Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I back up, I usually let the clutch out just enough to get the car going and then put it into neutral (clutch out), drifting as far as I need to (especially backing out of my garage/driveway which goes down hill a bit). Otherwise, I am moving backwards faster than I really want to (I rarely find myself backing up any great distances). I have noticed that my back up camera stays on until I start moving forward again, but the rear sensors only funtion when the gear shift is in the reverse position. This puts me in a situation where I can't rely on feedback from the sensors. Is this how everybody's rear sensors work, and I wonder if it is alterable via vag com. Aerodave to the rescue!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
That's how mine works, too. So that's normal behavior.

I definitely don't of any documented ability to change that. And I'm not ver confident that you could, but maybe we'll discover a way one day. Most things like that which are eaisly changed are those things where different models, option packages, or countries have different features turned on or off. If everyone in the world has the same behavior, that's most often something that isn't available for changing in software.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
think they stay on for parking plus but not parking advanced (with camera)
I am hoping your wrong Vin, but then again, if those without the camera can do it, seems like software may still be involved. Hopefully others will chime in here, and the GURU (aerodave) can find a fix for us. If this can be altered via vag-com, me thinks this will be a future purchase. Rab88, do you have parking plus or advanced?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I am hoping your wrong Vin, but then again, if those without the camera can do it, seems like software may still be involved. Hopefully others will chime in here, and the GURU (aerodave) can find a fix for us. If this can be altered via vag-com, me thinks this will be a future purchase. Rab88, do you have parking plus or advanced?
Parking Plus. Someone in the UK with Advanced should have a check.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Great issue spotting, Doc. I have the exact same problem. I'd be grinding my reverse gear (holding the clutch half-way, I mean) a good bit if I didn't just throw it into neutral. I don't need that much rear oomph and travel a while in neutral as well. Hope this is indeed a VAG COM thing at some point.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't know how long your driveway is, but is it going to hurt the throwout bearing that much to just leave the shifter in reverse and clutch depressed?
Obviously if you take 20 seconds to get down your driveway, then I understand your concern, but I am pretty sure that leaving the clutch depressed for less than 10 seconds once or twice a day isn't going to do much, if any, damage.

Not that a VAG-COM reprogram to leave the sensors enabled as long as the camera is displayed wouldn't be nice...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't know how long your driveway is, but is it going to hurt the throwout bearing that much to just leave the shifter in reverse and clutch depressed?
Obviously if you take 20 seconds to get down your driveway, then I understand your concern, but I am pretty sure that leaving the clutch depressed for less than 10 seconds once or twice a day isn't going to do much, if any, damage.

Not that a VAG-COM reprogram to leave the sensors enabled as long as the camera is displayed wouldn't be nice...
NOt very long so likely its not a big deal to hold in the clutch, but old habits are hard to kill, and when the inlaws are in town visiting and I am called in in the middle of the night while on call (tired and in a hurry) its hard to get away from your old tricks. It would be nice if the sensor beeped despite being in neutral to avoid repeating an unfortunate mishap of about 2 years ago (yes, I hit my inlaws car at 2 am). Then again I like this car a lot more than my last one and am a tad more careful. Nonetheless, let's all start the cheer - LETS GO DAVE LETS GO DAVE LETS GO DAVE...............Houseofg and I, as well as many others I am sure, are counting on you!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, you're raising your own bar, dave!

Heck, doc, I almost regretted not having the beep today! Damn high schoolers parking across from my driveway....
That would definitely be worse than hitting the in-laws car! This is something that really needs to be addressed, either by our hero (thats right Dave, no pressure here) or by Audi themselves. When I bought this car, this feature was one of the absolute priorities (I have a lot of little ones in my neighborhood as well).

·
Registered
435 Posts
@doc7string:
So you want it to be that any time the car is rolling backwards it should be beeping. What about at a stop light? Where does it end? Wouldn't it need to be active when you are not moving and in neutral then as well, so you don't drift back into another car. That would make every stop sign an annoying beeping fiasco.

I understand what you want, but the feature was designed a convenience when you are backing up. If you were driving an automatic, would you have put the car to neutral as well? Something tells me no. Our cars only know when you are backing up when you have the car the shifter in reverse.

Sadly, end of story.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
@doc7string:
So you want it to be that any time the car is rolling backwards it should be beeping. What about at a stop light? Where does it end? Wouldn't it need to be active when you are not moving and in neutral then as well, so you don't drift back into another car. That would make every stop sign an annoying beeping fiasco.

I understand what you want, but the feature was designed a convenience when you are backing up. If you were driving an automatic, would you have put the car to neutral as well? Something tells me no. Our cars only know when you are backing up when you have the car the shifter in reverse.

Sadly, end of story.
The camera doesn't get activated unless the car is put in reverse, and is deactivated after reaching 10 mph going forward. It does not activate when you drift backward on a hill while in 1st gear. The beep should do the same. If only activated by placing the gear shift in reverse, and deactivated by going forward 10 mph, like the camera, stop signs, hills etc would not be a problem! So really, not end of story.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.