Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered my car (2.0Tfsi 211Bhp) in Meteor Grey.

I was kinda torn between Meteor and Quartz. The dealer had a black and a silver A5 side by side and i thought the car looked much more aggressive in the darker colour.

Also i wanted to put the S5 grille on the front as i think it looks more agressive still, and i thought the chrome bumper on the light coloured car might be too much - i think it will look better on the dark car.

I didnt want black as there are too many around plus having owned a black car before i dont want to go through the trauma of trying to keep it clean again :D

So how do you think the Meteor Grey will be in that respect ? Are they a nightmare to keep clean aswell or will it be much more forgiving than black ?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Meteor Grey looks very very dull IMHO. It doesn't even look metallic!

Whereas a nice metallic Phantom Black looks superb and I don't think the upkeep is too bad!

Quartz is nice but there again it's not Black!!

RG (I love Black Audis/VW's... about to get our tenth! (Big savings on Touch up sticks)

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Going for it

For whatever it's worth, I've been debating on colors and have finally decided on meteor gray with light gray interior, nav, tech and B&O. Order gets placed tomorrow. :) The waiting will be tough. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Savo,

Colour will always be a tough call. Folks are probably in a better position these days to make an informed decision with most options being visible on the roads today. I virtually made the call virtually blind last October. My top preferences were PB or Quartz Grey. Went with PB & am delighted with it. It strike me how it holds it's striking sheen long after a wash. I noted how well it held up after a round trip to Cork & back to Dublin in some of that incessant rain recently. I must say that having seen Quartz Grey several times on the road, it looks very well & IMO is probably the best colour along with tp PB to define the car. Be careful with Meteor. Clean, it looks well, though not spectacular. Very tough to keep clean & sustain that sheen. I would go as far as to say that when not so clean the colour looks very, very ordinary to the extent that it diminishes the model IMO. Reckon it will have the highest level of post purchase dis-satisfaction with regard to colour. One final important point for consideration is the interior seating colour. I went with the belief that a bright interior colour was necessary to contrast against the dark colour exterior. Personally, I feel I got that spot on with star silver by giving it a striking & luxurious appeal against the PB. The cab needs brightning. Dark interior just does'nt do it for me.
In conclusion, if you can at all, consider Quartz seriously. Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This has been discussed before, but just to add my few cents (again):

Meteor grey is very dull colour with very little metal sparklies in the mix, so in bad weather it looks quite dull and probably shows dirt and wear worse than many more metallic colours do. Quartz is far better in this regard with an ample mix of metallic sparkly things in there...

Meteor grey has been compared to a battle ship. It needs good weather to shine.

As for the pearlescent shade, some see it as a blue, some as a green colour. I'm not too comfy with the green side of the Meteor either, but if you are one of those people who see it as a blue and the lack of metallic in the paint is not an issue, then sure it is a nice darkish colour.

I wouldn't buy it without seeing it. (And having seen it, I wouldn't buy it.)

·
Registered
415 Posts
My only complaint about meteor grey is that it's not quite "battleship" enough for my tastes. I loved "Nimbus grey" on the Mk1 TTs.

It's true that meteor isn't very metallic..but it's not supposed to be. It's a pearlescent paint...so it shimmers some from the pearl effect, but not from metallic flakes. I certainly think "dull" is a terrible word to apply to it. It's far from dull. It's a subtle but complex color, and in my experience it wows everyone who sees it. It's not what everyone's looking for, but I love it and don't regret my decision in the least.

As far as showing dirt, I'd say it's an order of magnitude better than black in that regard. It's probably halfway between the dirt-masking abilities of silver and black, and that makes sense as it's between those colors in shade, as well.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
First off, aerodave, I feel somewhat unconfortable debating a colour with someone who likes it and has chosen it for their vehicle. I'm was tempted to not go on, out of respect and politeness, but I'm hoping you don't mind and I think there is some value for the original question asker to hear my views too. I don't mean to belittle or disagree with the choice you made for yourself in anyway!

My only complaint about meteor grey is that it's not quite "battleship" enough for my tastes. I loved "Nimbus grey" on the Mk1 TTs.
OTOH, I'd grade Dolphin Grey even more battleshipesque than Meteor, and Dolphin is a *really* dull colour. Far more so than Meteor.

It's true that meteor isn't very metallic..but it's not supposed to be. It's a pearlescent paint...so it shimmers some from the pearl effect, but not from metallic flakes.
Perhaps, but some Audi pearlescent paints so have lots of metal in them. Notably Lava Grey which is infinitely better dark grey than Meteor in my book. Not available for A5 in all markets, though, without extra special pricing... So, yeah, I'm sure Meteor Grey is not meant to have metallic look, but the offset is, it does look much like a regular paint for the untrained eye - with the downsides of regular paint (prone to dullness, shows wear easier).

At the very least, Meteor takes more detailing and care to keep it looking shinining and good, when that inherent metallic shine isn't embedded in the paint. Fine for someone with the time and energy to do it, perhaps something to consider for those who don't?

I certainly think "dull" is a terrible word to apply to it. It's far from dull.
Depends on how you perceive the word "dull" in this context, I guess. By dull I tried to convey the feeling the colour gives you when the circumstances are not really there to show its best. You know, what the colour can give by itself, when no forgiving spots of light or well placed shadows grace its surfaces. What the car looks like on a given, say, clouded or rainy day in England when its too light for shadows and artificial light to play, but too clouded for any sun to shine on the car either.

In such circumstances many regular paints and some pearlescent paints (such as Meteor, worse still Dolphin which I guess might have even been labelled metallic - who knows why...) do look "dull" in that they don't really shine in those circumstances, whereas highly metallic paints still manage to convey some level of shine and, well in my opinion, an added level of luxury too. There is just that something that makes a metallic paint shine a bit brighter and look a bit pricier than its more regular-looking counterparts.

It's a subtle but complex color, and in my experience it wows everyone who sees it. It's not what everyone's looking for, but I love it and don't regret my decision in the least.
This is of course important feedback, and something for the question asker to consider. Viewpoints vary. And I'm glad you are happy with your car, no way would I try to change your views, just adding mine to the mix.

Notable disagreement has been read by some A5/S5 Meteor Grey drivers on AudiWorld.com, where the battleship quotes first surfaced for it, from owners like yourself.

And I do agree Meteor is complex in that it can give out different hues, this is also one reason why some see green and some very cold tones of blue... So that is a plus, of course. Especially if you like the tones.

As far as showing dirt, I'd say it's an order of magnitude better than black in that regard. It's probably halfway between the dirt-masking abilities of silver and black, and that makes sense as it's between those colors in shade, as well.
Agreed, better dirt masking abilities than black, of course. I just meant that the lack of metal sparklies will allow wear (swirl marks for instance) and light dirt show easier in sunshine than they would on a highly metallic painted car.

I have nothing against Meteor Grey. It would just not be my personal choice and given the above, I think it must be an educated, invidual choice. There is a chance to go wrong here, the colour can be somewhat misleading unless seen in the flesh and not necessarily entirely in a good way...

So, anyone considering it, go see it - preferably in test drive vehicle that you can observe in different lights, not just under spotlights.

For someone who wants metal in their colour, and the benefits that come from that, try Quartz for middle darkness, Lava for a dark colour - Avus might be good too if you can get that (clearly bluish though). Ice Silver is fine too, although so light a colour that the metallic nature is somewhat hidden by its lightness.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got mine in Meteor yesterday and think it looks great, in a range of lighting conditions and can look blue in certain situations.

Have also gone with the Cinnamon interior which provides a great contrast and everyone who has seen it and had a go so far likes it!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I must also add that almost any colour will look exceptional on a new car. Highly metallic paints will maintain their shiny look longer than those without, especially useful for people not as into detailing and waxing and stuff.

Just some things to consider. As we can see, plenty of people like Meteor... (and to quote a famous vice presidential candidate) "that's okay too". ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.

I think i'll probably stick with the Meteor Grey (even though im still not 100% sure about it)

I only saw 1 in real life and i was on a work call at the time on my mobile so couldnt give it proper attention but i remember liking it.

I searched TONS of pics i found on the internet though but i know they will never beat seeing it in real life. This pic below comparing the Meteor Grey with one of the blacks coupled with Nokis pics kinda clenched it for me. I prefer the Meteor Grey in the pic below and Nokis pics look great (although they are in a sunny day...)

The dealer had an A4 in Quartz Grey in the showroom. It was a really sunny day and it had lights shining down on it and i thought it looked too silver so kinda decided there not to get it.

Then when i went back to order my A5 it was a duller day and the Quartz looked a little darker and a lot better. It left me wondering again. My girlfriend preferd the Meteor though so seems as i couldnt make up my mind i went with that :)

The black looks great too but i think i just want something a little different. Almost every A5/S5 i have seen so far has been in black (except for one blue one locally and the Meteor Grey one the footballer had that i barely saw)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Meteor Gray ordered!

I basically came to the same conclusion and ordered my A5 on Saturday in meteor gray, w/ light gray interior, auto, premium, nav, tech and B&O. Was able to get them to include AudiCare at no additional charge, but otherwise MSRP. Eveyone on the forum was incredibly helpful and I appreciated all of the input, both pro and con. Can't wait until it comes in. Hopefully before the end of 2008.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Almost every A5/S5 i have seen so far has been in black
Nah ... about half of those will have been dirty Meteors and other assorted dark colours. They're hard to tell apart with a slight layer of grime.

I'm not knocking them, just a simple observation, just like Quartz Grey can look like Ice Silver in very bright sunlight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nah ... about half of those will have been dirty Meteors and other assorted dark colours. They're hard to tell apart with a slight layer of grime.
:D

Winters in Seattle are filthy, so maybe I'll be able to see how I like Meteor Gray when my Ice Silver misses a bath.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I nearly went for Meteor based on how it looked in the showroom, ie very pearlescent with subtle colour (color for the US members :)) changes. Then I saw it outside in dull weather, that changed my mind so I went for Phantom Black.
On the issue of keeping clean, I have just polished my car with Autoglym High Definition Wax. I was totally amazed at the shine and finish, its far better than anything I have ever used before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts