Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a factory sticker that says "Protected by an Audi GPS tracking device".
What does this mean in reality? Anyone know how I use / access the service should I need to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Interesting. Not heard of that. Where is the sticker? What A5 do you have (B8, B8.5 or B9) and what region are you in? Did u buy new or used?
If I recall correctly, I had an option to add a tracker when I bought new (I didn’t opt for it). Maybe it’s that? For it to be active, I believe a subscription is involved.
I have Audi connect which allows me to check the GPS location of my car, but it’s not an anti theft device. Just allows me to checked location of parked car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi danjwilson - It's a 2009 (B8 I think) S5 Cab in the UK that I bought a few weeks ago.
The sticker is on the drivers rear side window. Not checked the passenger side.

I suspect that the Audi connect system you mention uses the same tracking capability. After all, tracking is not about anti-theft, it's about tracking your car if it's been stolen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few months ago l looked into fitting a tracker; when checking them out on YouTube there was also a video on how to check if a tracker has been fitted to a car. You will usually need a subscription and also recharge the battery of the device. So instead l have a good quality steering lock, hopefully this is a strong visual deterrent and will ensure the car is where I left it. A one off payment and less hassle than trying to locate a stolen car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some just put a sticker on as a deterrent- I have
'ATTENTION! OBD PORT IMMOBILISED' stickers on mine and have an Autowatch Ghost fitted.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Audi sell and install a GPS tracker accessory (certainly used to anyway).

I would ask your Audi dealer about it, I'm sure they can tell you if it's really there and if anything needs to be done to activate it / make use of it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The B8 does include a "vehicle location" module as standard. In all probability it can only become of any benefit in conjunction with paying Audi for the accessory as @paradyne mentioned.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Hiya mob!! As far as I know.....

1. When you get a tracker and or a black box (for the insurance) fitted, even you the car owner are not told where the device has been installed. This is I guess kind of for your own safety and or to ensure that you cannot remove the black box.
2. Usually no stickers are fitted so that the tea leaf does not know if the car has one or not.
3. Therefore when they steal a car they will park it in a public place and wait a few days. IF the car has not been reclaimed then they know that no tracker is fitted. This is not the pro of course, they simply take the car into a screened location so that they then have time to find and remove the transmitter.
4. Good motors are generally stolen "to order" to be either ringed, exported or broken for spares and the chance of finding a car is slim also cos the police are generally too busy and car theft is generally not high priority.

I first had a tracker fitted to my new Passat after my stunning Golf GTI had gone missing and of course no one steals a Passat!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts