Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the way each of you treated the S5 on your test drive(s), would you consider purchasing a dealer demo S5 with 1600 miles for MSRP - $2600 (I think I also would not pay the gas guzzler tax so total saved is 2600 + 1300?). I took it pretty easy on my test drive with just a few moderately hard bouts of acceleration. So, if everyone drove this car the same way I did, I would have no problems with that aspect of this transaction. If I get more than a couple responses similar to "Are you kidding? I beat the **** out of it!", I'll have to reconsider. thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
personally i beat the crap out of the demo car. it had 4300 miles. then i bought the car myself. saved £2800 off list price and got the car immediately (October). personally the car will be with me for 3yrs max so its always under warranty. as long as the car wasn't tracked/drifted/accident then it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
if i were going to lease it and get rid of it under warranty, i'd consider it. i would never buy one. i've got a thing, maybe it's OCD, where i can't stand the thought of other people having driven my car without the level of care i would have for it, and you can guarantee that demo cars have exactly that. statistically speaking a demo car will likely be just as good as any other car (aside from the one at my dealer that dropped a clutch).. i would insist on a new set of tires along with audicare thrown in, personally..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think it is very unlikely that a bit of hard use will be a problem long term. I read up about the brutal "running in" technique and used that on my last car (not really brutal, as i took car to warm the oil etc) and it ran brilliantly- used little oil and was happy to rev to the red line for the 40,000+ miles that i had it. the only matter that would bother me is if it is used hard with cold oil or if the clutch is punished. Lets face it, when the car goes out for a test drive with the garage do you know they are being careful? I know of some people on the BMW m3 forum that had full real time tracking systems in their cars and had to confront the garage after a service when the system showed the car had been over 100mph (the garage had some explaining to do!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Picking Up Demo this Morning

I leased the demo and am picking up tomorrow am (feb. 4) . . . they knocked off $3K, included audicare, front filler plate, etc. and the car has 1,300 miles. I wasn't planning on getting demo but they offered it to me since I wanted pricing around barebone S5 . . . I got the fully loaded version for the barebone price.

The key thing here (as long as you know the car hasn't been in accident or something) is that you get the car now . . . not months from now. I had to wait for a couple weeks for the demo and the wait was excruciating (relatively speaking) . . . I don't know how other people are waiting it out all these months. Go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fraser,

To your point about mechanics test-driving cars after working on them... when I used to frequent the Mini Cooper forum (I'm coming from a Mini S) there was someone claiming to have witnessed cars being unloaded from the ship at, I think, Port of Newark NJ, and being absolutely abused while driven to the storage area.

Vin points out that the car will be under warranty. As Bri says, I guess I just need to decide if I'll be able to live with the car's "shady past". thx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Wamblin. You're getting a better deal than I have so far. Based on the comments here and the fact that I will be purchasing my S5 I've pretty much decided I'll need to sweeten my deal a bit. If I can't do that then I'll order a new car and hope I see it before September. The dealer did assure me that between now and Feb 22 (when I can take delivery) there would be no more rides in the car (which we can verify via the odometer). thx.

·
Registered
75 Posts
even with a shady past, if the new owner treats it with care and tenderness, it'll be fine =D hehe

anyways... as people have posted before, as long as the car hasn't been in an accident it should be no problem at all,

·
Registered
231 Posts
im my younger years i worked in admin at an Audi dealer.

im not eve exaggerating, customers cars with 6 miles on the clock were hand brake turned and red-lined off the car carrier. very very rare but did happen

once a demo car. a totally blacked out rs4 (B6) avant was ragged silly. they were testing 0-60times. how do i know? i was in the passenger seat. car had less than 30 miles on the clock.

more than demo cars, i would be very wary of any vehice being sold as an audi management vehicle. if it was genuinely managment vehicle then its fine. but sometimes if it is registered to the importer (eg. Audi UK Ltd) then it may have been a press car. and we all know how press cars are treated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I was going to purchase a local demo until a customer at one of my dealers cancelled at the 11th hour and I ended-up buying that car. The best deal I could negotiate on a local demo was AudiCare for no charge and $1 off each mile on the odo at the time of delivery. Also, the two dealers close to me told me the CPO warranty would be included!

That being said, a demo will have been beat-on to say the least (IMHO)

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wamblin and VictorNJ, you guys are getting really good deals.

I got a call from my dealership last week saying that the process to sell the demo was going to be by calling all the customers who placed orders on the same order that were placed, therefore, the earliest or 1st customer, was going to be contacted, will call the 2nd on the list if the 1st one passes on it and so forth...

The conditions for the sale were:
- Car will be SOLD, not leased (don't ask me why)
- Car will be sold no less than MSRP
- Call will have a "marketing adjustment" and some other dealer installed options (clear bra @ a high price) that could top off about $2000

Of course my inmediate response was... Don't bother to call me.

IMO, I'd be kinda ok with the clear bra thing, but the $2K addition and not able to decide what financial transaction I want to do to get it, is just not acceptable to me.

Demos is the typical Meteor / Magma / Carbon / loaded.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i got a demo unit that this dealer REFUSED to let anybody drive. this means they did not even have an S5 available for test drive, which is pretty bold if you ask me... anyhow, they intended on selling it as a pretty much new car from the get-go. it was in the showroom until the day i bought it, then they moved it to the warehouse. had 11 miles on it though technically a demo, so they gave me audi care for free and all-season tires at cost (allegedly at cost, anyways). i don't feel bad about that at all.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i got a demo unit that this dealer REFUSED to let anybody drive. this means they did not even have an S5 available for test drive, which is pretty bold if you ask me... anyhow, they intended on selling it as a pretty much new car from the get-go. it was in the showroom until the day i bought it, then they moved it to the warehouse. had 11 miles on it though technically a demo, so they gave me audi care for free and all-season tires at cost (allegedly at cost, anyways). i don't feel bad about that at all.
Attam,

You got a good deal there. My dealer did not even get a demo. Luckily I was able to see the A5 and sit in one in a dealer in Italy while there on a business trip. This allowed me to confirm that the kids would fit in the back no problem. I just had to wait another 3 months from that first sitting to get my car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Victor, where in NJ are you and which dealer are you looking at? If you ar looking at Bell's demo in Rahway; (1) I've driven that demo and it is a sweet ride, and (2) I know the dealer had put restrictions on how the demo could be driven and wasn't letting people take it on the highway. That's not to say that some of the sales satff might have taken it out and run the hell out of it, but I can tell you that everyone who works in that showroom really appreciates the S5 for the work of art it is, so it is unlikely to have been abused.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is your dealership in Westchester, NY?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wamblin and VictorNJ, you guys are getting really good deals.

I got a call from my dealership last week saying that the process to sell the demo was going to be by calling all the customers who placed orders on the same order that were placed, therefore, the earliest or 1st customer, was going to be contacted, will call the 2nd on the list if the 1st one passes on it and so forth...

The conditions for the sale were:
- Car will be SOLD, not leased (don't ask me why)
- Car will be sold no less than MSRP
- Call will have a "marketing adjustment" and some other dealer installed options (clear bra @ a high price) that could top off about $2000

Of course my inmediate response was... Don't bother to call me.

IMO, I'd be kinda ok with the clear bra thing, but the $2K addition and not able to decide what financial transaction I want to do to get it, is just not acceptable to me.

Demos is the typical Meteor / Magma / Carbon / loaded.
Wait a sec, your dealer expects to sell it's demo S5 for 2k over MSRP... and I got 1500 off a new ordered S5. You must have a terrible dealer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Palisades car right? They had a Red car that they used for Demos, and are now having a really hard selling. Your Meteor / Magma car has already been registered and has about 38 miles on it if I remember correctly. It was driven by the owner for about a week. The only thing that was weird about that car was that it had NY plates and a registration sticker ON the car sitting in the show room... That dealer is still a bit shady to me. But congrats on the car, you should be getting it soon no?!?!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Palisades car right? They had a Red car that they used for Demos, and are now having a really hard selling. Your Meteor / Magma car has already been registered and has about 38 miles on it if I remember correctly. It was driven by the owner for about a week. The only thing that was weird about that car was that it had NY plates and a registration sticker ON the car sitting in the show room... That dealer is still a bit shady to me. But congrats on the car, you should be getting it soon no?!?!
yeah, that's the one. it was registered, but that kind of makes sense as it was given to them by audi for the purpose of being a test drive car. i had thought the red one was undriven as well. but wasnt paying much attention. sadly, i still have til the end of the month until i get it. but somehow that seems infinitely closer than i was 3 weeks ago...

Jimmyz, yes, palisades audi in west nyack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait a sec, your dealer expects to sell it's demo S5 for 2k over MSRP... and I got 1500 off a new ordered S5. You must have a terrible dealer.
That's the worst part... as a dealership they're top notch, it really surprised me that approach because that tells me that they're playing the offer-demand game, w/o considering anything else, the dealer is loacated in a over-average wealth area, so, they know somebody will buy the car, even if it's over sticker.

What can I do?.. that's why is not called Talyvan Audi dealership.. hehe

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah, that's the one. it was registered, but that kind of makes sense as it was given to them by audi for the purpose of being a test drive car. i had thought the red one was undriven as well. but wasnt paying much attention. sadly, i still have til the end of the month until i get it. but somehow that seems infinitely closer than i was 3 weeks ago...

Jimmyz, yes, palisades audi in west nyack.
The only reason that confused me, is because the Red one that they actually use to drive around did NOT have a registration sticker :confused: But hey, 3 weeks! not to bad!!! I still want a ride :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts