rear seats actually bucket whereas the center is nice and flat. Just make sure you place a seat protector as cars seats will destory the leather but I am sure you already know this :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
LATCH is prominently obvious in the back seats, but i honestly didn't bother to check the front.. here in this part of the US it's actually illegal to sit in the front seat if you're under the age of 40, so for me it's not really a concern - the bairns have to ride in the back for a while..

the recommendations are to keep children rear-facing as long as possible for safety reasons they flip-flop on every 5 years or so.. i remember vividly being loose in the family station wagon back in 1978, jumping from the back seat into the 'back back' as i called it, while in motion.. anyhow, i'm all for safety.. the problems we face are that these car seats aren't exactly compact - even in our Q7 with the britax decathalon behind the driver seat my 2yr old's legs are constantly kicking the crap out of me.. it actually fits fine in the S5 behind me, with the unfortunate problem of my son being able to reach the upper seat adjustment buttons, but it's do-able.. one big obstacle is the headrest, which gets in the way of the top of the car seat.. is this a problem with the recaro facing foreward, dave?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is this a problem with the recaro facing foreward, dave?
Donno as I have not tried to put this behind the front seats. Guess it probably will as the top of the seat is at the same height as the headrests. In my buddy's 335 (he also has a 8 month year old) it hits the headrest (the 335 has a center headrest). I think this is a standard problem with all car seats not just b/c of our cars. I read in other fourms people taking about how to remove the rear headrests.

That said, does anyone know it the rear headrest can be removed?

I also think that it hits a head rest more b/c of the way to seats bucket which makes the entire carseat angle back. I only have 1 kid right now so I place him in the middle. When we have another I will need to reevaluate the situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Dave

I'm expecting my first kid in Feb 10 and thanks to your excellent writeup on the signo2, I was almost 100% sold to get that for my S5. My question is - do you miss not having those detachable infant carriers that could be transferred from your stroller to the car seat? Considering how small the infant is going to be, is it easier to move the baby around whilst in the carrier than lifting him out and buckling him to the car seat? Because of this, I'm considering a Maxi-Cosi Cabrio Fix for the car so that the carrier can either fit into my Bugaboo or Quinny stroller.....any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts