Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question. I was pulled over by traffic police today saying my exhaust was too loud. After inspection it was found to be the standard RS Sports exhaust from factory. But they said any, ANY, modification from stick breaches section 54 of the road traffic act. I asked if my exhaust rusted off and if I were to purchase a stainless Steele Miltek for example (louder than stock), would that be illegal?
All they said was look it up in section 54? So is any modification illegal and would I be wasting money purchasing an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sounds like they just wanted to bust your balls. Modified exhausts are not illegal. There maybe something in noise levels but the fact that they think a car may only have an exhaust from the manufacturer is BS imho

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like they just wanted to bust your balls. Modified exhausts are not illegal. There maybe something in noise levels but the fact that they think a car may only have an exhaust from the manufacturer is BS imho
These aftermarket exhausts do cost a bit of money and I wouldn’t want to throw that sort of cash away if it was illegal. These aftermarket exhaust companies sell these systems and would state if they are track only and not road compliant.
Would removing a Centre muffler and-or downpipe res delete fall foul with them too? because they went under the car to look to see if any mufflers or other part of the exhaust had been touched. They inspected it front to back a thorough going over.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Simple straightforward envy....were they in a Peugeot?
And according to their logic, fluffy dice, dangly air fresheners and phone holders are illegal as they don't come as standard.

Miltek have a range of TUV tested EU approved systems and some which are track use only.

They also have valved systems which CAN be compliant.

Modern car exhausts are becoming so complicated engineering alternatives is very difficult.
So Miltek are also selling sound generators as most people are looking for more aggressive soundtracks not more performance. Again easily switchable off the app to meet the oem spec or indeed be even quieter.

This conversation last Monday with Kev, Milteks R&D manager. Suspect he knows more about exhausts than a couple of bully boy jealous plods.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rackingman, Thanks for the info, it seems such a grey area and as far as they were concerned if I’d fluffy dice that would certainly have had them pull the “on the spot fine” 😂
Luckily this time I was still stock so they left only having had “that nice chat”.
When pulling away to resume my journey I switched to dynamic and gave the right foot a little pressure.

·
208 Posts
After a little Googling around, modification to the exhaust to increase the noise over standard is illegal with a fixed penalty of £50 and no points. They must have had a slow day or were a little bored, who knows.

·
Registered
798 Posts
There's always a paragraph whore present in every police farce.. You were just unlucky that day, but from what I reckon different countries enforce the law differently when it comes to modifications. If you're only suffering a chat or the rare fine I wouldn't break a sweat tbh.

Regards

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a little Googling around, modification to the exhaust to increase the noise over standard is illegal with a fixed penalty of £50 and no points. They must have had a slow day or were a little bored, who knows.
JohnS4, that’s exactly how they put it. Any mod that deliberately increases the noise over stock is illegal. I won’t worry about it but if I was to spend 2k plus on a Miltek or AWE for example I might be forced to remove it if they pulled me over for another one of their “chats”.
To me that says any aftermarket exhaust will be frowned upon as they are all designed to increase noise from stock.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
To me that says any aftermarket exhaust will be frowned upon as they are all designed to increase noise from stock.
That's not actually true. Some are designed to increase noise but not all. Exhausts which are designed to increase performance may or may not increase noise as a side-effect.

On the core subject - the new EU rules mean that car manufacturers will no longer be able to include devices which alter exhaust noise. This might mean that the Police will notice those with loud exhausts even more!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not actually true. Some are designed to increase noise but not all. Exhausts which are designed to increase performance may or may not increase noise as a side-effect.

On the core subject - the new EU rules mean that car manufacturers will no longer be able to include devices which alter exhaust noise. This might mean that the Police will notice those with loud exhausts even more!
Dippy, the soul of all our cars are going to completely disappear. Ive just checked your signature S5 MRC stage 2 - we better enjoy your V6 & V8’s while we can 👍

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've come back to this thread a few times, and I've come to the conclusion the Mr Plod is a arse.

Makes you realise how those folk that are stopped and searched for no reason must also feel.

Also makes you want to go get a bloody loud exhaust just to wind them up. (Probably a own goal though).

As you say though, let's enjoy them whilst we can, won't be long before we are all in glorified milk floats with no soul

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Dippy, the soul of all our cars are going to completely disappear. Ive just checked your signature S5 MRC stage 2 - we better enjoy your V6 & V8’s while we can.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've come back to this thread a few times, and I've come to the conclusion the Mr Plod is a arse.

Makes you realise how those folk that are stopped and searched for no reason must also feel.

Also makes you want to go get a bloody loud exhaust just to wind them up. (Probably a own goal though).

As you say though, let's enjoy them whilst we can, won't be long before we are all in glorified milk floats with no soul
Tony,
I see an opportunity for Capristo, Miltek etc to make an aftermarket device for those horrendous milk floats.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Actually reviewed this thread and my opinion of plod.
It's obvious that have done a wonderful job in doing away with modern slavery, domestic and social violence including rape, all theft and burglary, gang warfare and knife crime, fraud and scams, not to mention drugs. That's the only possible reason for them having nothing else to do.....

Just out of interest, is this them?

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's obvious that have done a wonderful job in doing away with modern slavery, domestic and social violence including rape, all theft and burglary, gang warfare and knife crime, fraud and scams, not to mention drugs. That's the only possible reason for them having nothing else to do.....

Exactly the image I had in my head

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

How did you manage to tap in to my dash cam, yup that’s the two ladies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Were you messing around, dropping gears to play with the exhaust note?
asthankfully I’ve never had any trouble, I have a straight through system on my MC stradale, but whenever in residential areas keep it quiet with valves shut.

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Came as a shock and you owe me beer...

Normally when I hack your cameras I get coppers like this....

Reactions: MrFergus

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Were you messing around, dropping gears to play with the exhaust note?
asthankfully I’ve never had any trouble, I have a straight through system on my MC stradale, but whenever in residential areas keep it quiet with valves shut.
Honestly just driving normally on the outskirts of a town. 30 ish mph with no play on the throttle. I think it was a quiet Sunday for them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Honestly just driving normally on the outskirts of a town. 30 ish mph with no play on the throttle. I think it was a quiet Sunday for them.
i must be lucky then! When I got pulled for no front number plate they didn’t comment on the exhaust 😂
No fine for the number plate either

1 - 20 of 29 Posts