Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Rattles and squeaks.. do you get them??

27K views 74 replies 51 participants last post by  djc206 
#1 ·
When I don't have the stereo turned up.. I really notice the rattles within the car, especially going over bumps in the road.

Trying to locate the noise will driving is difficult, however it appears to come from the back of the car.. around the parcel shelf area.. I appreciate the suspension on the sport models are very stiff, however suprised that a car of this quality would make these noises..very obvious will driving without music on..!

So... anyone else out there have the same issues..? Is you car deadly quiet when driving over pot holes or bumps. Would like a concensus before I waste my time explaining this to the dealership...

Thanks
G

#2 ·
Is you car deadly quiet when driving over pot holes or bumps.
My car is quiet as a mouse when driving over bumps, even with a modified suspension. Sorry to hear that yours is not so quiet. Good luck getting it resolved.

#3 ·
Hmmm, looks like Gio and I may each have 'Friday afternoon' cars. I have an occasional 'zizzz' from the speaker grill on the top of the dash, some other undefined rattles that come and go without driving me to too much distraction (i.e., no match for another notc on the B & O) and more recently, a very irritating squeak where the driver's side seatbelt latch is rubbing into the side of the seat squab. Not sure why it's just started happening but it's p*ssing me off and actually starting to form an indentation on the seat.

Overall though, still light years ahead of my Alfa GT, in which all of the pieces of interior trim hav no more than a passing acquaintance with each other! (But I still love her!)

#6 ·
There is a slider on the belt that isnt very tight and gradually the belt buckle slides further down the belt. Just keep pushing the slide back up

#4 ·
Rattle 'still' from housing around Sat Nav screen, rattle/creak from back seat, speaker buz and squeek from gear shift when changing gear...otherwise quiet :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Hi GIO 1 / Audi owners,

I've got exactly the same problem ! Rear parcel / speaker shelf area :(
Have you managed to find what's causing it ?
I'm phoning the dealer tomorrow, it seems to be getting worse :(
I'd be interested to hear whether you've cured it.

Kind Regards

Hawkeye...........

#7 ·
Vibrations

I have a really annoying vibration from the subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf. Going to get my local dealer to look at it, Otherwise its very quiet

#12 ·
Dealer replaced subwoofer in parcel shelf but managed to break the grill cover. Ordered new grills and complete new shelf. All fitted last week. Guess what the speaker still vibrates. It going back in this week.
I have noticed that the vibration is a lot worse when the weather is cool, eg first thing in the morning :confused:

#14 ·
No squeakes at all, no buzz, but I did find a piece of plastic that is molded and may be some type of decorative cover but not sure where it came from. I'm keeping it for now; could be from either under the dash or under the seat (driver side.)

#16 ·
After 3 weeks, I began getting a loud rattle at the top of the driver's (left) A-pillar when traveling over some road surfaces at 70mph+.

My wife suggests that I obey the speed limit to avoid the problem. :(

I'm going for my first oil change next week so hopefully they can find something. Seems like it has to be the airbag in the A-pillar.

#18 ·
Regarding tne earlier fix my dealer did to fix my vibrating subwoofer. After some weeks without the vibration I played a CD with some hefty bass on it. Sod it the vibration is back. I decided to have a go at fixing it my self. I worked out that if I pulled down on the underside of the shelf then it stopped, so I figured that if I could insert something in between the steel lower shelf and the top part of the shelf it might stop. Eureeka, I inserted very carefully a wooden wedge near to where the vibration was and its stopped :)

#19 ·
Gio, I had what sounds like the same annoying rattle coming from the back. Could hear it when sterio was switched off. Anyway, took it to my local dealer who where brilliant. They basically said that if its annoying me then its not right ! They have had the car for a week trying to determine what it was. They've taken the parcel shelf away etc. They are now replacing the rear shocks as they believe this is where the problem lies. Suggest you just get it in with the dealer and let them sort.

#20 ·
No rattles/squeaks/buzzes.....yet!!

#21 ·
Rattles and Squeks

Great , someone has the same problem as myself , I'am actually waiting to hear a squek, when i drive over a speed ramp. or pothole, its somwhere at the back, I thought a rubber bung was perished at the exhaust, but no ,now its driving me mad, I just increase the radio volume

#25 ·
My drivers side door rattles with just the slightest amount of bass.,

#26 ·
My armrest squeeks all the time and feels kind of delicate... really makes me think twice whenever I have to put some elbow pressure on it. I guess they could had fitted them so as to feel a tad more solid (my mate's 3 series coupe's armrest is embarassingly tight, BTW).

#27 ·
Don't let passengers leave the rear armrest down either... Sounds like my neighbors havin' a romp in the apartment next door.

*Creak Creak Creak*

The door rattle is really bothering me... Any suggestions? I've even got a particular song it vibrates to the most lol.

#29 ·
I have just picked my car up from the dealers after having the S5 in for a return visit (3 days this time) to try and find a number of vibrations/ rattles.

I had 3:

1) intermittent vibration behind the dash (had already been in once and had vent internals replaced, but noise was still there).

2) Vibration from door cards when turing up the stereo with anything slightly bassy (I have B&O)

3) A "clunking" coming from what sounded like under the rear seat (drivers side) when going over bumps.

I picked up the car yesterday and all 3 items have been fixed, and ALL apparently have Tech Bullitins issued for fixes as they are know issues (I'm afraid I don't know the TB No's)

Item 1 is the MMI unit vibrating - it needs re-fixing and increased sound proofing.
Item 2 is the speakers vibrating - they add additional felt backing I believe to the door cards to stop the vibrations.
Item 3 is something to do with the rear suspension shock unit sleeves?? - Not sure what they did but the car is now quiet and a pleasure to be in!!

Hope this helps!

JC

#31 ·
I have these EXACT SAME PROBLEMS.

I get a rattle from the left rear pillar when going over a bump where each axle ends up being uneven (crossing a driveway ramp at an angle).

Rattling from the ashtray area.

Rattling from the sunglass tray.

Rattling from the passenger door (US spec/right side) when B&O turned on at certain bass frequencies.

Only problem is I'm not sure if dealer will honor warranty fixes since it has springs on... :wall:

#30 ·
No rattles or squeeks here, with the exception of when I drive over some extremely bad pavement or rought railroad tracks. Then I can hear a light creak once in a while. Every so often I will drive with the radio off just to see if I hear anything.

#32 ·
Ill add my car to the noise making list, seem to have the squeaking from the boot area when going over pot holes, speed bumps, uneven road etc, seems to vary in how much it is noticeable from very squeaky to not so bad but still there.

Also have annoying rattle/vibration that seems to come from the parcel shelf area anytime something with a bit of bass is played on the stereo.

Taking it into dealer to get them to have a look, hope its something that can be fixed as I have been in "cr@p" cars that make less noise going over speed bumps and the like, not what you'd expect from an Audi!

#34 ·
Also have annoying rattle/vibration that seems to come from the parcel shelf area anytime something with a bit of bass is played on the stereo.

Taking it into dealer to get them to have a look, hope its something that can be fixed as I have been in "cr@p" cars that make less noise going over speed bumps and the like, not what you'd expect from an Audi!
Please let me know how you get on with the speaker vibration in the parcel shelf. Mine has been in 5 times over the last year. Replaced speaker once and shelf twice. It still Bl**dy well vibrates. Audi customer services were about as much use as a chocolate tea pot

#33 ·
My car was rattle free until I swapped my standard 18" wheels for a set of 20" RS4's at the weekend :thumbsup:, now I seem to have a few annoying rattles from the rear quarters :thumbsdown:.

So I guess it depends on what you’re rolling on but wheel size is definitely a contributing factor for me.

Love the wheels though so I will just have to live it. :wall:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.