Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a quick question regards my clutch.

In my S3, to get a really quick gettaway, i found the best method was to rev up to 4000rpm and slip the clutch every-so-slightly until the turbo was well and truely spooled up.

I have done this with such regularity that every now and again i acccidentally do it in the S5! The problem is that the S5 is not turbo charged and so such a technique is wasted and also that there is so much torque the cluch actually slips until you either change gear or come off the throttle. At least thats what i am hoping - the alternative is that the clutch is starting to let go!

Has anyone else experienced the slipping clutch under the aforementioned conditions? Is it a case of just educating myself to stop pulling off in such away or should i start saving for a new clutch?

Your input is appreciated

Simon

·
Registered
457 Posts
When you have lots of power and get on it, something has to give. In my Cobra for instance, with 811rwhp, my tires would go up in smoke. When I did hook, in the past I broke things.

With Quattro, you have tons of traction, so something has to give. In your case it is the clutch that is giving (better than part of the drivetrain like a half shaft, transmission, or drive shaft). Eventually you will need to replace the clutch if you keep driving it like that, the fact your clutch is already slipping is not a good sign but doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be replaced yet. Once it starts slipping at low throttle, then you will have a problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
you'll be able to smell it if your clutch is slipping at 4k+ and your car feels like its very underpowered when u sprint from higher revs . . .

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you slip the clutch at 4,000 rpm under full power the clutch is going to struggle to bite. Best is either dump the clutch at those revs (harsh on the transmission) or do a similar thing from 2500 or 3,000 rpm, where (from experience) the clutch will bite af full throttle when 'feathered'

Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think simon wants to know if the s5 clutch slips when u let it out at 4k+ rpm.
how's everyone else on this??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think simon wants to know if the s5 clutch slips when u let it out at 4k+ rpm.
how's everyone else on this??

Thanks puff,

I know the basic principle of clutch operation, and i know that my clutch isn't on the way out per say as it does not slip under high torque situations i.e 6th gear at low revs and then floor it, the clutch bites properly. What i am suggesting is that the clutch is being induced to slip by my stupidity, but i am surprised that it continues to slip once the pedal has been fully release - i think/hope that this is due to the torque and just wanted some reassurance from someone else who has done the same without it leading to a big clutch problem!

Simon
PS clutches covered by manufacturers warranty?

·
Registered
457 Posts
The clutch continues to slip because you may have worn smooth spots on the clutch plate/flywheel. Excessive wear on the clutch will cause hot spots which causes the friction material to get smooth...hence, loss of grip.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...As I said... the clutch Does slip if feathered at 4,000 rpm under full power, once it is lipping, it really does struggle to bite. Doing this also REALLY reduced the life of the clutch AND wears shiny spots, making slippage worse.

It does not sound like you have a problem YET... but soon will if you continue! Use lower revs/less power until the clutch has bitten... it's also faster than slipping the clutch.

Clutches are NOT covered under warranty as they are wear components, unless they are actually faulty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys,

I will adopt the 4000rpm and dump clutch method in future! Not that i can afford to do that many hot starts....it just nice to know the quickest take off procedure if required!

I smoked a 911 (997) the other day and i don't think i have ever smiled so broadly for so long before in my life!!!
:laughinatabove:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I will adopt the 4000rpm and dump clutch method in future!
Could someone please explain to me what it means to "dump the clutch" and "slipping"... I'm having a hard time understanding the proper way to drive :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dumping the Clutch is basically taking your foot off the pedal in a very quick way, whether you chose to slip your foot off the side of the pedal and allow it to engage on its own or release it by pulling your foot back very quickly. This will cause the friction plate to grip almost instantly and the power is transfered to the various drive components instantly. You will feel a very large hit to the the head at this time :) as well your engine will reduce its revs as it struggles to take up the new load it's under.

Feathering (slipping) the clutch is taking your foot off in more controlled way this will wear out the clutch more quickly, but place less strain on the other components.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dumping the Clutch is basically taking your foot off the pedal in a very quick way, whether you chose to slip your foot off the side of the pedal and allow it to engage on its own or release it by pulling your foot back very quickly. This will cause the friction plate to grip almost instantly and the power is transfered to the various drive components instantly. You will feel a very large hit to the the head at this time :) as well your engine will reduce its revs as it struggles to take up the new load it's under.

Feathering (slipping) the clutch is taking your foot off in more controlled way this will wear out the clutch more quickly, but place less strain on the other components.
Thanks, perfect explanation ;)

Btw do you (or anyone else) have any links to websites where I can read basic tips like these on how to driver in certain ways... like if I want to be gentle to the car, or if I want to beat a 911 :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would strongly recommend an advanced driving course, Will teach you the correct way to do what you want to do as well as having personal instruction, they are held in controlled environs so much less chance of having/causing an accident while you are learning

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would strongly recommend an advanced driving course, Will teach you the correct way to do what you want to do as well as having personal instruction, they are held in controlled environs so much less chance of having/causing an accident while you are learning
I've been thinking about this... just need to find a good course here in Gothenburg, Sweden... not that easy to find :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
That may be the fastest start technique but it will eat your clutch

Although revving the engine to 4000 rpm and then dumping the clutch may lead to a fast 0-60 or 1/4 mile times it will inevitably destroy your clutch plates. Simple physics. No modern street car is designed to be driven that way. With my S5, even for a relatively brisk start, I engage the clutch fully by about 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Then this leads me to a next question of how to do a burnout on the s5 . . . Not something that I would do of course.but good to know.
So is it save to confirm that all s5 clutches slip when pushed?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well since you don't actually want to do it yourself and am just hungry for knowledge ;););) While parked turn off both esp and traction control by holding the button down for about 5 seconds, will tell you on dash board screen when done, (not the mmi).Then since I haven't actually tried it myself I would assume you put it in first, rev the guts out of it and drop the clutch. Seriously though I am yet to try it in the s5 but that should just about cover it for you. Will be interesting to try it myself at the track tomorrow to see exactly what happens.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, i had an interesting day at the drag strip yesterday. Basically i was trying to do a quick chirp and hook (AWD Launch) and i wasnt havin it to easy. I revved up to 4k rpm then slipped the clutch out about a cm, then floored the accelerator, then fully released the clutch (almost dumping it) and yet i couldnt pull it off like those damn evos u see everywhere. Excuse my terminology (i think slipping is what im trying to say, if im wrong lemme know)...any advise on how to better launch the car? BTW my best of three 1/4 MILE runs was 14.1, coulda done better but i cant launch without an initial bog but then im out!

·
Registered
184 Posts
???? wheres TX when u need him?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, i had an interesting day at the drag strip yesterday. Basically i was trying to do a quick chirp and hook (AWD Launch) and i wasnt havin it to easy. I revved up to 4k rpm then slipped the clutch out about a cm, then floored the accelerator, then fully released the clutch (almost dumping it) and yet i couldnt pull it off like those damn evos u see everywhere. Excuse my terminology (i think slipping is what im trying to say, if im wrong lemme know)...any advise on how to better launch the car? BTW my best of three 1/4 MILE runs was 14.1, coulda done better but i cant launch without an initial bog but then im out!
14.1? That's A5 territory. It really just takes a bit of practice to find out what works best for you. A lot of the EVO/STI folks like to rev thier motor to the limiter and dump the clutch. They also eat up lots of transmissions/clutches in the process. I've found the best approach is to feather the clutch, that is let up on the clutch at about the same rate as you press down on the gas pedal. Then again, most of my drag strip runs were in my rwd 03 Cobra (10.08 @ 141mph)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts