26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all have a 3:0 tdi a5

I knew when I brought it the mpg would be much different to my ex 2.0 golf

Trouble is I’m not getting an consistency

The trip computer shows approx 30mpg which I can accept

The trouble is in the real world it’s nowhere near that

The car has no faults can’t see any leaks and has been serviced regular

I lost 40 mile range just doing 20 miles today and like I say says 30mpg for the journey

I filled up 12 gallons id be happy enough with the 330 odd miles but I’d be lucky if I get to 250

Any idea if this is specific to audis in general

It doesn’t seem to matter how low revs I drive either

Can’t justify a 20mpg car from moving from a 40mpg easily one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The decrease in range doesn’t slow further down the tank either filled up £20 and the range said 160 was like that would be great

I managed 85miles that’s why I’m getting alarmed

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Monty mate good evening!!! You fret, BUT to find out your real fuel consumption the only way is to fill the car to the brim, press the trip and drive 200 or 250 miles and then repeat the process, fill to the brim and divide the trip reading by the litres or gallons of fuel required to fill er up.

In my experience the range that the car calculates is as reliable as a Fiat. You only need to make one fast acceleration and the range must assume that you will drive like that all of the time, so falls of the edge of a cliff. Where I live I drive from sea level up to a little town which is only 16km away but at about 320 metres above sea level. The range shows me ever less as I climb and then ever more as I return. Crazy.

PS I add some Redex or similar into the fuel tank every few full tanks to keep the injectors clean. May help???

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 2014 S5 but I assume the computer and display is the same

• There are a series of two displays that are on the center dash (don't remember the order or if I have them all ) ave mpg, ave speed, current mpg, distance
  • There is a single fuel range
  • You toggle between the readings via the switch at the end of the right stalk (there is a way to change the center display look but I forget)
  • Of the two displays, one is short term and resets after the car is shut off for a while (4 hrs or more?). The second is long term
  • Each one of the the displays can be reset individually by holding the button on the bottom of the right stalk
  • DO NOT BELIEVE THE FUEL RANGE ON FILL UP. Mine does not begin to start going down until 40-60 miles. I have tracked the range vs how far I have driven and it does not match the odometer. It will start out slow then drop quicker.
  • Your best bet for mpg is to calculate yourself. How much you put in vs how far you have driven.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m aware of that thanks on the way to work it said 350 miles left when I got home it’s dropped to 310 trip says 30.5mpg roughly for both trips

I’ve done 70 miles in 3 days to work I’ve already cleared over a quarter of a tank from full can’t see any leaks at all.

Got a new air temp sensor and will swap the maf I’m not exactly driving it like I stole it either

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The air temp sensor issue is going my head in

Ordered one from Amazon always showed a lot colder then outside

Just fitted a new genuine one from Audi that over reads hot

It’s about 2c at the moment and it’s showing +8c

With every new sensor it seems to be the same amount or degrees out but either minus or plus

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have fitted another new sensor and it seems happier

I cleaned the maf sensor too

Took all covers off to see any fuel leaks haven’t noticed any on the ground but wanted to double check

The car feels a lot better this morning. Seems to glide along easier so don’t have to be so heavy footed

The mpg for the journey was the same but as we know if I could hit that I would be well happy see how it goes in a few days

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all have a 3:0 tdi a5

I knew when I brought it the mpg would be much different to my ex 2.0 golf

Trouble is I’m not getting an consistency

The trip computer shows approx 30mpg which I can accept

The trouble is in the real world it’s nowhere near that

The car has no faults can’t see any leaks and has been serviced regular

I lost 40 mile range just doing 20 miles today and like I say says 30mpg for the journey

I filled up 12 gallons id be happy enough with the 330 odd miles but I’d be lucky if I get to 250

Any idea if this is specific to audis in general

It doesn’t seem to matter how low revs I drive either

Can’t justify a 20mpg car from moving from a 40mpg easily one

Honestly buddy, just ignore your trip computer. In my experience, most VAG group cars are woefully optimistic in this area, and all suffer from a sudden range drop as the tank empties. I've had any number of VWs (I still have a Transporter T4 camper which is 20 years old, the fuel gauge doesn't move for the first hundred miles, then it's OK for most of the time until it hits about 1/4 full, then it drops like a stone). My A5 is exactly the same. and both my Golfs were. I use to have Volvos before that which were exactly the same.

I'm a bit of a geek and keep detailed records of fuel consumption, using Excel to work out my figures. The actual returns are NEVER anywhere near what the trip is showing. Ever.

After a bit, you'll get an idea of how much you can get out of a tankful and when to fill up. I just usually fill up when the needle touches red, and I brim it every time.

Just for info, I get about 28mpg out of mine on average. I can stretch this up to about 38 - 40 on a long run with lots of motorway (I live in Lancashire and visit friends in Cornwall fairly regularly when the Apocalypse isn't upon us and I've nudged it up to 42mpg once). Since Covid started my average has dropped to about 25mpg but that's because I've been working from home since March so the car only ever gets used for short trips to the shops at the moment. That said I've gone from putting £60 in it every ten days to every six weeks!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice

If I got 30mpg I’d be very happy considering it’s size

I put in 12 gallons and I’m worried that I will need to put loads in to make my 400 mile trip to work for the month

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the long way to work today mix of stop start and 60mpg roads

Trip said 32mpg which I was expecting more tbf

The fuel said 290 when I left and 275 now whole trip 29 miles

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting. On motorway driving, I can get 520mi from brimmed to reserve (20mi range remaining on fill up). That's a '09 3.0tdi with a simple ECU tune up to about 270/280bhp

·
Registered
160 Posts
what age engine is it? what mileage? did you buy it second hand from a dealer or private? Does the acceleration seem really snappy?
I'm thinking that maybe you've got a hugely tuned engine somehow.

As an aside, is there any smell of burnt diesel under the bonnet? like raw diesel fumes?
Are there any signs of a fuel leak when parked on wet ground (oil slick)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't tend to worry about what your Trip1 says and it can fluctuate, especially if you are heavy footed. I have a commute qhich has a mix of roads: Country, single and dual and town averageing about 30-35mph over 45min the journey and trip 1 says around 38mpg for most the time, having said that i like to just chill and try not to get too carried away. But if i fancy giving it a blast once or twice on the commute that can drop to 33mpg, or lower if im feeling really racey. If there is lots of traffic/pre-Covid i can get that also. During the 1st lockdown i saw 42mpg on a few occassions because noone was on the roads!
My Trip 2 however only gets reset every year and like Rudis i keep a record of what i use and my trip said average was 36.1mpg, my records say 36.2mpg! pretty good!
Overall I would say trip by trip not too worry and look more at the long term numbers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts