Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this done yet or a re chip :D would like to know the results and cost, have had this done to previous VW's Subaru and an EVO so am quiet happy with the potential consequences :)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I dont believe anyone on here has done a remap yet.

Would be interesting to hear a review though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Audi dealer offering a remap...

Hi, I had the service manager of my Audi dealer offer me a remap - says he could get it up to around 280bhp.

I wondered about the warranty - he said they (the dealer) would cover anything subsequently excluded from the Audi warranty. Reckon I would need this in writing though - cost around £550.

I did have one question - does anyone have an idea on the effect of any remap on mileage. I know when pushing it it will get worse, but does it stay the same when cruising?

Krytten.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I did have one question - does anyone have an idea on the effect of any remap on mileage. I know when pushing it it will get worse, but does it stay the same when cruising?
Krytten.
When cruzin you shouldn't really see any difference, as the increase in torque means that you wouldn't have to put your foot down as hard to pull away and can leave it in a higher gear more of the time also.

When I had this done to my 1.9TDI A4 (from 130bhp to 170bhp) i found my self changing gears less often and also not having to downshift as often either - the end result keeping cruzing mpg the same. When you put your foot down there is a difference but its not that much, for me I estimated on the motorway driving about a 5mpg difference when pushing the car so not much really. Its worth it for the extra performance.

Also something to be aware of when getting re-maps done, they can be quite different from each other even though you might get the same extra bhp increase. The way its delivered and over what rev range makes a big difference to the end result too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks - yes was aware the remaps are different. I was a 3.2 TT owner and looked into it then, hence the handle (apart from being a Red Dwarf fan). But will check out what/who they use. The key for me is the guarantee. If something goes wrong they are most likely to repair it, so should be easier on the warranty issue with remaps.

The info on mileage is very helpful. Thanks.

Krytten

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do keep us updated. I plan on doing a remap myself (or a tuning chip is probably what we call it here) and it's around 7000 sek för the A5 here in sweden.

But if Audi themselves can do a remap to bump it up to 280 and keep the warranty I'm definetly going that way even if it's a wee more expensive.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nothelle engine upgrades

Hi Johny M,

Nothelle (www.nothelle.com) are also offering remaps/chip for all A5 engines (plus S5). 3.0 Tdi claimed stats are:

3.0 TDI V6, 176 kW (240 bhp) at 4.00-4.400 rpm, 500 Nm at 1.500-3.000 rpm.
Performance enhancement optionally to:
NTB 001 008 N TRONIC BOX: 205 kW (279 bhp); 541 Nm. (also for vehicles with particulate filter).
B8 001 002 LEADER CHIP: 206 kW (280 bhp) at 4.400 rpm.; 580 Nm at 1.500-3.000 rpm. (also for vehicles with particulate filter).
Vmax: 10-15 kph faster than production model; 0-100 kph: 1,0-2,5 sec. faster than production model.
Engine fuel: Diesel.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
WOW! I Like This!!

510 BHP conversion for S5.... (from Nothelle)

4L 001 005 4.2 FSI V8, 260 kW (354 bhp) at 7.000 rpm, 440 Nm at 3.500 rpm.
Performance enhancement to 375 kW (510 bhp); torque enhancement to 555 Nm at 3.500 rpm.
Compressor-Technique. Detailed data will be available soon.

Hooooaaarrrrr! I gotta get me some o' that!! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right it has been quiet a frustrating time most of the turners have nothing for the A5 3.0TDI as it has a new ECU over the old 3.0 TDI 225 bhp that went before. So the only game in town at the moment is MTM through QST (Kim Collins) MTM main agents for the UK and possibly where some of you have been offered this service through your official Audi dealership. ie supplied through Kim Collins.

So the numbers are up from 240ps to 295ps and 500nm of Torque to 585nm of Torque with the fuel consumption unchanged :D Cost of this is £975 + VAT

As I have now passed the magic 1k of miles so should be able to get this carried out in the next week or so, also will be fitting the H&R lowering springs along with the wheel spacers at the same time.

Will report back once it is done and will post up pictures as well:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Would love to hear from you Johny... that's exactly the treatment needed for the ol' oil burner. Have my 3.0Tdi on order and would be dispatching it ASAP to MTM or AMD depending on who has what available...

·
Registered
86 Posts
PS: There is only one worry I have about the MTM product is that the peak torque band has narrowed quite considerably from stock and may make the car less fluid to drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Antrs6 Have phoned AMD they are not shure of what they can offer at present, as I say Kim Collins are the only game in town for the next 6 months. I have spent the last three weeks on the net and phoning the world on this subject:) and getting a big fat 0. The Torque band is still very flat from 1500 rpm with the MTM software the main difference to the car is that it now pulls much more cleanly to the red line as opposed to running out of puff at 4500rpm. I spoke to the man himself (Kim Collins) and he went out in the car after the ECU mod and in his words it's already quick as stock but it turns it into a flying machine with even more torque when you need it:D

The owner also had the H&R lowering springs and wheel spacers fitted and with the 19 inch Y spokes it looked very mean and purposefull.

Just wish the owner had found this site and could post up review and pictures:) It was done on December the 23rd so come on don't be shy in coming forward.

Ps Ant I very nearly bought a 997 911 S second hand before settling on the A5 sport:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the additional notes Johny... It's good to know there are ppl around who not only do the homework but also spread the news, thank you :)

The Y spokes are the only wheel option to tick IMHO and a few extra mm of width in the arch and lowered would help. Any idea of cost on the H&R setup?

The Carrera S is a great car, but todays driving demands and costs make the A5 diesel so much more spot on. I had an S4 cabriolet follow me down a dual carriageway the other day, both of us giving it the beans... and what it confirmed to me was that while the 911 is a quick car, it is not the "whole worlds apart" difference you might expect compared to a powerful saloon/coupe/estate under safe UK motoring possibilities. £75k buys you a lovely Porsche, but £40k buys you a whole heap of performance, looks and economy in a nicely specced A5 diesel... a great car indeed... all I need to do now is wait until March to get my hands on it!

PS: I will miss the handling experience of the 911 though as it is simply ... 911 esque... a great feeling when it comes together through the corners... a little bizzare when it doesn't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
No worries :)

The H&R set up is about £270ish with the wheel spacers that includes VAT but not fitting, The sport model has a drop of 20mmm from the factory the H&R set up drops that another 30/35mm which will get rid of that gap between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the wheel arch. Be careful when you order as the springs and spacers are different for the S5 and A5 and can cause some confusion.

I spent about 6 months on PH (piston Heads) for those that don't know:D on the Porsche forum and got put off by to many story's of output shaft bearings and rear main seal failure that in the end I chickened out:eek: of buying one. The other reason as you say is running costs, but I am shure with a few suttle mods on the A5 we can get plenty of performance with the running costs and re sale value of a diesel happy days.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts