Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going for a cruise on Sunday. Try to fill up the tank, then saw pink liquid dripping from the front of the car. Coolant is leaking. No service opens Sunday and Autozone has no R12 coolant. Add water till this morning to dealer

Dealer said something foreign hit the radiator and punctured it. Not cover by warrenty. Guess it is coming out of my packet :(

·
Registered
415 Posts
What a bummer. Did they prove it to your satisfaction that it was a victim of FOD (foreign object damage)? I, personally, wouldn't take their word for it considering how much a radiator must cost for one of these cars. (I'm not sure I want to know.)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had a problem with my last Audi with the radiator leaking. The Audi garage couldn't find it but AA roadside assistance quickly found a leak at the BACK of the radiator which they traced to a small wire rubbing at the radiator to the point it actually sawed a hole through it.

Make sure it's not something like this before you stump up the cash.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Absolutely - get it checked out independently and don't take you're dealer's assessment at face value! The old S4 which used (essentially) the same engine had a reputation for the smaller radiators in the front wings springing leaks. Both sides went on my car - first one was under warranty and the second was after the warranty ran out.

Both were manufacturing faults, and the first one showed up when it leaked all over the fan control unit, so the car overheated in slow traffic when the fan didn't come on to drive air through the radiator. RAC fixed the blown fuze at the roadside, but as the root cause was the control unit, the fan then didn't stop when the engine was stopped. Pulling the fuze didn't stop the fan either, with the result that the battery went flat. New battery, radiator, fan control unit, fan and wiring loom all replaced under warranty.

Second one (other side, sadly) sprung a leak at around 4 years old. Thankfully it was a slow leak, so not a major problem and I never had it fixed before selling the car. I was quoted somewhere just under £400 for a fix though.

Which radiator is it? My main question would be how was it damaged? If it's a stone, then how did it get at the radiator with enough energy to cause a problem? If the problem is clearly not in line with any area where a stone could cause a problem (ie top, bottom (protected by plastic trim) or back), then it's more likely to be a manufacturing fault, in which case it should be a warranty job.

Good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Today while I was driving on our great kept 101 freeway in CA couple small rocks hit my car I heard one hit my front windshield but no damage. Then when I got to work I see this red liquid peeing out of the lower part of my front grill. Immidately I drive to my audi dealership which is only five mins away. Still peeing out from the front literally the advisor looked underneth and goes oohhh you have a small pin hole on the radiator. I guess its my luck that a small rock can go threw the grill and hit the paper made LOL radiator and make a hole. Now im down a grand and im lucky if it will be done in two weeks cause I guess there is only one extra radiator in the US for a 09 S5.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Man thats sucks! Considering that the majority of the rad is covered by the ac rad then its surprising that the ac one didnt go as well. The S5 rad is only £150 for a manual and £180 for an auto version here so these stealers are lining their pockets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Coolant leak after bottoming car

Apologies for rekindling such an old thread. Was driving the S5 yesterday and the 'Low Coolant' dash warning came up, so I pulled over and saw that the coolant tank was sitting below minimum and a small trace of coolant evident on the right of the front undertray/valance looking from the front. I topped it up with water and carried on home confused as to what may have caused it.

Some quizzing of my wife revealed that on Saturday she had been caught by a local 'Bechers Brook' speedbump which had a dip on the road surface behind it which caused the front valance/undertray to hit the road despite slowing down for it. I'm guessing the unsprung jolt will have damaged a radiator to cause the minor leak?

This morning there is a small trace of water under the front of the car. Any suggestions on what I might be in for if it is a holed radiator, or a good place to go to get it fixed. I'm in SW London, the speedbump capital of the world!

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts