Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum any Audi forum for that fact.
I have a few questions about the new S5 which over past month has really gotten my eye.

I'll start by referencing that my current vehicles are an FX35 AWD and a BMW M3 (SMG).

Before I noticed the S5 I was trying to decide between the 335i Convertible and the upcoming C63. Those may still appeal to me but from my looking so far (though I have not seen one in person yet as I'm in US on East Coast) the S5 has moved to my top pick even though I didn't really want another Sports Coupe since I have the M3.

1) I will most certainly be doing the European Delivery with whichever of the above cars I chose (It's the only way to not pay MSRP and should be a fun trip) So first I have gotten Audi full dealership packet on the Delivery I noticed it said cash sales only. Does this mean that you cannot lease an Audi and do the European Delivery? BMW and Benz do so I would find it funny Audi would not but it would affect my choice maybe.

2) I keep reading reviews about it being a decent Grand Touring car but it has let down the drivers in the reviews, What current Audi car would I drive to get the closest feel for the S5 (from you that have the S5). I do not expect the S5 to be brutal and raw feeling like the M3 is not many cars are but I would have to get in and feel like I am driving a Pontiac GTO which is a fast and great and very under appreciated touring car for (what it is).

3) I saw somewhere the B&O is not as good as the S6's B&O system but my dealer thought that it would cost the same which in US is about $6k. Can you that have it in UK comment on it if you have seen the S6's and the price compared to it as an option.

4) Is anyone going to be modding their S5 that is one of the big appeals to the 335i is the ease of tweaking the twin turbo for pretty big power gains. I tend to have a problem leaving anything stock. Though because I plan to lease I don't want to go over the top and add FI to a NA car.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Lee

·
Registered
99 Posts
First off, I have the same car right now (the FX35 AWD). Awesome hahaha, I love that thing, so fast for a crossover SUV. I can't answer your questions except the fourth maybe. I know how you feel about leaving anything stock but the way cars are being designed now you don't need to change much if anything at all for performance. What's wonderful about the S5 is the naturally aspirated V8, it's just gorgeous in every aspect. The technology is a nice add, too, with the keyless entry and start/stop button. But those are just gadgets that don't affect performance. You can change the steering sensitivity through the MMI! I see no reason to do any real modding to this car because you'll kill the resale value... what's left of it that is /audi_humour

·
Registered
163 Posts
Evening Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum any Audi forum for that fact.
I have a few questions about the new S5 which over past month has really gotten my eye.

I'll start by referencing that my current vehicles are an FX35 AWD and a BMW M3 (SMG).

Before I noticed the S5 I was trying to decide between the 335i Convertible and the upcoming C63. Those may still appeal to me but from my looking so far (though I have not seen one in person yet as I'm in US on East Coast) the S5 has moved to my top pick even though I didn't really want another Sports Coupe since I have the M3.

1) I will most certainly be doing the European Delivery with whichever of the above cars I chose (It's the only way to not pay MSRP and should be a fun trip) So first I have gotten Audi full dealership packet on the Delivery I noticed it said cash sales only. Does this mean that you cannot lease an Audi and do the European Delivery? BMW and Benz do so I would find it funny Audi would not but it would affect my choice maybe.

2) I keep reading reviews about it being a decent Grand Touring car but it has let down the drivers in the reviews, What current Audi car would I drive to get the closest feel for the S5 (from you that have the S5). I do not expect the S5 to be brutal and raw feeling like the M3 is not many cars are but I would have to get in and feel like I am driving a Pontiac GTO which is a fast and great and very under appreciated touring car for (what it is).

3) I saw somewhere the B&O is not as good as the S6's B&O system but my dealer thought that it would cost the same which in US is about $6k. Can you that have it in UK comment on it if you have seen the S6's and the price compared to it as an option.

4) Is anyone going to be modding their S5 that is one of the big appeals to the 335i is the ease of tweaking the twin turbo for pretty big power gains. I tend to have a problem leaving anything stock. Though because I plan to lease I don't want to go over the top and add FI to a NA car.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Lee
I'll try to answer them one at a time.

1) Call Audi to find out the truth about Euro delivery. A local dealer may not give you the right answers because they want to sell you the car. Audi of A should be able to answer your questions about leasing.

2) From reviews is has been said that this car is a big improvement over an S4. An RS4 is a different story, but different cars. The S5 should be a tick or two behind the RS4. Reviews have been glowing about its handling. More intuitive, precise and better feel. Much better than a Gto.

3) I have heard both systems in the S8 and S5 when it was in NYC. It is just as good as the S8's system. Just a little lower on peek amps. The S8 has more amps, but I am not interested in louder but clarity, crispness and a bass not being muddy. The S5 system sounded great, also a much improved system over ANY bose system I have heard. It should also not be anywhere close to the 6k on the S8. Around 1k for S5.

4) Aftermarket part will always be available for the S5, but its natural aspiration makes it hard to just chip it for an easy 20hp. Chips work much better with turbo and Supercharged cars. There is already a lower suspenion as well as 20 inch wheel packages.

I think the S5 with be better than your current M3 Smg. I had a M3 smg, but will not be what the new M3 is going to be. I am going to order the S5 because it will be 9/10th of what the new M3 is going to be, but give me all wheel drive all weather capability as well as a much better interior. I can deal with being .3 second slower to 60 to have those other advantages. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just wrote up a reply but something didn't let it post. I'll try again.

I agree the dealership seems to know less then I do about the S5. I was happy they gave me the complete Euro Delivery Package. I don’t think they meant to give me the whole thing being that this one shows everything including dealership instruction and how pricing works which I was unsure of.

With BMW when you do an ED you can easily end up only paying $1-$1,500 over European Invoice which is about $4k less then US Invoice so thereby saving around 5 to 6k under US MSRP. The only real reason dealerships will do this is because other then "M" models the ED's do not come out of the dealer allocations so it is basically extra money to them they will still get there full years shipment.
Anyway in the packet for Audi it said for every ED that an Audi dealership does they will get a 3% commission (on top of whatever above invoice they sell you the car for) . The dealership will also get an exact addition to their allocation for whatever model was bought through the Audi ED program.

Just like with BMW and Benz if you want money off MSRP and with the way the system is setup you could save $4 or $5 thousand it makes sense to do ED if you have time.

I figured the performance gains on the 4.2 FSI wouldn't be as easy to tune as the Twin T of the 335i. Just like there is no cheap mod for my E46 M3 to make it faster.

I'll wait for true pricing to come out next month before I give my dealership the first chance to get my business. If not I have no problem finding one who will. Now I know the ED is extra moeny for them I know that someone will be more then happy to take $1200 over invoice plus the 3% Audi will give them and still recieve the same model here in the US they will still sell at MSRP.

If anyone else would like a copy of this let me know I'll scan it in and post it.

How many speakers are with the B&O system?

·
Registered
487 Posts
14 speakers with the B&O and YES, I would love a copy of what you have please or you can email it to me if you have an e-form of it. I'll private message you my email.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only have the paper copy, it is about 60 or so pages. But there is a lot of duplication in the document. I'll try to remember to take it to work to scan in then I'll add it in a new post on here about European Delivery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I understand it, there is no extra charge for the shipping - it is included in the price of the car.

FYI, there is decent information on the Euro Delivery process on the Audi USA website under the Experience tab on the right side of the page.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pretty sure this isn't the case. No review (and I have read plenty!) has ever mentioned this.
Hence the "/audi_humour" tag. They keep boasting about it in their brochures but none of the reviews have talked about it in depth besides mentioning it as a feature.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok the site will not let me attach anything bigger then 19kb This .pdf file is 1.05 MB. I would have to zip each page to do it. Any advice?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are you just posting something that is downloadable from the Audi site? If so you could just paste the link.

ED is a great way to get your car, I believe the ED package also includes accommodation for one day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No this is the actual Dealers Resource Guide for ED. IT lays EVERYTHING out including the dealerships commissions on top of what they normally get. Along with drop off locations timelines and such. With this as I said earlier I don't have to worry about a salesman telling me "No all that is allowed to be saved on a ED is 5% off MSRP" Because it clearly states in the document from Audi of America that the dealership retains anything above invoice just like any other deal.
The main kicker is that when sold through ED the dealership will get an addition car of same type that was sold through ED. So the ED is all extra for a dealership during what they would get during the year.

Think of it like this.

Say my dealership is slated to get 50 units of S5's They will probably have no issues selling them at MSRP, so why would they sell them under it.

I come in saying I want an ED they can now sell 51 Units of S5's that year not just 50. So even if they only make $3k in profit instead of the $6k like that would with MSRP don't you think they would go for it!!!

Now on other hand if I come in and don't know how ED works and they can get me to sign at 5% off MSRP they really only gave 2% off MSRP because Audi HQ give the dealership a #5 on MSRP Commission for that car.

Does that make sense? This is why I'm sharing when I learned of this while buying BMW I had no clue. And for new models you will prob not be working your deal up from the Invoice price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok Andrew the Admin helped we finally gopt the .pdf files uploaded. They are on #10 post on the ED thread.

Tell me what ya'll think did this help?

Oh page 26 is the one that show eaxctly what the dealer propabley won't tell you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts