Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this car doesnt have a rear fog like my rs6 had and a6 avant has, Just wondering where audi put them and if i can do a retro like i did on my vw.

I notice on the N/a light switch theres a blank button under the front fogs, i assume this is for rear fogs, can anyone confirm this? Also can anyone get pics of the rear fogs in action id like to see where its are placed in the back.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Indeed, the rear fog switch is mounted directly underneath the fron fog switch next to the main lights selector. They are mandatory in the UK, hence why they are fitted. No pics for the moment though... Panic not, TXCarguy will be along shortly, with some photos I'm sure... and his trunks on outside his nylons.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No pics for the moment though... Panic not, TXCarguy will be along shortly, with some photos I'm sure... and his trunks on outside his nylons.
Sorry to disappoint. But would you believe I have never run across a pic of an A5/S5 with the rear fogs? Shocking, I know! :eek:

BTW Ian, you lost me on the "trunks on outside his nylons" statement. :confused: (Must be a British thing?)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Matty,
Quite surprised your car doesn't have rear fogs as I would have thought they would be required in the US as they are in the UK, but I'm not familiar with the requirements that side of the pond.

Anyway, I've just posted about fitting my new Hoen white front fog bulbs, so took some pics of the rear with the lights on and the fogs both on and off. Also took a pic of the light switch on the dash to show the rear fog light switch - it's the one with the orange lamp on. The fronts have a green lamp when you select them on.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah, I had heard that the US A5s don't have rear fogs installed. This seems somewhat unusual when compared to a lot of late-model Audis. But since the inclusion of that feature hasn't followed any rhyme or reason in recent years, I'm not surprised.

I added a rear fog and euroswitch to my '97 Jetta. I even wired up the dash indicator for the rear light because, you know, one indicator light just isn't enough. ;) It was an easy mod on that car, the only real expense was the switch. I might do something similar on my A5, if it turns out to be a simple fix.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Matty,
Quite surprised your car doesn't have rear fogs as I would have thought they would be required in the US as they are in the UK, but I'm not familiar with the requirements that side of the pond.
Two rear fogs, eh? I figured there would only be the one on the driver's side. Do you have any insight in to the Euro/UK regulations on that?

And no, they're not required in the US. Most people here don't even know they exist. In fact, some local jurisdictions may think they're illegal. I got pulled over once for my rear fog light, because the cop thought I had a malfunctioning brake light. I had to show him how it worked with the switch, and explain the theory of the one-sided bright light before he understood and let me on my way. Not that I was in any danger of getting an enforceable ticket, but it still caused me a hassle. When normal folks ask about it, I see it an as opportunity to educate. People just love a know-it-all.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Sorry to disappoint. But would you believe I have never run across a pic of an A5/S5 with the rear fogs? Shocking, I know! :eek:

BTW Ian, you lost me on the "trunks on outside his nylons" statement. :confused: (Must be a British thing?)
'
Sorry, it's a reference to superman, who wears his trunks outside his nylons! TXCarguy saves the day!

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Yeah, I had heard that the US A5s don't have rear fogs installed. This seems somewhat unusual when compared to a lot of late-model Audis.
Heck, compared to my '96 A4 it's unusual! Not that I ever use it. And, yes, people don't know what the heck they are here. I wouldn't either if it weren't for my travels to Europe.

'
Sorry, it's a reference to superman, who wears his trunks outside his nylons! TXCarguy saves the day!
Okay - thought you knew something about his predilections that we didn't! ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Two rear fogs, eh? I figured there would only be the one on the driver's side. Do you have any insight in to the Euro/UK regulations on that?

And no, they're not required in the US. Most people here don't even know they exist. In fact, some local jurisdictions may think they're illegal. I got pulled over once for my rear fog light, because the cop thought I had a malfunctioning brake light. I had to show him how it worked with the switch, and explain the theory of the one-sided bright light before he understood and let me on my way. Not that I was in any danger of getting an enforceable ticket, but it still caused me a hassle. When normal folks ask about it, I see it an as opportunity to educate. People just love a know-it-all.
I'm afraid I'm not sure what the UK regulations say about 1 vs 2 rear fogs, but most new cars these days seem to come with 2, although some smaller city cars (built to more of a budget) only come with one. Same goes for reversing lights - the A5 has 2, just above the rear fogs. Some small cars will have a rear fog on one side and a reversing light on the other in the same position - it can look a bit odd though.

Unfortunately in the UK, the one thing that should be in the regulations (but I don't think is) is that the rear fogs should automatically turn off when the engine is stopped. This is what happens in the A5 (and indeed my old S4 did the same) however it's amazing how many people you see driving around with rear fogs on when there's no fog to be seen. It's pretty dangerous actually, especially in the rain as it makes brake lights almost impossible to see if you've got spray/rain on your windscreen and you're following someone with fogs left on.

·
Registered
677 Posts
No rear fogs in the US for S5 or A5's. Personally I hate most of the fog lights put on cars. (front or rear) Here people run there fog lights to look cool. Most are not designed to throw a proper beam pattern or color (should be yellow) and cause more white out than vision. Also a lot of the european cars that have fogs link the fronts and rears. I see plenty of cars driving around on a bright sunny day with the front and rear fogs blazing away blinding people.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hmm do u think they nexttime one of you guys is at the dealer u could get me a quote on a switch?
Couldn't you just call the Parts Dept. at your local dealer and have them provide that info to you over the phone?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
No rear fogs in the US for S5 or A5's. Personally I hate most of the fog lights put on cars. (front or rear) Here people run there fog lights to look cool. Most are not designed to throw a proper beam pattern or color (should be yellow) and cause more white out than vision. Also a lot of the european cars that have fogs link the fronts and rears. I see plenty of cars driving around on a bright sunny day with the front and rear fogs blazing away blinding people.
I have to say i've never seen a car which has the front and rear fogs linked.

Regarding Uk fog lamp regulations, we're only required to have one fog lamp. But I think manufacturers are just deciding to put two on the cars for the symmetry.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_16.htm

Who knows if there are EU regs which override that though.

I'm surprised though that fog lamps aren't used in the USA. Standard tale lights really aren't enough in some foggy conditions.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm afraid I'm not sure what the UK regulations say about 1 vs 2 rear fogs, but most new cars these days seem to come with 2, although some smaller city cars (built to more of a budget) only come with one. Same goes for reversing lights - the A5 has 2, just above the rear fogs. Some small cars will have a rear fog on one side and a reversing light on the other in the same position - it can look a bit odd though.

Unfortunately in the UK, the one thing that should be in the regulations (but I don't think is) is that the rear fogs should automatically turn off when the engine is stopped. This is what happens in the A5 (and indeed my old S4 did the same) however it's amazing how many people you see driving around with rear fogs on when there's no fog to be seen. It's pretty dangerous actually, especially in the rain as it makes brake lights almost impossible to see if you've got spray/rain on your windscreen and you're following someone with fogs left on.
'
I agree, that it is really annoying when fog lights are used incorrectly... However, it IS a traffic offence to use front or rear fogs when there is no fog. The offence carries 3 penalty points and a statutory fine. This is rarely enforced however, as 'the powers that be' have decided to do away with policemen and provide handy speed cameras instead. Which are of course completely incapable of catching the dangerous drivers who drive too close to other cars, weave through traffic, use mobile phones and ignore traffic lights and road markings.

As for the regulation... you only have to have the off-side (driver's side) fog light, however you will fail an MOT if you have a nearside light too and it is not working... go figure!

·
Registered
907 Posts
'
I agree, that it is really annoying when fog lights are used incorrectly... However, it IS a traffic offence to use front or rear fogs when there is no fog. The offence carries 3 penalty points and a statutory fine. This is rarely enforced however, as 'the powers that be' have decided to do away with policemen and provide handy speed cameras instead. Which are of course completely incapable of catching the dangerous drivers who drive too close to other cars, weave through traffic, use mobile phones and ignore traffic lights and road markings.

As for the regulation... you only have to have the off-side (driver's side) fog light, however you will fail an MOT if you have a nearside light too and it is not working... go figure!
On my S4 you used to pull the switch out for fog lights. So the first huing I tried before I realised the switches were separate is to pull the S5 swith out. It dosn't move out, but it does move in.Who knows what happens when you push the light switch in?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Has anyone (in the UK) noticed how it is nearly impossible to see the warning light on the switch for the fogs to tell if they're on or not, it is in the worst position ever........IMO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.