Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. not long since bought a 3.0 tdi Quattro. I am needing to change the tyres and have been told you must change all 4 at the same time. Is this correct? If it is I might need to buy smaller rims, at the moment they are 275x30x20 and suffer from tram/lining.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
No, you don't, but would advise change a pair on the same axle at the same time. The Quattro system isn't delicate like some 4WD systems. It just might not perform at it's optimum if the tyres are not equal all round.

Yes with 275 tyres and especially worn, they probably will tramline! :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think old-school quattro (without the clutch pack) is fine if the tire diameters are off by a little. There is still some higher spinning of the gears but there is always constant contact and nothing wearable is consumed.

The new ones with the clutch pack (quattro with ultra) is more concerning.

Since the computer is designed for same diameter wheels all around, when it sees different wheel spinning speeds, it might think it's a slippage and start to engage/disegage the clutch packs/brakes a lot more often and quickly wear them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that guys. Think I will change to smaller wheels might be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi. not long since bought a 3.0 tdi Quattro. I am needing to change the tyres and have been told you must change all 4 at the same time. Is this correct? If it is I might need to buy smaller rims, at the moment they are 275x30x20 and suffer from tram/lining.
When I purchased my 2011 A5 about a year ago, it tramlined like crazy even after putting on new tires. It turns out it was way out of alignment. A little pricey since it will be a 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Should only be put of alignment if it's taken a knock or had suspension work. But maybe worth paying for it doing. For the sake of 90 quid it's less than a price of a new tyre.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When I purchased my 2011 A5 about a year ago, it tramlined like crazy even after putting on new tires. It turns out it was way out of alignment. A little pricey since it will be a 4 wheel alignment.
Yep and if it had the original Pirelli pzero rossos, then the tramlining would be worse! Funny thing is, I drove along the road where the Manchester Metrolink is and drove on the tramlines and it literally followed the tram lines, the steering wheel actually turned to follow them!! Bit like Sergei - Automated!! :D

I had the proper 4 wheel alignment done on mine, £120, but they adjust the castor and camber too, not just the toe! Still tramlines with the Pzero tyres! Mine was out and on the alignment display looked like a hill billy's teeth. Rear had too much neg camber and toed out, front was toeing out. This is on a car with less than 40k miles and been through Audi approved used!

My advice is to get the alignment checked every 12 months! And don't buy the Pzeros! You don't need to hit a pothole or curb to put it out of alignment! Even brand new cars should be checked after 12 months as the suspension 'wears' or settles, bushes settle etc and with the multi point suspension on the B8 chassis, a mm here or there will alter the alignment!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I agree with those comments Dave and indeed I always get my vehicles serviced at least anually PLUS a trip to my tyre man is also at least once a year. When they puy the car up and you can get underneath you can see loads of stuff that we normally cannot of course. I also take a big can of WD40 with me so that I can keep the underside lubed....

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I agree with those comments Dave and indeed I always get my vehicles serviced at least anually PLUS a trip to my tyre man is also at least once a year. When they puy the car up and you can get underneath you can see loads of stuff that we normally cannot of course. I also take a big can of WD40 with me so that I can keep the underside lubed....
I wouldn't use WD40, it washes off and also damages rubber, like the suspension bushes! A lithium spray would be better, but it will look like you have resprayed the underneath with white paint! :)
Use the Waxoyl spray, this is what the classic car guys use, it is pretty much permanent, or a 'lighter' spray, which I used on an old Honda 200CBT in the winter Tested: Scottoiler FS 365 corrosion protectant review

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When I got my factory P-zeros replaced by PS4Ss last year I asked for an alignment check and it was out. So I think even the cumulative effect of minor potholes eventually takes its toll.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When I got my factory P-zeros replaced by PS4Ss last year I asked for an alignment check and it was out. So I think even the cumulative effect of minor potholes eventually takes its toll.
Or just the 'natural' settling of the suspension components. :)
If you want to keep the geometry of your suspension and don't mind extra noise and suppleness, change the setup from ball joints and rubber bushings to rose joints and solid bushings, otherwise expect to have the geometry adjusted every now and then. :)

All my cars have been fairly long term (3 years plus) and all of them have had to have more than 1 geometry check/adjustments.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep and if it had the original Pirelli pzero rossos, then the tramlining would be worse! Funny thing is, I drove along the road where the Manchester Metrolink is and drove on the tramlines and it literally followed the tram lines, the steering wheel actually turned to follow them!! Bit like Sergei - Automated!! :D

I had the proper 4 wheel alignment done on mine, £120, but they adjust the castor and camber too, not just the toe! Still tramlines with the Pzero tyres! Mine was out and on the alignment display looked like a hill billy's teeth. Rear had too much neg camber and toed out, front was toeing out. This is on a car with less than 40k miles and been through Audi approved used!

My advice is to get the alignment checked every 12 months! And don't buy the Pzeros! You don't need to hit a pothole or curb to put it out of alignment! Even brand new cars should be checked after 12 months as the suspension 'wears' or settles, bushes settle etc and with the multi point suspension on the B8 chassis, a mm here or there will alter the alignment!
Good advice. Except I would not write of all Pirelli's. The cars on my A% when I purchased it were Continental Extreme Contacts just about worn out. The tramlining was worse with those than the Pirelli P4 All Season Plus. I've had them about year in wet Oregon with some snow and they have been great tires (except on ice). Quiet, great on wet roads, and comfortable on shitty streets.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
To be honest, the Pzeros were probably better when new. They came on the car when I bought it and they are nearing the wear limit markers, so will be changing them this summer.

Got my Michelin Alpin winter tyres on at the moment for all the 10 snow flakes we have had in the UK! :)

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Fat sleeping policemen........no, not the ones you see in Mackie d's....
The wide traffic calming humps beloved by our local councils. (That's why they have no tarmac left to fill in the potholes)
Anyway been advised to go over them by getting one side on the flat and the other on the hump as it causes less misalignment than an equal straddle.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Fat sleeping policemen........no, not the ones you see in Mackie d's....
The wide traffic calming humps beloved by our local councils. (That's why they have no tarmac left to fill in the potholes)
Anyway been advised to go over them by getting one side on the flat and the other on the hump as it causes less misalignment than an equal straddle.
Good to know. I’ve always straddled... and speed bumps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I agree with several points thanks Dave! And re the Pirellis I too greatly enjoyed them on my A5, they were just a bit tricky in the wet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts