Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being looking at some old threads and there seems to be some inconsistent information on which SD cards to use and other matters music related, largely I think from the fact that some people have the old MMI and very few have taken delivery of the new 3G MMI. So thought I would start this thread so that those lucky enough to have the 3G MMI can answer some questions which might give different responses to those from the older version. So here's a few to get us going:

1. Under the new 3G MMI do you still have to order a separate lead to connect your USB Flash drive or Ipod, or is it included, or is just one included i.e. USB included, but you need the Ipod version?

2. Do SDHC cards work? I thought not, but in another thread someone has a couple of 8GB SDHC cards working fine, and I thought it might be a 3G thing.

3. Some complaints on other threads about how long it takes to get music to start playing when using USB hard drives with loads of directories/folders. How quick is it with the 3G version?

4. When you're using the USB Flash drive playing MP3s does it show the album artwork? What about the Ipod version - does that display the album artwork?

5. What is the best way of getting playlists onto the 3G MMI, and does it have a shuffle function?

6. Does it have gaps between tracks - my PS3 plays stuff from my USB Flashdrive without gaps seamlessly, not sure if the 3G MMI does?

So there's a few to start if anyone with the new version can get testing! Before posting can everyone make it clear if they are certain they have the new 3G version.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
1. Under the new 3G MMI do you still have to order a separate lead to connect your USB Flash drive or Ipod, or is it included, or is just one included i.e. USB included, but you need the Ipod version?
You still have to order at seperate lead.

2. Do SDHC cards work? I thought not, but in another thread someone has a couple of 8GB SDHC cards working fine, and I thought it might be a 3G thing.
Yes, my 8GB SDHC card work fine... I will test 16GB and 32GB later on (as my wife work for Kingston).

3. Some complaints on other threads about how long it takes to get music to start playing when using USB hard drives with loads of directories/folders. How quick is it with the 3G version?
Much faster. I can't complain the the process time at all anymore.

4. When you're using the USB Flash drive playing MP3s does it show the album artwork? What about the Ipod version - does that display the album artwork?
Not that I can see anyways. It shows the ID3 tags, but not the album arts.

5. What is the best way of getting playlists onto the 3G MMI, and does it have a shuffle function?
You can create your own playlists directly on the MMI and yes it has the shuffle function.

6. Does it have gaps between tracks - my PS3 plays stuff from my USB Flashdrive without gaps seamlessly, not sure if the 3G MMI does?
Yes, it has gaps in between songs.

Before posting can everyone make it clear if they are certain they have the new 3G version.
I'm very clear that I have the 3G yes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
skoTner

You're a star...Thanks for taking the time to answer these q's

A week or so to go...can;t wait!

Will be interesting to see your results regarding the higher capacity SD cards.

By your post you also seem to have tried the USB HD route too with quick access times...?
Could I ask which hard drive you have used on it, and what capacity it was?

Many many thanks

Nick

·
Registered
914 Posts
Pity there is still no gapless playback, but the good news is the new MMI will wshow police checkpoints (when available in your country):

Checkpoints

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also interesting to read on another thread that 3g mmi supports up to 32gb per sd card...
Will be interesting to see if that's true...

·
Registered
302 Posts
By your post you also seem to have tried the USB HD route too with quick access times...?
Could I ask which hard drive you have used on it, and what capacity it was?
Western Digital Passport Essential 160GB - WDME1600TE

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another thing to remember is that you can load 10Mb onto the car's hard drive. Won't store all your music, but useful to load a slug of tunes into the car for when you don't have your iPod or HD plugged in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another thing to remember is that you can load 10Mb onto the car's hard drive. Won't store all your music, but useful to load a slug of tunes into the car for when you don't have your iPod or HD plugged in.
I reckon you mean 10GB ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
SkoTner

Thanks again for your replies...you are being really helpful making some decisions for me...!

Could I just ask one more thing...

The hard drive you quote you are using (160GB WD)...
1. From turning on the car, how long would you say it takes to being able to search through your music collection?

2. Have you had any problems with it "partially" seeing your music , ie: some CD's recognised, but some not due to the hard drive's large size?

3. Is there any delay when accessing the drive whilst it is playing another song from it?

Many thanks again....
I owe you a beer or two...!!

;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Don't know whether or not this is relevant, but I saw my first new S-Line A5 today in Guildford Audi. It had the 3G MMI and had two SD card slots. You probably already knew this, but I thought I'd post anyway.

·
Registered
302 Posts
1. From turning on the car, how long would you say it takes to being able to search through your music collection?
Oh, hard question. It says "Initializing media..." or something for about 20 seconds or so maybe when I turn on the ignition/MMI.

2. Have you had any problems with it "partially" seeing your music , ie: some CD's recognised, but some not due to the hard drive's large size?
Not 100% sure I understand the question. Haven't had any problem with it not recognizing any CDs yet.

3. Is there any delay when accessing the drive whilst it is playing another song from it?
Maybe a tiny tiny delay, but to small to notice really.

Owe you a beer or two
Probably more expensive for me than you since I have to travel to the UK to get them? :p

·
Registered
914 Posts
Could I just ask one more thing...

Many thanks again....
I owe you a beer or two...!!

;)
1. First time you connect the harddisk: 10-20 seconds, all next times 2-3 seconds

2. no (and I have a Freecom XXS 320Gb disk, of which about 120Gb is in use)

3. no delay, but if you jump to a lot of different folders, it can take some time (1-2 seconds) before a complete folder with mp3 files is loaded (it then says: 1/20 loading, 2/20 loading.......etc, but again: this does NOT happen if you browse to a folder "near" (close?) to the folder where the mp3 that is currently playing is located

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pity there is still no gapless playback, but the good news is the new MMI will wshow police checkpoints (when available in your country):

Checkpoints
This has been a really useful thread and very informative.

To add to what has been stated already, are gaps only when playing music through the MMI, or are there also gaps when playing back from an Ipod or external disk?

·
Registered
914 Posts
This has been a really useful thread and very informative.

To add to what has been stated already, are gaps only when playing music through the MMI, or are there also gaps when playing back from an Ipod or external disk?
I only know about the external harddisk, and yes: there are gaps between the tracks (which are not there when you play it back with Windows Media Player or WinAmp on a PC).

As you can read here, the "problem" is widespread, and I am afraid when using an iPod it will not be much better.

I found the following solution: I ripp a CD (which contains a concert, or mix, etc) with Windows Media Player or Nero or any other ripp tool and this delivers the whole CD in separate tracks/files (which plays back correctly on a PC without hearing any gaps) and then I join the separate files (wma, but with mp3 or ogg vorbis it must be possible too i think?) using Windows Movie Maker! :Hi: (standard on every Windows XP or Vista machine) and this creates one, continous wma (or mp3) file without any gaps (I read that iTunes can do the same in one ripp, so this must be possible too).

Good luck, and let's hope the next sw upgrade of the AMU will support gapless playback (I have MMI v5570, with AMI sw of september 2008).

·
Registered
17 Posts
SDHC is recognised.
I tried with a 16GB card and this is recognised instantly.
In the instruction manual of the new MMI, it is indicated that the SD card readers can read cards up to 32GB.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks so much guys... This is why love this forum. Answers to questions without the bs some other forums provide...!!

I think you've both talked me into the USB hard drive option instead of the iPod...

Thanks again!

Nick

·
Registered
328 Posts
SDHC is recognised.
In the instruction manual of the new MMI, it is indicated that the SD card readers can read cards up to 32GB.
What brand and model did you use?

·
Registered
124 Posts
SDHC is recognised.
Thats really great. I hope a software update can enable 16GB in the 2008 A5's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts