Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told by a tyre fitter in Cyprus and the customer support from Black Circles that the PSS might not be a good choice for my Audi A5 quattro because they are soft tyres and this will mean that they will wear out extremely fast in the hot weather of Cyprus.

He also said that the same applies to the PS3 - unlike in the UK where they could last longer as stated by Michelin. He recommended the PS2 that he says are of a harder compound and will last longer.

But Michelin states that PS3 last longer in general.. :S

New Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (PS3) | Tyre News

What is your opinion on this?

·
Registered
442 Posts
What a bad tyre fitter you have there in cyprus, my friend...

The PS3 will last more if you don't drive very fast, but if you drive fast they last maybe a bit more but, they will grip much less than the others.

About the PS2 they are really great tyres but, the new PSS are a new generation of the same tyre, so they last more than the PS2 and the overall grip is better both in dry or wet.

So my advice is go for the PSS if you can afford them, or instead You can go for the Good Year F1 assymetric 2, which are very similar to the PSS, being a bit cheaper, with a bit more grip on wet and a bit less grip on dry roads.
About lasting, I think they will be quite similar...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your input

I also emailed Michelin and they told me that temperature is not a problem.

On the other hand, I forgot to mention that I have been advised that softer tyres mean that in roads of bad condition (like in Cyprus), with pot holes, they are much more prone to punctures. So that has to be a factor too. Michelin has denied that too

Anyways, tyres are an issue that troubles people I guess from what I read & I am puzzled indeed

·
Registered
590 Posts
With the price of the PSS being about $100 less than the PS3's, I would say go for them. The PSS's are rated at 300 AA A while the PS3's are rated at 320 AA A. My suggestion is to just go with the better technology of the newer tire and don't worry about things. Michelin has designed their tires to handle all sorts of road conditions and unless all your roads are unpaved in Cyprus, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Which is the best tyre option(budget and high perfornance) for 2.0T QUATTRO A5 S-TRONIC in a hot country like Cyprus for dry grip?
The raining days here aren't so common.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
PSS or GYF1A2 would be my choice.
These are both made fom the latest compounds and not only will grip well but will last well too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
PS3 would probably get best mileage based on lower rolling resistance. I have all 3 tires on either MY S5, A6, or A3. All good..I have PS3's on A6 and am very happy and would have to saying they are wearing about same as PS2's...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts