Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my A5 and it currently has 65 miles on the clock. It is a 3.0 TDI with a manual gearbox.

Whenever I've bought a new car, I've always held off a bit for the first 1,000 miles to let it break in. Should this practice still be followed with modern cars such as the A5? I plan on keeping it for 2-3 years so is it worth me taking it easy for a bit?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hi Whealey, welcome and congrats on the new car - suzuka's an excellent colour and I'm sure you're going to be delighted.

Common wisdom (and the owner's manual - at least mine) suggests that you should exercise restraint for the first 1000 mls/1500km - in a petrol, this generally equates to avoiding +4K rpm and being sure to work the gearbox to prevent engine labouring. I would imagine that the same common sense is required with the 3.0 Tdi, although perhaps with a low-revving diesel lump, it's probably more important to ensure that you use the gears to keep it spinning freely and unstressed rather than avoiding 4000rpm!

I'm not a diesel afficionado though so maybe one of the existing Tdi owners can offer some advice (if your manual isn't explicit on this point).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't really had to worry about this much in the past, as most of my car's have been fleet/company cars.

For my bikes, (and my plans for the A5), I would vary the speed in the first few hundered miles, keeping the revs below a third of the limit with plenty of engine braking and as little idling as possible. After 500/600 miles, I keep the revs below half and then once at around 1000 miles, an oil and filter change. Keeping the revs below half until at around 1500mls with some motorway/distance driving up to this point then open them up well into the powerband occationally at first.

That said, I can't vouch for what's happened to the car on the PDI drive which annoys me (and concerns me a little), and I've seen a few of them driven 'spiritedly' by Audi tec's.

Personally, I've always found this is a small price to pay at first for longer life from the engines.

·
Registered
415 Posts
That said, I can't vouch for what's happened to the car on the PDI drive which annoys me (and concerns me a little), and I've seen a few of them driven 'spiritedly' by Audi tec's.
Factory instructions for PDI include running the engine through its entire operating range, in terms of speeds and loads. If you see a tech dropping the hammer on a brand new Audi, it may be because he's following instructions. Or he could be having fun...can you blame them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Running In

Picked up my 3.0 TDI TIP in August and asked the tech guy for his recommendations. He maintained that Audi had found that running thm hard from the word go was found to produce engines that did not burn oil.
He alos said the build standard and tolerences on the engines really didnt need running in as in the past. He didnt say anything about petrol engines so it may not read across.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Some of you guys must have incredible self control. I have had my car for 11 days, done 850 miles and red-lined the car many times !!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know - first drive in my this morning and couldn't help myself, I had to try it out. Done 100 miles today, mainly just driving about for the fun of it and have had it red line a few times... just can't help myself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
nikennike, how come you didn’t wait for the 58 plate then? Only 11 days between delivery and the newer plate, I waited nearly a month to get it registered in the September reg...

I’ve also done about 100 miles today, same, just cos I couldn’t get out - I just wanted more and more. I have been a little gentle, but on one occasion just had to get past the old granny and went to about 4500 rpm.

I haven’t played with the ESP/ASR button yet, anyone...........?

·
Registered
337 Posts
nikennike, how come you didn’t wait for the 58 plate then? Only 11 days between delivery and the newer plate, I waited nearly a month to get it registered in the September reg...

I’ve also done about 100 miles today, same, just cos I couldn’t get out - I just wanted more and more. I have been a little gentle, but on one occasion just had to get past the old granny and went to about 4500 rpm.

I haven’t played with the ESP/ASR button yet, anyone...........?
Hey Bungle, the dealership wanted to shift some cars in August so I negotiated a better deal. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush !

·
Registered
118 Posts
Absolutely buddy, I may have made the same call.

How’s that 2ltr Turbo settling down, I hear good things about it. What’s the real world economy like? Are you happy with the power?

I'm thinking of getting my wife out of her 04 Golf which is the 2ltr FSI (non Turbo) GT this coming year into something like the A3 Cab.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry for the double post, but this might be useful too...

Another perspective:

Speaking as an ex audi mechanic and ASE Master: Beat the snot out of it.

... or it won't stop burning oil, ever. Pretty simple.

I know this topic is often disputed, and frankly I don't give a shit because every one of my vehicles doesn't burn a drop at 100k miles so there's believers and there aren't.

You have a narrow window of opportunity to seat the rings, about a thousand miles. The engine must experience the entire wide range of RPM during this process. Extended drives are an absolute no, a drive across the country at 3000 rpm is the worst.

Search the forums. You'll find lots of "My car has a low oil light on at 2500 miles and it took 3 quarts to top it off, I never went above 5000 rpm for the first 2000 miles, what the hell is wrong??" ... yep. he was an idiot. It will burn that much forever.

So. Beat the snot out of it. Luckily the audi tech who did the PDI of your car already did that for the first 7 miles, if he did it per all of the steps including "test vehicles performance in all conditions" ... a lot of stuff burns off the exhaust at that point. We were instructed specifically to not baby it at all.

Leave the oil that's in it for 1k miles, and then change it using synthetic. Change it again at 5k.

Just my opinion. You'll hear many, I'm sure. Few are qualified to make one.
http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/29455.phtml

·
Registered
16 Posts
Total agree with Loc, need to give it some stick in the early days and not fanny about like an old lady. This will loosen the car nicely. I've been given this advice on my last 2 cars, last one the 3.0TDI A5, by the mechanics.... so get to it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well, that is just one guys opinion in the Internet (but as has been commented here, not alone in that opinion). The manuals in Audis still seem to suggest some breaking in period, but the logic of driving hard from the get go makes sense too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, that is just one guys opinion in the Internet (but as has been commented here, not alone in that opinion). The manuals in Audis still seem to suggest some breaking in period, but the logic of driving hard from the get go makes sense too.
I was told to let it rip from day one, but not let the engine rpm redline until a 1000 miles are driven, and to be careful with new brakes until they are worn-in. Not sure if I agree with the first bit (letting it rip) but just another opinion to add to the confusion!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts