Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my ex demo A5 (simply couldn't wait for a new one - got not patience!!), I'm after an after market DVD solution to keep the kiddies free, I've got one that goes on a mount strapped round the headrest but wanted something a bit more elegant....I fancied the Audi version that has the brackets etc but apparently it's not compatible with the A5 so now I'm thinking roof mounted system.......snyone any ideas?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my ex demo A5 (simply couldn't wait for a new one - got not patience!!), I'm after an after market DVD solution to keep the kiddies free, I've got one that goes on a mount strapped round the headrest but wanted something a bit more elegant....I fancied the Audi version that has the brackets etc but apparently it's not compatible with the A5 so now I'm thinking roof mounted system.......snyone any ideas?
Actually, the same system that is available for Q7 from Audi is compatible with A5. Might need different parts slightly, but it is detailed in the German (at least) A5 repair manual by Audi. If you want to research this option, that is. I haven't seen any retrofit kits yet, but it looks the same as the Q7 kit in that three holes go into the back of the front seats, two to hold the Audi DVD unit and one for power. It might even use the same parts as Q7, who knows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Hi loc,

Thanks for that I'll have a word in the dealers shell and see what can be achieved with reference to the German manual thingy....fingers x'd.

Cheers,

James.

p.s - Anyone know if it's a good system A4/Q7 owners out there (could be long shot on an A5 forum :) )

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm getting a DVD player plugged into the AUX socket on the MMI and intend to use the MMI screen which isnt bad for those in the rear seats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another Option

Thanks, sounds like a viable altenative, assuming the Nav will still work via the little in dash arrows and voice whilst the DVD is being watched or is it one or the other?

Cheers,

James.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks, sounds like a viable altenative, assuming the Nav will still work via the little in dash arrows and voice whilst the DVD is being watched or is it one or the other?
I have no reason to believe NAV and video aux in (or TV mode) would not work at the same time. I am sure they will work at the same time, I see no reason why they wouldn't. But unless your car has the Audi TV module, you need to retrofit a solution for connecting video devices to the car (and even if you have a TV module you need to connect an aux-cable to it in the trunk to able to connect a composite video cable to it).

The process is discussed here:

Notes on retrofitting TV module Audi A6/Q7/A8 (same for A5 with navi)
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a6tvmodule.html

There are also some after-market solutions that hijack the entire MMI screen for external video, if you want to research those.

Personally I'd go for the Audio rear-seat DVD if you just can get your dealer to co-operate. I see no reason why A5 couldn't be fitted with the system, it is a simple retrofit and the repair manual clearly shows that A5 (unless some model-year differences, manual was for model-year 2009) has the necessary place in the seat structure for the holder and routing 12V power to the back of the seat shouldn't be a problem at all... Probably the most demanding part is making the holes to the seat covers and fitting the plugs.

This is what the plugs that go to the seat backs look like (the beauty of the plugs is that the DVD player/screen can be removed at any time leaving only these plugs in the back of the seat):

Here is the player (one can install one or two), there is also a separate holder for it:

Here is the system in action in a Q7:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Preffered Option..

Thanks loc, I'll drop in next time I'm passing Preston Audi, ideally I'd have liked a system fitted that has the screen 'embedded' in the headrest but can't seem to find anything that's going to do the job - this is the next best option, I currently have a nextbase DVD that straps on round the headrest and leaves the 12V cable running of all over the place, so the Audi, removable one is the next best thing and a much tidier solution, plus now there's two kids to cater for with a 6 yr age gap 1 screen isn't going to cut it!

Cheers,

James.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Nav works fine with the main MMI switched to something different. I frequently have the TV on sky sports or BBC News24 when driving with the nav on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.